Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

AKA tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just been graced by the best looking and feeling Truggy tire set-up in my life!!

I have the first production samples of the new Truggy CitiBlock and I-beam sitting here in my desk with AKA foam (Just like the buggy) and Aka wheels!! OMG these tires are going to be the ONLY tuggy tire to have!!!!!

Look for them in mass production at the end of November hopefully!! And if your going to the R/C Pro Finals you will get a sneak peak! ;-)
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ryan, will you maybe have some samples or any Truggy tires that you may be able to help out a Fellow Kyosho Driver with (Me) @ the R/C Pro Finals! LOL! J/K! I've had 5 pairs on backorder since July 5th!!! Seriously though, I do hope I get a chance to talk to you @ the R/C Pro Finals!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Ryan when you say NO prep do you mean no brake clean on rim & tire bead?No sanding big chunks of flashing from either side of the bead? Let me make this as clear a question as possable,Open bags,assemble wheel,glue with no roughing or cleaning of any kind? That sounds too good to be true.Surely you mean only minimal time like 10min of prep?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

butch man: I can't speak for Ryan, but that's the way I understood it when I got mine & glued them up. I currently have 6 sets of these glued up & that's all I did was take the tires & rims out of their bags & just glued them up without doing any prep at all & still have yet to have any tires come unglued in any way, IMO alot of it also has to do with the fact that the inserts in these tires are so Awesome that they don't allow much carcass roll as they are firm & any/most of the roll would come from the tire itself (the nobbies), I have soft & medium compounds & have had great luck with all of them. The wear on these tires are incredible, after a qualifier & a 30 Min. main in Alabama & pretty much all this past weekend in Lafayette, LA with a set of Soft compound I Beams & still show Little to No wear. Looking at the back of the bag on these tires, I currently have 8 runs on these tires & they still look & feel great! I CAN'T WAIT 'til the Truggy tires come out, was really hoping to have all mine in before the R/C Pro Finals, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I friend gave my son a pair of soft city blocks to try this weekend, he was running on a small hard packed track. The grin on his face when he came off the track told me everything i needed to now, i went and bought a set today
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

im looking foward to run AKA tires on my final round JBRL race 8.. lets see how it holds up!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Are the pros still putting holes in the actual tire on the AKAs? Would hate to ruin these pretty foams. If so , how big and how many?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by butch man
Ryan when you say NO prep do you mean no brake clean on rim & tire bead?No sanding big chunks of flashing from either side of the bead? Let me make this as clear a question as possable,Open bags,assemble wheel,glue with no roughing or cleaning of any kind? That sounds too good to be true.Surely you mean only minimal time like 10min of prep?

I mean yes, exactly what you said. Open package and glue. The only exception is occasionally on the Soft compound tires they will have some flashing due to them being hard to cut for the machine or whatever they use. Other than that, no prep! But I won't recommend that if you change any of the variables.
AKA tire
AKA wheel
AKA foam
AKA glue
Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stipres
Are the pros still putting holes in the actual tire on the AKAs? Would hate to ruin these pretty foams. If so , how big and how many?
I generally run two holes in the tire. Just a standard holepunch size. They don't need to be big and you really only need one hole. They are closed cell foams and thus don't really need to 'breath' like Open cell.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Ryan, what do you gain from hole-punching your tires? Equivilant to holes in the inner wheel?

-Red
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

+1
Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by KRCRacer22
You would not want to run AKA tires without the AKA insert. That is one of the most inovative and critical parts!!!

Correct that the I-beam is the most similar to a Boe-tie.

The entire AKA package of tire/foam/wheel/glue is of course the best combination to use because the product was meant for each other. The fit and finish of each piece works together.
Of course other wheels / foams / glue will work though..
Thank you! I didn't know AKA had rims.
SO, if I-beams are working in the loamy then later in day track grooves alittle what tire is next? Or just what is the AKA tire order from loamy to blue groove?

Really appreciate the help! Other companies could learn some things
Old 10-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by redman11
Ryan, what do you gain from hole-punching your tires? Equivilant to holes in the inner wheel?

-Red
Well when you are on an outdoor dirt track you generally want to put the holes in the tires that way if you get dirt or water in them it will in principle fling out of the tire. If you put the holes in the wheels then the dirt can get inside and deteriorate the foams ext..

If you are on a clay track or bluegroove track feel free to put the hole in the tire or the wheel. Personal preference then.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KRCRacer22
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just been graced by the best looking and feeling Truggy tire set-up in my life!!

I have the first production samples of the new Truggy CitiBlock and I-beam sitting here in my desk with AKA foam (Just like the buggy) and Aka wheels!! OMG these tires are going to be the ONLY tuggy tire to have!!!!!

Look for them in mass production at the end of November hopefully!! And if your going to the R/C Pro Finals you will get a sneak peak! ;-)
OMG I can't wait! They are going to be awesome!

Ryan are the wheels any different from a standard LPR size wheel? Just asking cause I don't want to stock up on the JC Half ups I normally run if they won't work..
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JayL
Thank you! I didn't know AKA had rims.
SO, if I-beams are working in the loamy then later in day track grooves alittle what tire is next? Or just what is the AKA tire order from loamy to blue groove?

Really appreciate the help! Other companies could learn some things
Actually you may want to try the CitiBlocks and or Cross Braces on your loamy track as well. If you want more steering and have plenty of traction try Citiblock front and I-beam rear or Cross Brace front and I-beam rear.

On top of that in the transition period where maybe you have hardpack underneath with just a fine layer of loose dirt on top then the Gridirons are the bomb!! Also on the Bluegroove track the Gridirons are awesome and if your looking for an hour long main tire on an abrasive bluegroove track then the Cityblocks are again the tire of choice!!

Keep the questions coming guys! These tires are awesome and everyone owes it to themselves to give them a try!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.