Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RBMike
I burn just over 2 gallons a month or 1/2 a gallon per weekend & I run every week. I do not use grease or lube on the cvd's.
wow rbmike! You certainly do not lack for track time do ya?!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

This is probably the wrong place to ask this... but maybe some of you guys have owned both.

Wondering how the MBX5R drives in comparrison to the 8ight. I am getting back into the hobby and was driving an 8ight when I got out.. Have heard good things about the Mugen, but have never driven one.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello

I have some questions about building the differentials for the 8ight. I notice there is two different slots for the planetary gear axle on the differential housing, one deeper, and one shallower. Should I place the bottom planetary axle on the deeper slot or on the shallower slot? Or does it even matters?

Thank You.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Imo, the 8ight has more on power steering, but is a little less forgiving for an aggressive driver. It also jumps awesome and has mucho turn in steering.

I would give the edge to the Mugen on rougher tracks, or low traction tracks.

But the truth is they are all so close it is going to be driver error and mechanical failures that seperate everyone, just like it usually is in 1/8th scale!

...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Imo, the 8ight has more on power steering, but is a little less forgiving for an aggressive driver. It also jumps awesome and has mucho turn in steering.

I would give the edge to the Mugen on rougher tracks, or low traction tracks.

But the truth is they are all so close it is going to be driver error and mechanical failures that seperate everyone, just like it usually is in 1/8th scale!

...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Thats about what I was thinking, Jim. I noticed with the 8ight, it likes to be driven like a 4wd mod..
Old 06-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kmaheartless
Hello

I have some questions about building the differentials for the 8ight. I notice there is two different slots for the planetary gear axle on the differential housing, one deeper, and one shallower. Should I place the bottom planetary axle on the deeper slot or on the shallower slot? Or does it even matters?

Thank You.
no one?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

no one?
You need the lower gear in the deeper slot.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Flybywire - thanks! argg.... I need to take it out and rebuild it again
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Flybywire - thanks! argg.... I need to take it out and rebuild it again
It should be the only way the gears will seat into the case...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by FlyByWire
It should be the only way the gears will seat into the case...
Actually it seats into the case either way... So that is why I am confused
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FlyByWire
You need the lower gear in the deeper slot.

not really. The deeper slot allows you to get the pin in the hole to lock in the shaft from the outside. After that it makes no difference where the bevel gear cross shafts go, as they sit at the same level in the housing
Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kcdzim
not really. The deeper slot allows you to get the pin in the hole to lock in the shaft from the outside. After that it makes no difference where the bevel gear cross shafts go, as they sit at the same level in the housing
so either way works?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

hey freefallmarine and tex1 where do yall race at? I have just started getting into racing and ive been going to Indy rc world anA friend d am gonna try and go to jcg this weekend just to watch.

But the main ?'s i have are:

1. I have an 8ight rtr that ive done some upgrading to. A friend recently got out of the hobby and gave me tons of stuff including a brand new ofna chrome top starter box. I know this is in this thread somewhere but dont have the time and patience to look ot up. It seems as though the starter wheel is not reaching the flywheel. Do i need tto modify the starter box or is there engine mounts that lower the engine on the chasis? Or do i need to get a larger flywheel?

2. I am looking into buying a modified engine. Which engine in yalls opinion is the best bang for the buck no expenses spared. im looking into a hot mod ws7 III or an OS 21VZ-B V Spec Comp.

3. Where can I find new better orings for my shocks? I just disassembled them and one shock had only a few drops left in it.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Draggin, I race at Indy, Johnny's and all in between...Hopefully ill meet you at Indy soon.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1. I have an 8ight rtr that ive done some upgrading to. A friend recently got out of the hobby and gave me tons of stuff including a brand new ofna chrome top starter box. I know this is in this thread somewhere but dont have the time and patience to look ot up. It seems as though the starter wheel is not reaching the flywheel. Do i need tto modify the starter box or is there engine mounts that lower the engine on the chasis? Or do i need to get a larger flywheel?

2. I am looking into buying a modified engine. Which engine in yalls opinion is the best bang for the buck no expenses spared. im looking into a hot mod ws7 III or an OS 21VZ-B V Spec Comp.
RTR has the roto start on it which uses a taller motor mount. Replace the motor mount with a losi or kings heads engine mount and you can use a starter box.

OS V-Spec is a great motor..don't waste your money on the modded one, yeah they do add a little power; but the v-spec has way than enough power...way more..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.