Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The only fuel I tried that I did not care for is TQ, not awful but not as good as others, I bought a case of it so I would say it is not first impressions talking here. I have run Sidewinder, bryons, O'Donnell, TQ and now a local made fuel.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

If you can get it. Tornado 25% works great. My rank is Gen II, Tornado, then O'donnells 20%.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Glad to hear that everyone likes Byrons. I guess I'll stick with this brand.

Just for the record, I did use Traxxas 33% for a while, but it was much tooo gummy, for my liking.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

What ever happened to White Lightning? that was my absolute favorite back in the day, and the castor oil smell always made me think of being around dirt bikes.

Currently, I run Byron Gen2 30% in my S7. Great fuel, never had an issue once. As far as the O'Donnel, it's not a terribly bad fuel, and I'll run it if I have to. The Sidewinder seemed OK, but the oil content was far too low for me to be comfortable with. Motor always liked to run real hot, and fattening it up just made it run terrible.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Blue thunder no, oddonell alright, Nitrotane great except hard to see in the tank and local hobby shop stopped carrying it???? Now running Byron 30% 9% in my speed and im very impressed.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fear
What ever happened to White Lightning? that was my absolute favorite back in the day, and the castor oil smell always made me think of being around dirt bikes.

Currently, I run Byron Gen2 30% in my S7. Great fuel, never had an issue once. As far as the O'Donnel, it's not a terribly bad fuel, and I'll run it if I have to. The Sidewinder seemed OK, but the oil content was far too low for me to be comfortable with. Motor always liked to run real hot, and fattening it up just made it run terrible.

you may have been running world championship blend which i think is 8% oil ...very small tuning window with that low of oil content
Old 10-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by el Bourlando
Blue thunder no, oddonell alright, Nitrotane great except hard to see in the tank and local hobby shop stopped carrying it???? Now running Byron 30% 9% in my speed and im very impressed.
thats the pro driver ? right it has the lower oil content .....sometimes its hard to tell with all the different blends of fuels...but yeh you can kinda see alot of people are fond of byrons ........me included ...jumping off band wagon now
Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've run Werks fuels and I really liked it. It was the expense of it around here that got to me. Couldn't justify it.

I used to run Sidewinder as well. I had some tuning issues and blew an engine prematurley. Partly my fault, no question, but I know part of it was fuels as well. A lot of the guys were running the Sidewinder and were having issue's. A few guys stopped running it and started with other fuels and their tuning issues went away.

A few of those guys ended up running Byrons Gen 1 and liking it. I wasn't a big fan. I thought the oil package as a whole was causing me some greif for start up. I tried ARO, no ARO, diferent storage, etc and it didn't matter. That's when I went to the Werks fuel. Gen 2 Byrons came out and I tried it. I don't think I'll switch for quite some time unless I get a ride. When switching my temps went down, power went up, mileage went up. What more can you ask for in a fuel?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Werks was my favorite(& cheapest) then became hard to get & expensive.I now run gen2 & tune & temp are nearly the same & I get it cheaper than Werks for now.When the cheap gen2 runs out I'm gonna make the long drive for lower price & start buying Werks by the case again.Either will work superb but if those 2 are un-obtainable you could always convert to electric.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CJ RC
hows the 30% Trinity Team Platinum? i see it has 8% oil
thats what i run on my s7. it runs good. but i have never used any other fuel. i only use it cause i get it for like 25$ lol. good thing about working at a hobbyshop.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxer
??????? man i know plenty of people around here that run byrons in speed vspecs and all vspecs ....11% oil ....isnt that more than werks ...i thought werks has 8% oil ????????

+1 on that ...have never had any problems with byrons and its what i run most of the time ...i have tried others but the internals just have never looked as good as with a byrons run motor .....cool temps and an awesome lubriacation package ...i have a gallon of sidewinder 25/10 pro race blend and ive been thinking about giving it a shot ...everyone says its really close to byrons as far as the quality of the raw materials that go into it
I was just saying what the O.S. guy told me on the phone, it could of been his way of getting out of any fault on thier end for selling me a low quality product. I had a speed crank, bought a speed rod,P/S and new bearings and spent more money than should be expected for only getting 1 gal of run time. I won't be going back to O.S for a while as it left a bad taste, i still have 2 gal's of Gen 2 so we'll see in my next motor.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Addict

+1000 on Byrons fuel, stuff is awesome.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I support Matrix Concepts racing fuel !!! LOL maybe just because I run it all time! Actually it has helped keep my vspec motors cooler while it has pretty great power wide range.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Sidewinder fuel never had a issue with it.

Some have problems have fuel partly the way they handle it.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Initiate

I use Byrons Gen2 @30% and as a backup I use Werks @30%. Excellant performance with both. Great cooling with no crud left in the crank case.