Wiki Posts
Search

TQ Racing SX8

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Tech Regular

Hi All,

Some questions to ask:

Had original caster knuckles, stripped these, purchased new pair of CNC knuckles stripped these on the weekend, anyone else having issues, any tips would be greatly appreciated, going back to caster knuckles can’t afford $50 USD for a pair of knuckles and only lasting ¾ of days racing.

Thanks for all your help
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesussaves
Hi All,

Some questions to ask:

Had original caster knuckles, stripped these, purchased new pair of CNC knuckles stripped these on the weekend, anyone else having issues, any tips would be greatly appreciated, going back to caster knuckles can’t afford $50 USD for a pair of knuckles and only lasting ¾ of days racing.

Thanks for all your help
Caster??
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jfc_tech
Caster??
Part Number BB2043, link: http://stores.ebay.com/RCPROCENTERNE...=steering+arms
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi All,

Some questions to ask:

Thanks for all your help
I would check your screws or just get some of TONY"S SCREWS to replace those.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Caster??
What are you a spell checker or a word checker. Poor guy just asked a question.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi All,

Some questions to ask:

Thanks for all your help
Congrats, you have found the weakest link.

Thats the only thing on the buggy I have had problems with. The CNC last longer but the Cast ones don't like it went you snag a pipe.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Caster??
He was talking about the Cast Aluminum ones. We know what he means.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi All,

Some questions to ask:

Thanks for all your help
What do you mean by stripped? The threads where the steering rod bolts to? Just use a longer bolt and nut. If you mean the kingpins make sure your threads are clean and dont overtighten.
Ive only broken 1 knuckle on a cast one, no problems with cnc ones.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default Full-Proof Knuckle-Drag Prevention

1. I've learned to first clean new knuckle bolt-threads with brake cleaner, since they usually have a little oil on them. Remember how shiny black the hardware was in the kit? Then I apply red threadlock evenly on the first 4 threads. Yes red, but not too much.

2. When reusing bolts in rebuilds, I'll first screw them into a 4mm die to clean the threads of hardened red residue, before applying fresh threadlock. A hobby knife works well if you're without the die tool.

3. Tighten with a T-handled allen wrench, for max hand-torque.

4. Unfortunately the threaded inserts on the cast-aluminum/stock knuckles allows enough play in the kingpin area that the bolts can work loose, and gradually strip, even with redlock. Therefore I glue the threaded inserts to the knuckles with either medium or thick CA before assembly. No more wiggling insert.

Any mfr's cast knuckles can break in a crash. So because accidents do happen, I run the cnc types on my primary race buggy. Just allow the threadlock to set-up overnight. Then check the knuckle bolts after your first few tanks on race day. Now you'll never be caught dragging a knuckle in the main.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Roy Hit the spot I do the same

Roy Hit the spot I do the same
Originally Posted by RoyJ

1. I've learned to first clean new knuckle bolt-threads with brake cleaner, since they usually have a little oil on them. Remember how shiny black the hardware was in the kit? Then I apply red threadlock evenly on the first 4 threads. Yes red, but not too much.

2. When reusing bolts in rebuilds, I'll first screw them into a 4mm die to clean the threads of hardened red residue, before applying fresh threadlock. A hobby knife works well if you're without the die tool.

3. Tighten with a T-handled allen wrench, for max hand-torque.

4. Unfortunately the threaded inserts on the cast-aluminum/stock knuckles allows enough play in the kingpin area that the bolts can work loose, and gradually strip, even with redlock. Therefore I glue the threaded inserts to the knuckles with either medium or thick CA before assembly. No more wiggling insert.

Any mfr's cast knuckles can break in a crash. So because accidents do happen, I run the cnc types on my primary race buggy. Just allow the threadlock to set-up overnight. Then check the knuckle bolts after your first few tanks on race day. Now you'll never be caught dragging a knuckle in the main.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone need a roller for spare parts pm me. Also lots of nip parts available.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone know if Luther is still Kicking around?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

He's around here somewhere.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey guys i got 3 roller sx8 for sale and ton of parts pm me....
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Default I am here

Whats up guys I am sorry but I am bouncing back and forth at the moment,allorders have shipped and tqnoob please give me a call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.