Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

what are you looking to gain/loose. we need to know what you want the car to do more or less of before we can help you.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
hey guys need some help with a rough track setup. currently using Adam drakes neo buggy with 45wt /55 front and 35wt/55 rear, red springs on front and green on rear, 5-7-2 diff oils.

the track is tight outdoor med to high bite hard packed clay and rough

any help would be cool

thanks Adrian
I believe that there really isn't a way to set a car up for a rough track. I really have tried. The only success that I have had was to change my driving style. Most of our tracks around here start off smooth and well groomed, but then turns to hell by the second qualifier and worse for the mains. It really is a matter of avoiding the potholes and changing the racing line. In other words, adapt to the track. Also you have to drive slower and let the car do the work. Let it glide over the rough with low throttle input. Guide it around the rough stuff if possible. The 8 has to be driven a lot less aggresively then any other car, so try to drive calmer. If you crash less over the rough stuff, then your results will be better.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

hey guys need some help with a rough track setup. currently using Adam drakes neo buggy with 45wt /55 front and 35wt/55 rear, red springs on front and green on rear, 5-7-2 diff oils.

the track is tight outdoor med to high bite hard packed clay and rough

any help would be cool

thanks Adrian
Try the 2-A rear camber location. It really seems to settle the rear of the buggy in the rough stuff more. Also going down to 5K in the center might help. I also notice that you are using quite abit of damping in the shocks. Why not try 30w/55 27mm ride height in the front and 25wt/56 28mm ride height in the rear.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
what are you looking to gain/loose. we need to know what you want the car to do more or less of before we can help you.
I'm a smooth driver that likes to drive the same line from lap to lap what
I'm finding is that I'm not able to stay on the power in sections of the track from 1 lap to the next as on 1 lap the buggy seems to find the holes to easily and "trip itself up" and not the next

I'm running 27mm front, 29mm rear ride height with droop at 95mm front, 106 rear and 3/3 in the rear

what I'm not sure of is if the dampening to stiff causing the buggy to kick up or -to much droop - not enough ride height etc causing the buggy to get a wheel caught in ruts etc

So I really just wanted to see what others where running on rough tracks to compare and or try different setups that have worked for others
Old 09-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a friend of mine coming from mbx5R
drives now 10000/7000/5000
and feels at last, good about the 8ight
says it drives like the other cars now...
Old 09-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Tech Addict

why would you want it to feel like other cars on a fast smooth track no one can touch me with it -but on a rough track the consistancy becomes an issue for me

but I'm willing to try almost anything once

Last edited by RETRO RC; 09-28-2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

anyone looking to buy the adjustable hingepin brace set check this price out 1/2 the price of anywhere else

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...r-Hinge/Detail

just ordered a set for the 8T already have ECKTEC on the buggy
just went to get a set of fronts and they've put the price up only paid $16.95 for the first set now they are $29.05 bugger should have got them all at the same time
Old 09-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

I'm finding is that I'm not able to stay on the power in sections of the track from 1 lap to the next as on 1 lap the buggy seems to find the holes to easily and "trip itself up" and not the next

I'm running 27mm front, 29mm rear ride height with droop at 95mm front, 106 rear and 3/3 in the rear

what I'm not sure of is if the dampening to stiff causing the buggy to kick up or -to much droop - not enough ride height etc causing the buggy to get a wheel caught in ruts etc

So I really just wanted to see what others where running on rough tracks to compare and or try different setups that have worked for others
If your damping is too stiff you are not getting the full benefit of your suspension. Being too stiff in the rear will cause the back to kick because of too much pack.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Retro,

You might consider changing the neutral ride height setting. Get your front up and your rear down. That alone will tame the car quite a bit when going through the rough stuff. If you run stiffer springs in the front it won't dig in and swap ends on you.

I have found the Losi likes 5K-5K-3K when running on very rough tracks. Any wheel that hits a rough will now not diff out and make the car twitchy. You will see greater on power steering to power out of stuff.

Roll center adjustments should be personal preference and will not have as big of an overall effect as the neutral camber setting. To keep the tire off the edge more you might consider running -2 camber where yo might have been running -1 before.

I like to add down travel to 97 & 108 but I run stiffer sway bars. This seems to work for me but it might not be for everybody.

Tires, tires, tires. You need to run a set that will not catch an edge. This is the biggest thing you can do.

Hope this helps,
TEX
Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive got a set of the Lunsford titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles I wanna sell. They were installed but never seen the track. I want $55 shipped I just spent $75 + shipping for them. Email [email protected]
Old 09-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Ive got a set of the Lunsford titanium hinge pins and turnbuckles I wanna sell. They were installed but never seen the track. I want $55 shipped I just spent $75 + shipping for them. Email [email protected]

Then put them in the classified section . Being they are used and not NIP only worth half .
Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Is that an offer for $37.50 or are you a moderator? I'm confused.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Is that an offer for $37.50 or are you a moderator? I'm confused.
He's not a moderator nor was it an offer. He's pointing out that it's not appropriate to list items for sale in this thread AND that you're asking price is unrealistic.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

How many posts should we make about it? I get it....You dont want them.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Briguy and KC- Do you guys have an 8ight buggy? Or are you just moderating? LOL

Miller- See you tomorrow, ill have to check out how much lighter the car is if you installed the lunsford setup.

Tex- Good info for rough track setup. I have been to a few tracks where I have struggled to get the car to settle down and stay with the track, instead of being thrown around by the bumps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.