Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Xmaxx 8S for $899 in Feb 2017.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Again, the 1/16" traxxas vehicle are the main letdown.
The full scale Revo too. I used to be on the Savage side of the Savage vs. Revo debate, then I got an MT4 G3. In the former case - 10 years ago - you could at least maybe have a conversation. With the latter though, it was totally no contest. The MT4 G3 owned the Revo in every conceivable way, and cost a LOT less...

It's not just the minis. It's the whole business model - cheap overpriced flashily marketed plastic RTR's, which need a lot of upgrades to be tough.

Arrma on the other hand has the right approach. Tough as is and affordable.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
The full scale Revo too. I used to be on the Savage side of the Savage vs. Revo debate, then I got an MT4 G3. In the former case - 10 years ago - you could at least maybe have a conversation. With the latter though, it was totally no contest. The MT4 G3 owned the Revo in every conceivable way, and cost a LOT less...

It's not just the minis. It's the whole business model - cheap overpriced flashily marketed plastic RTR's, which need a lot of upgrades to be tough.

Arrma on the other hand has the right approach. Tough as is and affordable.
In my opinion, you do own the toughest stuff out which is the Associated 1/8 scales. I love my RC8E and RC8TCE
Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

My Losi LST2's have lasted longer than any RC I've ever had. The LRP ZR.30X blew up my transmission unfortunately, so it's been out of commission for a while(just got a new tranny..) But those trucks lasted YEARS. Very, very rarely are RC's both tough in terms of surviving big hits, AND long-lasting, i.e. wear resistant. My nitro SC8 has gallons and gallons of hard driving on it, and surprises me how well it holds up. So yeah, those two brands have been very, very good to me.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The thing is that most of us that bought the XMaxx don't care about the issues with Traxxas. The truck is just fun to run. And can't really put price on that. Have I spent more then I planned. Yes. But almost everything that broke, I broke because of what I was doing. Wasn't from weak plastics or because it was cold.
Traxxas doesn't care that many don't like them. Most owners aren't on the forums. The group I'm in has close to 600 owners. I think less then 10 are regulars here and on URC.
Yes the mini revo was a money pit. I had 2 of them. Still was fun vehicle. I don't hate Chevy, Ford, Dodge just because they built some really bad cars. Should I hate Jaguar for selling a Ford Tarus with Jaguar body panels on it.
If someone doesn't like the brand, don't buy it. Me I've pretty much decided that my XMaxx will be getting a brother. With no ESC to turn in the core charge puts the upgrade package at almost 1/2 cost of the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
The thing is that most of us that bought the XMaxx don't care about the issues with Traxxas. The truck is just fun to run. And can't really put price on that. Have I spent more then I planned. Yes. But almost everything that broke, I broke because of what I was doing. Wasn't from weak plastics or because it was cold.
Traxxas doesn't care that many don't like them. Most owners aren't on the forums. The group I'm in has close to 600 owners. I think less then 10 are regulars here and on URC.
Yes the mini revo was a money pit. I had 2 of them. Still was fun vehicle. I don't hate Chevy, Ford, Dodge just because they built some really bad cars. Should I hate Jaguar for selling a Ford Tarus with Jaguar body panels on it.
If someone doesn't like the brand, don't buy it. Me I've pretty much decided that my XMaxx will be getting a brother. With no ESC to turn in the core charge puts the upgrade package at almost 1/2 cost of the vehicle.
Well I think most Traxxas owners like Traxxas. It's sort of hard to measure this though, because as you pointed out, most people aren't on the forums.

It's sort of a personality thing. I'm not the type of enthusiast who has the money and doesn't mind moneypits. I'm able to support my hobby, but I still want to avoid the hassles. I don't like wrenching on my RC's disproportionately to other, similar RC's. I take issue with the idea of buying a moneypit e-revo and saying it's worth it because it's fun. I could have bought a Kraton that's cheaper, lighter, stronger, and similar fun. The less it breaks, the more fun it is. Downtime is never fun for me.

