Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic RC Racing
New carpet Track in the Pittsburgh, Pa area >

New carpet Track in the Pittsburgh, Pa area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

New carpet Track in the Pittsburgh, Pa area

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

He moved into his new building.
Kyosho Joe likes this.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Lots of interest from the old "altoona raceway" racers.....most of us sold off a lot of our equipment but are willing to re-buy and get back into racing at a local track...quality is the key and what we are looking for, we don't want to experience another half assed operation, we saw what happened with that!! All in all we are willing to spend the money (at your shop) if the track is a quality grade and managed properly. The most important thing in our decision is a timing system! We don't really want to spend $1,000 or more on a TC and equipment to be timed with a stop watch or some sort of lap system using "human timers", last time altoona had a TC carpet class, there were races that were won and lost with intervals of less than half a second, and that is not something that can accurately be timed by anything less than a electronic timing system.

On a side note, of the several members that I have spoken with (approx. 10) the majority would like to run a TC on a road course type track, however with the talk so far being of an oval we would also be willing to run a 1/10th scale pan car class preferably with a spec tire rule.

so just to recap. speaking for the group the very most important thing is a computerized timing system, as far as the configuration of the track, pretty much, build it anwe will come
Old 01-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Then you need to educate the owner before he set up his indoor track. I'm tired of driving 2-3 hours out of town to race and I want to see 1/10 oval and touring car come back to Altoona like what we had back 2008-2009. I mention to him 3-4 months ago about he needs a mylaps scoring system before he even think about setting up a track.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Shaffer's is getting CRC click-track. So track layouts can be changed in minutes. Oval or road course. The space for the track is roughly 30x50. So about the same size as the Old PT raceway in murreysville. He knows he will ultimately have to get a my laps timing system also.

He has a lot of work to do getting the shop set up first.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Originally Posted by TC3MIKE
Then you need to educate the owner before he set up his indoor track. I'm tired of driving 2-3 hours out of town to race and I want to see 1/10 oval and touring car come back to Altoona like what we had back 2008-2009. I mention to him 3-4 months ago about he needs a mylaps scoring system before he even think about setting up a track.
I agree Mike on the lap timing system, that's why I didn't even think about practicing at the 10x10 square at the old property. To be honest though, I think the owner would be making a better choice with off-road carpet. What's pretty much left of us local racers with equipment have 2wd and 4wd buggies. Not saying on-road racing would be a nice welcome because in all honesty, I do miss some of the good ole days. But with how much a "Good" touring car kit costs, it either wouldn't last long or any at all. For the amount of local hobbyists there are it would be cheaper and easier to go buy a $400 RTR Team Associated buggy, than to spend just that on a kit plus everything else they would need.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TTO1 Racr
I agree Mike on the lap timing system, that's why I didn't even think about practicing at the 10x10 square at the old property. To be honest though, I think the owner would be making a better choice with off-road carpet. What's pretty much left of us local racers with equipment have 2wd and 4wd buggies. Not saying on-road racing would be a nice welcome because in all honesty, I do miss some of the good ole days. But with how much a "Good" touring car kit costs, it either wouldn't last long or any at all. For the amount of local hobbyists there are it would be cheaper and easier to go buy a $400 RTR Team Associated buggy, than to spend just that on a kit plus everything else they would need.

TT01, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying at all??? Like, whats the difference between an off-road carpet track and an On-road one? A couple of makeshift wooden jumps right? I see no reason not to do both on and off road....

And coming from a guy who calls himself "TT01 racer" for gods sake!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

All these questions/suggestions, but where is the owner? Are they falling on deaf ears? If nothing else hopefully someone is relaying the information on here to him. I'm sure the majority of the people on here would be willing to help in whatever way possible to get the track up and running asap, if at the very least, Mark (the owner) should set a date to have a meeting with the people that plan on racing, to get their ideas for consideration, and for the racers to get an idea of what he is thinking! At least if we can get everyone on the same page, he can do what he needs to do to build a track that suites the racers and the racers can start looking/pricing and deciding what they need to get to get on the track. I am going to go out on a limb here and say the majority of the racers (especially considering the price for a tc kit) don't have a lump sum of spare cash to drop on brand new "everything" and will have to do some shopping around before they will be able to show up at the track and race. So, basically, can we get the owner either on here to update everyone, or have someone on here talk to him and set up a meeting for us all to attend to get antiquated
Old 01-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Its going few months yet till everything is up and running. Mark has to get the hobby shop all set up put together and running first. He has a lot to do. He is aware of this thread and is monitoring it. Above all you all should go to his shop and check things out for yourselfs....
Old 01-03-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kyosho Joe
Its going few months yet till everything is up and running. Mark has to get the hobby shop all set up put together and running first. He has a lot to do. He is aware of this thread and is monitoring it. Above all you all should go to his shop and check things out for yourselfs....
I agree, I haven't been to the new shop and it has been awhile since I stopped in at the old shop. I'm sure if we show him support and that there are local racers that are going to "come out of retirement" to race it will keep him motivated.

@Kyosho Joe is the new shop open or is he closed until he is fully setup?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

After the response I got from him on facebook I'm not convinced he will build the track that we all expecting to have. My advice for you guys don't go spending a lot of money just yet until you actually see a track.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TC3MIKE
After the response I got from him on facebook I'm not convinced he will build the track that we all expecting to have. My advice for you guys don't go spending a lot of money just yet until you actually see a track.
Mike, care to elaborate? Inquiring minds want to know....At least you got an answer, he hasn't answered me at all.

I, Personally, don't plan on spending a dime without talking to Mark either personally, or via meeting about the track. It is kinda hard to spend money when we don't even know what to buy......hopefully, a TC or a pan car, either way I am not gonna guess on what to buy.......Hope for the best but expect the worst, at least with that perspective you won't be disappointed.

Store hours.........anyone.........??????
Old 01-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

The only answer I was given was, " We will do what we can" and nothing else. That's what I got after typing a decent size page about racers around Altoona willing to come back and support his hobbyshop, racing there, and prepping the floor before laying the ozite. I use to help him in the past with the offroad kits and parts but lately he seems like he has no interests in "certain people's input". Its hard to explain to someone who never been involved with r/c racing scene. I know him well enough to know what runs through his mind. This guy didn't spend enough $$$ in my hobbyshop, f*ck this guy and his input.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Last edited by TC3MIKE; 01-03-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NeverATiteLine
Mike, care to elaborate? Inquiring minds want to know....At least you got an answer, he hasn't answered me at all.

I, Personally, don't plan on spending a dime without talking to Mark either personally, or via meeting about the track. It is kinda hard to spend money when we don't even know what to buy......hopefully, a TC or a pan car, either way I am not gonna guess on what to buy.......Hope for the best but expect the worst, at least with that perspective you won't be disappointed.

Store hours.........anyone.........??????
He's busy dude. He's trying to get his store set up He doesn't have time to sit and look at his computer screen.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

He's not alone in the hobbyshop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.