Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TQ Racing SX8

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default my first experience with the sx8

Well I am new to this forum and just wanted to post up my findings on this buggy. I have had the buggy for about 3 weeks but because of rain and life I finally got to race this weekend. Starting out I was a little leary because the buggy was unknown, but the build was great, top notch fit and finish and alot of attention to detail. After the build and few weeks I got to run at the track and found I was fighting the car, this is a super high bite abrassive track. So I started working on set up. I found this car is its own wonderful animal, you have to do your own thing with this car because it is very aggressive, not like alot of the other cars I owned. So due to struggling I ended up qual. 7th in the B, but I made some more changes that morning before the mains and I found a much better set-up which allowed me to bump in to the show. Then in the A after about 35 minutes I had worked up to 5th and was going good untill a guy that should know better is mad at his car and jumps over a pipe to go to the pits and backwards into my lane and hits me. It sheared the turnbuckle bolt to the knuckle and it was done. So my conclusion I REALLY LIKE THIS CAR!! This thing is near bullet proof, the plastic didn't break or the knuckle or turnbuckle but the steel screw, I can live with that. But do your own set-up not what others buggies are doing and once you find it this think is fast. Sorry for the long post and I am sure I will have more to share later
Old 08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Tech Initiate

nice post! Love the racing info from you guys.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey guys, Have been running this buggy for almost a Gallon now. Great buggy over all, Had a few little issues building but that was my fault ( putting stuff in backwards lol).. Anyways I am still having troubles with the back end it seems very loose. Mostly around corners and landing jumps when i am on the gas. I am running 40/35 shocks, 3-5-1 Diffs. I moved the back hubs all the way back. Maybe its the Anti-squat i am not 100% sure what it is at. I need a good set-up!!!

Also What degrees( what ever there called) Antisquat clips come with the kit? just so i can figure it out.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Track surface?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here's a few things you could try.

1. Less anti-squat. With the help of a few other guys posts I've found that the buggy seems to do better with 2degrees.

2. Play with your rear shock angles addjust them in at the top and out at the bottom, or put them all the way out on both top and bottom. This will also depend on shock oil weight and springs. But ultimatley your driving style, everyone's driving style is different.

3. Lastly tires, tires, tires... Like Philly said what track conditions are you running on.

So far I've found especially when I first got the buggy that I tended to oversteer it. The buggy has so much steering and on my previous car it was completely different. So more or sudden steering input on my part made the car whip arround more... if that makes sense..? The more steady and slow I was on the steering input the better the car would stick in the turn.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Track is pretty Rough, Blown out in alot of places. There is No water system for the track ( hard to beleieve i know) so its reall dry.

Carlosm- I have moved the suspention around, Did not work the greatest i am running mostly the same set up as a few other Locals. I am thinking it is just me and my terrible driving LOL, everyone else seems to do ok! I am also running either my Bow-ties or Crime fighters both M3 compound.

With changing the Anti-squat to 2". I am guessing i will run the short clip that holds the hinge pins in the back end?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Jaco - when your mentioning clips I think your talking about wheelbase adjustments.... not anti-squat, antisquat is the angle of the rear inner hinge pin... try lowering that too (in the front holder)

I run the wheelbase short.... also make sure your in the inner holes in the shock tower for the camber link..... either the lowest or next one up cover 99% of tracks I've been on.

Also run the lower hole in the rear hub and the upper outter hole in the hub.

for shocks try the inner hole in the arm.... and middle upper out one out from the middle

this is all easier to see on the setup sheet on the site....
Old 08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Also...... this is for everyone

If you feel the car it too aggressive for you.... take ackerman out of the car..... by moving the steering linkage towards the rear of the car on the steering plate, it wont take much overall steering away but it will smooth the feel out a bunch.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 on that Tony.
I have found 2* of anti squat. Short or middle rear wheelbase position and a long camber link really do the trick. I have also gone down to Mugen 400 F 300R with stock springs. Car was very planted. I would really suggest the longer camber link and take a ackerman position back a hole.
It's easy to change 3 or 4 things at a time thinking you wont be able to tell a difference if you just change one thing such as anti squat or wheelbase. It takes a bit more time, but try to change 1 thing at a time. Then run a tank or half a tank. Usually by the time your motor is warm you know if its gonna work. Then if you don't like it, move it back and try something else.
The post are going great. Lots of good info from good guys. I'm glad to see this car is getting such a positive vibe. I have really enjoyed it and cant wait to race each weekend.

Hey Luther, I'm sure you have been asked this a billion times, whats the ETA on the truck?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any updates on the Truggy? Release date or anything yet? Just waiting for a loaner pipe (lol) to get to complete my SX8! Been waiting too long to run it, Hopefully sometime this week. Should be ordering some for stock too with some parts.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Website is updated from the man cup and Doggetts wins in TX.... good news comes everyday around here!!! lol

http://tqracing.net/

Another update probably tonight with Billy's dominance at the Region 4 Championships where he lapped the field in the main!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good info Tony, Thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Default Truggy Update

Truggy protos are out there we are testing and getting the truggy right,It is our objective to get the truggy right before we release it to the public.We have a few small changes that we are working on and then we will be ready to go,I would say within the month.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (96%+)

hey guys, haven't posted in a while but this past weekend i had some unfortunate luck during a qualifier and i managed to break the front aluminum hing pin holder! has anyone else had any issues? i know i had one big crash that probably didnt help but just wondering! other wise the buggy has been doing great and i think i found a good base setup for me to use!

What brake setups is everyone using? not sure what set up to go with! def want to get rid of the steel brakes! ha

Ethan
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

part# tqp2140

Good Stuff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.