Wiki Posts
Search

AMBrc Monopoly...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow coach
not 100% on this but i think the reason the price changed was because the majority of europeans were buying PT's from the states instead of local so AMB basically changed the price of their units so it didnt matter where you got them they cost the same US,UK,Europe all the same price, as i say not 100% but im fairly sure that may be the case
Well that means MRT will sell more PTX units. He was already backlogged with orders at one time.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, Terry from MRT here. I just found the discussion anyone still need any questions answering about transponders or any ideas let me know we're interested to hear what people want.

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Well that means MRT will sell more PTX units. He was already backlogged with orders at one time.
Hi ezveedub, you're right about selling more PTX units we're keeping very busy with orders!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 PM

The MRT PTX transponder is is exactly $64.29 at todays exchange rate but that is only if you buy one. If you buy more than one you have to pay shipping. I will be getting the MRT PTX because it is black, it has a sweet blue LED, and IT IS $40 DOLLARS CHEAPER AND IT DOES THE SAME JOB. Problem kinda solved, haha.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Hey Terry do the MRT PTX mounting tabs match up with the AMBrc ones?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi lanerbrainer205, yes the MRT PTX mounting tabs match up with the AMBrc ones! Plus the base can be removed (4 screws) and replaced or swapped for a base with no tabs if required. The power lead can also be replaced.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Details are on our web site at www.rclaps.com

There is also details about cloning AMB Personal Transponders here:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226183

We can clone existing AMBrc PT's so you can get your ID# cloned into new PTX transponders. Customised cloned PTX versions are also available in addition to the standard basic (Blue LED) ones. The pdf custom clone order form is on the rclaps website which needs to be sent to us along with the original AMB PT.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Thanks, sounds good, I will be placing an order shortly after I return home from vacation.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

pt are expensive but they are a must have as far as i am concerned
Old 06-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'd love to get back to the basics of the thread starter really. Why is it REQUIRED that these things cost so much and ONLY AMBrc controls the numbers? Again, I'd like to know why track software makers don't have something to allow somebody ELSE to make an affordable option like the couple I HAD to buy. I really don't see the cost matching the manufacturing and that's how the thread started. Now it seems to all point to a company making 'clones' of the monopoly company's product. I'd like to know what's stopping a NEW product from coming out that is compatible with track software. One simple update and an hour of coding and the track software can accept another number but it's not done. Is this another Microsoft in the RC world?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

For me I think $100 is crazy, and heres why I have a wife and 4 children and dont have lots of $ to just buy whatever I want. I do okay but have lots of other things to spend my loot on. But at the same time I am a racer and love my hobby, it's my outlet. I am the 1 who is dragging his heels running around the track for my loaners but now that I saw that other company I will be getting myself 1 and later another. I will never buy 1 of those red amb counters, and 1 of my local tracks you cant even use them you have to use loaners. And the owner is always saying how sorry he is to everybody with personals but he cant afford to upgrade to what ever system he needs to to accept personals.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

The price increase has been due to (in part) the exhange rate. It takes 1.5 dollars to buy a Euro, whereas 5 years ago it was 1.15. Forty cents on the dollar as an increase, combined with the heavy demand...you can see why they are charging 100+ now.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

very true
Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Exactly the original poster's point and mine as well. The track timing system is monopolized from an off-shore company and we're 'stuck with it'? I'm just one more guy screaming for an AMD in the RC world to take down the Microsoft/AMBrc monopoly on the hobby we all love. It SERIOUSLY doesn't cost $100 to make a transponder to give a number to the timing line system when made on a large manufacturing platform. What HAS happened is one company jumped in first and now we're 'stuck with it'? The day a SECOND option comes out I'll buy that AMD/other-company product just to rock the boat of the money-monopoly we're faced with now. And that's pretty much all I have to say about the whole thing.

What I DON'T want to see is this thread turning into a marketing platform for the company chasing the coat-tails of the monopoly by making 'clones' for $10 less. That's NOT a feasible option, that's giving in to the madness. Think on that a while and maybe make them in multiple countries where you don't have house wifes assembling your products and giving RC lovers OPTIONS! What has happened to the RC timing systems and options are stomach turning to say the least.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolverini
I'd like to know what's stopping a NEW product from coming out that is compatible with track software. One simple update and an hour of coding and the track software can accept another number but it's not done. Is this another Microsoft in the RC world?
There's been an interesting discussion about alternative systems and possible options:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=220663

It's not a simple problem to solve, good ideas are needed
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Regional Moderator

One huge issue in developing a competing system is "critical mass". There are literally thousands of AMB systems in use all over the world, and racers already have AMB (or clone) transponders. If you develop a new system, it had better be compatible with the installed base of AMB transponders, or forget trying to sell your system. Just what the racer needs, yet another transponder to buy that won't work at 99% of existing tracks.

We need an open source based system that is backwards compatible with existing AMB type transponders, but will also accept the (yet to be developed) Brand X transponders. Any volunteers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.