That being said, some Traxxass vehicles aren't ass. It's seemingly the $900 stock RTR's that become moneypits. This is, I guess, inevitable when you push the limits of brushless power on mostly plastic construction. The Xmaxx is unique because it's an inbetween class so I understand why people keep them. Not me though.

My $.02.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RepEvox
Well I think most Traxxas owners like Traxxas. It's sort of hard to measure this though, because as you pointed out, most people aren't on the forums.

It's sort of a personality thing. I'm not the type of enthusiast who has the money and doesn't mind moneypits. I'm able to support my hobby, but I still want to avoid the hassles. I don't like wrenching on my RC's disproportionately to other, similar RC's. I take issue with the idea of buying a moneypit e-revo and saying it's worth it because it's fun. I could have bought a Kraton that's cheaper, lighter, stronger, and similar fun. The less it breaks, the more fun it is. Downtime is never fun for me.

That being said, some Traxxass vehicles aren't ass. It's seemingly the $900 stock RTR's that become moneypits. This is, I guess, inevitable when you push the limits of brushless power on mostly plastic construction. The Xmaxx is unique because it's an inbetween class so I understand why people keep them. Not me though.

My $.02.
Not big on vehicle being down either. That why we need multiple vehicles.

What gets lost on us that are in the hobby, be it racer or basher. Is how little the average owner runs a vehicle. Most are lucky if they get a run a week. The only other XMaxx owner I know in person runs 1 Saturday a month. That's what his schedule, and wife allows. So while we've had close to same amount of time. I'm close to 100 runs. He's at mid 20's.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gonna be a nice unit for new Xmaxx buyers.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

For me it's hard to spend that kind of $$ on a new truck when you can get an older used roller (Savage, LST, Maxx, Revo, other truggy) for around $200 and completely mod it out the exact way I want and still be well under the $ mark that most of us can afford ($400-$700 range for a decent rtr 1/8 MT)

Granted, the X-Maxx is huge and really cool looking, probably a blast to drive! But sadly the price is going to keep me away from it, and many other new releases as long as there are still older rollers popping up for sale.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I got my upgrade kit yesterday. Wow. The box weights a ton. The X-Maxx is one of my only remaining TRAXXAS products (I've switched to mainly Arrma/Techno/AE) but they did right by this upgrade kit in my opinion. Everything is made very well and looks extremely durable. I've had only a single issue with my X-Maxx, stripped servoce gears (I've upgraded to HR metal gears) and I've run it pretty hard.

The ESC is very impressive. I have it pictured next to my spare Arrma BLX185 V2 (HW) ESC for reference. 10ga wiring is a good sign and it feels very heavy with a large cooling fan and some huge caps. I'm planning to install my XT90 connectors onto it. I will be running two, 4s SCM 6700mah packs.

I'll install it tonight and run it this weekend. Here are some pictures of it straight out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Xmaxx 8S for 9 in Feb 2017.-img_3528.jpg   Traxxas Xmaxx 8S for 9 in Feb 2017.-img_3530.jpg   Traxxas Xmaxx 8S for 9 in Feb 2017.-img_3531.jpg   Traxxas Xmaxx 8S for 9 in Feb 2017.-img_3532.jpg   Traxxas Xmaxx 8S for 9 in Feb 2017.-img_3533.jpg  

Old 12-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Got the email today. Looks interesting. Now I have to decide to get this or an Arrma Nero Big Rock with Diff Brain.

8S Xmaxx
I just seen this...

I have the Xmaxx and love the truck. My friend has the Kraton and the Big Rock. We took them to a dirt lot to have alittle fun and then BOTH of his trucks broke very quickly. He has had nothing but troubles with his ARRMA stuff. Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm thinking that new ESC is a max6. I'm just guessing, but it smells like a max6 from the pictures.

Trout