Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Favorite brand of tyres+How many sets you use a month? >

Favorite brand of tyres+How many sets you use a month?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite brand of tyres+How many sets you use a month?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Questions?? Favorite brand of tyres+How many sets you use a month?

Hi, all Im curious as to what are people fav make of tyres, I have personally only ever tried Proline and LRP Vtec. But hope to soon try some AKA-Heard good things. What do people mostly run ect..

And how many sets of tyres do you get/ use a month.. and how much you race/practice with them. Really curious about this later question, as im just getting into racing.. and have now got 2 sets of Vtec Kamakazi-control tyre. And have 1 set I use for practice, and another set on order to race with this sunday? cheers
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

it all depends on track you ran on.
we got one track that eats tires incredibly fast - 1 truggy set per about 30-60minutes, 1 buggy set per 15-30 minutes of hard racing
On some tracks tires can last ages.

There are three basic thread types (like crime fighter, like Holeshot, Like Bowtie). I usually have super soft and soft compound from each type

I really like proline tires but balancing them is a pain so i mostly run GRP cubics on my truggy and if really needed Proline Holeshots. Only few tracks need GRP grip (bow ties).
I got some AKA buggy tires to test but with so huge price difference i will probalby endup running GRP as I can get them way cheaper.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Try the VP-PRO tires they come in sets of 4 really cheap with molded inserts. They last longer than PL. AKA's I am shure are excellent or everybody wouldnt be swearing by them, they will be my next set.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

Yea, thats very true depends on the track, and how much it wears them out.. interesting info though
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Proline is still my tire of choice but I am still experimenting with Aka's. I will burn up 1-2 sets in a club night depending on the competition or track conditions, but usually just one set. In a month I probably use 5-6 sets of tires.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

I like Proline Bowties, Crimefighter, Holeshot, and AKA Citiblocks (havent tried the other AKA tires). The PL tires are good but the foam sucks, the tire will have plenty of tread left but the foam will be flat. The Citiblocks I have are 3 weekends used and still feel like they did straight out of the pack, but they are just about used up.

I got a chance to run my M3 Revolvers on V2 wheels yesterday. Very good tire for the condition the track was in (hard as a rock with light dust in the racing line). I will get another set of them but I wont use the PL foam again.

Couldnt tell you how much time racing I get on a set of tires, I dont really keep up with it. I just buy a new set whenever the ones I have are used up.
Whenever I put a brand new set of tires on the car I label which ones go where, like RF RR etc. That way I can rotate them between races. That really helps your tires last.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

I use AKA cityblocks in the soft compound. I race biweekly and have used only one set for racing and practice since november of '08
Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Alan D.
I use AKA cityblocks in the soft compound. I race biweekly and have used only one set for racing and practice since november of '08
How much of the small pin do you have left on your Citiblocks? I have Soft compound also, there is maybe 20-30% of the original height left. My local track is kinda abrasive, it will eat a set of M3 Holeshots in no time.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

None. Its riding on the second set of blocks (the bigger ones) and they still feel good. I'm not hurting for traction.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NCWC
How much of the small pin do you have left on your Citiblocks? I have Soft compound also, there is maybe 20-30% of the original height left. My local track is kinda abrasive, it will eat a set of M3 Holeshots in no time.
I hate holeshots with a passion. I don't like buying tires after every main.
I don't care how much traction they have or what anybody says I wouldn't run holeshots. I'll will only run cityublocks or the new cross brace. Good stuff.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I love the Hot Bodies Tires. Mainly the protos, but the khaos, blocks, and megabites work awesome as well.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

I use a mix between Proline range classic (bowtie /crimfighters on M2), Medialpro and 6Mik (weapon/joker).
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought a set of AKA Grid Irons yesterday. At my local track they are by far the best tire I have come across. Tried every Proline tire out there. The AKA is a sweet tire. Grips real nice and wears pretty slow.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like the AKA's will soon take over the top, tyres haha Hopefully try some asap.. just had to get some new LRP Kamakazi.. but for my next set I will get some AKA's to try out.. shame, that for our local track, we have the Kamakazi as a control tyre.. little annoying..
Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Grid irons, I-beams.

One set a month. Like to use tires for two races then for prctice, plus a set for practice that are usually harder compound with more tread (el cheapo tires)

Was a little disappointed in th city blocks. Only hooked up if I was smooth. Not aggressive enough. Like the I-beams better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.