Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the drive pins from the drive shafts and replace them instead of replacing the whole shaft when it starts to wear?

I know you can do this on the 808...
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Akhor
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the drive pins from the drive shafts and replace them instead of replacing the whole shaft when it starts to wear?

I know you can do this on the 808...
yes you can losi do a kit with all the pins in it

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...et-cln-/Detail

all you need is the tool to do it hudy make 1 and I think mugen do 1 also

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=7750

Adrian
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
yes you can losi do a kit with all the pins in it

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...et-cln-/Detail

all you need is the tool to do it hudy make 1 and I think mugen do 1 also

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=7750

Adrian

WRONG....the losi pin kit is for the CVD inserts and hex pins...also the pins for the outdrives INside the diff's....But Not the bone pins......u need Mugen 3mm X 12.8 for center's and 13.8 for outter's.......the Hudy pin press is Overkill in price....there's a seller on ebay that makes a Knock off version of the "motion Pro chain breaker" but for 1/2 the price.....i use mine LOTs and have yett to have a problem....Also u neeeeed Red liquid loctite and use it generously as u dont want a pin to back out while racing.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
WRONG....the losi pin kit is for the CVD inserts and hex pins...also the pins for the outdrives INside the diff's....But Not the bone pins......u need Mugen 3mm X 12.8 for center's and 13.8 for outter's.......the Hudy pin press is Overkill in price....there's a seller on ebay that makes a Knock off version of the "motion Pro chain breaker" but for 1/2 the price.....i use mine LOTs and have yett to have a problem....Also u neeeeed Red liquid loctite and use it generously as u dont want a pin to back out while racing.
thanks integra I almost brought a set as my drives are due for new pins I've always used the mugen 1s to and yes the hudy is over priced just like almost every thing they do -but it works really well
Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Lord

dont get me wrong...those pins are awsome to have on hand...i have multiple packs in my spares.....but he was stating u can replace the bone pin with that kit...which is wrong....u need the mugen's for those.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
dont get me wrong...those pins are awsome to have on hand...i have multiple packs in my spares.....but he was stating u can replace the bone pin with that kit...which is wrong....u need the mugen's for those.
I was the 1 that posted you could use them -so thanks for the catch, I would hate to have put someone wrong with that info
Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
I was the 1 that posted you could use them -so thanks for the catch, I would hate to have put someone wrong with that info
My bad....didn't catch that.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Losi coming out with a 17-18 tooth clutch bell hmmm does the new car have truggy style gearing ?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Clutch tension Question

I have 8ight RTR with stock 427 engine and clutch assembly. I wont go as far as saying buggy is lemon, but an learning fast about brakes, engines, suspensions and now clutch... This is my first RC car and car has about 20 tanks thru it now. It is lots of fun but high maintenance. Like my wife.

Question is flywheel and housing came loose and buggy stopped moving. Shoes are fine (although only came with 2) and only needs tightening. How tight should the screw to the crank be? And how tight/loose should the housing be on the flywheel?

Also, do I just loctite the screw to the crank? Or am I missing something as it seems a little mickey mouse if I do - and I am afraid will come loose again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Rob
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes the RTR has always come with 2 clutch shoes. It kinda sucks with that much power in my opinion.

The nut that holds the flywheel against the brass collet needs to have loctite. Not much is required. I suggest getting a fresh collet to avoid future trouble.

Shim your CB for proper endplay. You don't want the CB up against the flywheel, and you don't want it to be too far away. Try to get .5mm of endplay--back and forth. Shims can go behind and in front of the bearings for the desired .5mm

The screw and washer that holds the CB on doesn't usually need loctite. But start out using loctite here also. A TINY amount will do you just right. Also you can use shims behind the washer here, if things seem to be binding when you tighten the screw.

Use Blue loctite.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

A word of caution about loctite and the screw holding your clutch bell. I had to replace 1 crank because I could not get the screw out, stripped it, dremeled a notch and the screw broke off in the crank. WAY TOO MUCH LOCTITE on my part. I used just a TINY TINY bit after that and almost had it happen again. Now I don't use any loctite on the crank. The rotation of the crank naturally keeps it from backing out. and I have never found it loose. your 427's crank is not that expensive to replace, but once you upgrade to a high dollar mill you definetely do not want a screw getting stuck in your crank shaft.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

i really like the blue paste locktite, it makes it easier to get it where you want it and not everywhere else. it works the same but just easier to use. i got it at autozone.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default slippage on diff pinion gear

hi hi .
does any one hav problem with strips n worn out the diff pinion gear. which is part losa 3508 and this will affect the rear ring gear too.

i m curious what is the main reason for the slippage of the diff pinion gear.
could it be the bearing or the bearing insert?

any guy faces such problems too?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by novaa
hi hi .
does any one hav problem with strips n worn out the diff pinion gear. which is part losa 3508 and this will affect the rear ring gear too.

i m curious what is the main reason for the slippage of the diff pinion gear.
could it be the bearing or the bearing insert?

any guy faces such problems too?
When you are putting the CVD coupler onto the pinion you need to do it with the diff case open so that you can tighten the set screw on the coupler to the pinion with the pinion pressed against the case and the coupler pressed against the case. This keeps the pinion securly in place with no movement in the bearing.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I had problems with the screw coming out and always us a small amount on the first thread and no problems with getting the screw out .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.