Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Most cost effective way to switch to lipo? >

Most cost effective way to switch to lipo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most cost effective way to switch to lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Most cost effective way to switch to lipo?

I was thinking about finally switching from my old NIMH reciever pack to a lipo set up. what do I need and what will it cost? I was thinking I'd Need the Pack itself, a charger, and a voltage regulator/cutoff.

I need the best prices, and I don't need a Duratrax Ice charger, just something good enough for the reciever pack and that's it.

I'll be putting this in my new Xray XB808. I appreciate any, and all replies.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

HT Batteries has eerything you need for the lipo switch over.

rec packs
lipo regulator
charger

and if intersted they also have
transmitter packs
starter box batts

http://www.htbatteries.com/

Apogee/ pfm distribution probably has the best price on a rec pack
2000 mah 29.99

https://pfmdistribution.com/secure/s...y.asp?catid=63

Amain has a very good regulator that has a green lite if pack is above 6.2 volts and a red if it is below

Currently i have the amain regulator and protekmpack in my gt2 &
HT Batteries reg and battery in my STRR along with starter box aand transmitter pack and will be ordering the charger soon

Hope this helps--also how do you like the 808 so far--it looks really impressive although i am yet to see one run

Jason
Old 05-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 for ht batteries. As far as voltage regulator I love the losi one. On the charger there are several on the market and there is also a lipo convertor you can plug inline with your existing charger. I cant seem to find it right now I thought it was made by losi.

Otherwise if you want a charger that will do receiver packs this one will work but you will be limited to 2 and 3 cell packs which means that if you ever switch to a 14.8 volt pack for your starter box it wont work. It also charges fairly slow but that isnt a bad thing as long as you prepare having your packs all charged before raceday.

Here is a link to the charger im talking about although there are several on the market just like it.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22612

Once you go lipo you will love it. Just beware not to let your battery run dead, use a lipo specific charger or convertor, and do not exceed the charge rate of the pack. A 2000 pack should not be charged at any more than 2 amp, a 1200 1.2 amp.... You get the idea.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With the Xray, you'll must likely be limited to the HT Lipo. The Common Sense RC Lipo are great, but may not fit in the Xray slender battery box. The Losi regulator is good also, very compact 5 amp unit. I use regualtor only, not the one with the switch. As for chargers, a Celectra works fine and can be found for $30-$35 and does up to 2 amps. It has no balancing though and is DC powered like most.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

The Pro-Teck 2300mah stick pack Lipo fits the Xray like it was made for it. A few locals here have them and its perfect. There regulator is great too. Havent heard of anyone having any problems out of either one. Amain carries them or nexusracing.net also has them for about 10.00 cheaper.

EA
Old 05-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Going high end with the xray big dog? Sweet!!! I run HT Lipos in everything, Radio, Rec, Starter Box. I use my ice charger with a electrify balancing adapter. I can charge all batteries by just switching the plugs. It came with all the right connectors and everything. The only thing I had to buy was the plug for the starter box battery.

One of the main things to look for is the balancing plugs. Seems like everyone has there own idea what the should be. The lipos I have for my mini's have different types than my HT Batteries and I can't balance them on my charger. If you already have a good charger then a balancing adapter is probably the way to go... You can look at my setup anytime. Hopefully I will be up sometime this week if it doesn't rain... Maybe Saturday. Ohh and I should have a body this week for you to paint as well.. Same as last year with a twist!!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks alot guys. Tommy, I'll be there most likely on sunday with my new car