Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

NEW MINI 8IGHT BUGGY FROM LOSI !

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gticlay
Cool, thanks backyard and Racknpinion. I just want to put the lightweight outdrives on my car - I guess they wear way better than the stock ones. I just want to run my car on the local 1/10 carpet track so I want good power but something I can run normally so I guess I'll go for the smaller one. Looks like the V2 diffs that were posted have a hex allen for the outdrives so that might be perfect for what I want to do.

Not to deter you from going the Losi route, but you might find that for track use, an LC Racing will suit you a little better. They pretty much have all of the usual suspects as far as upgrades for the M8’s straight from the box. You could conceivably take it from the box, put it on a track with other minis and actually podium with it.

As as far as the outdrives, I’ve heard conflicting info on the lightweight ones. Some have said they’re more durable while others have said they’re actually worse than stock. I found that just keeping them clean, not using grease (which will attract dust, grime and dirt), but instead some kind of dry Teflon or metal bonding dry lubrication and not mashing it down full throttle from a dead stop so much completely eliminated my out drive issues. Stuff like this, but you can find it made by other manufacturers too.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racknpinion

Not to deter you from going the Losi route, but you might find that for track use, an LC Racing will suit you a little better. They pretty much have all of the usual suspects as far as upgrades for the M8’s straight from the box. You could conceivably take it from the box, put it on a track with other minis and actually podium with it.

As as far as the outdrives, I’ve heard conflicting info on the lightweight ones. Some have said they’re more durable while others have said they’re actually worse than stock. I found that just keeping them clean, not using grease (which will attract dust, grime and dirt), but instead some kind of dry Teflon or metal bonding dry lubrication and not mashing it down full throttle from a dead stop so much completely eliminated my out drive issues. Stuff like this, but you can find it made by other manufacturers too. https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon.../dp/B018FTA5WA
Yeah, I use the Pedros dry chain lube on my eight scales and it really works great and shed dirt.
This stuff: https://www.merlincycles.com/pedros-ice-wax-20-dry-bike-lubricant-89978.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-NO&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_t erm=Bike+Lubrication+%26+Fluids&ucpo=27033&gclid=E AIaIQobChMIsb_x0OPv2wIVEc-yCh079AOQEAYYAyABEgKjWvD_BwE
racknpinion likes this.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,

hoping you can shed some light on my issue.

my setup:
dyn4840wp ESC
Dynamite Fuze, 4500kV Mini Brushless Motor - DYN4830
SR201 2-Ch DSM Sport Surface Rx - Radio

Recently i replaced the stock Servo with HS-5245MG as the stock one broke.

Since replacement, when i turn on the car and steering just doesn't work properly, basically when i make a turn it would turn but then it would not come back to center or it would just stop turning all together, the green light on the receiver would flash green at times and sometimes its bright and other times its not so bright.

I tried my ESC with another servo and all worked fine.
Tried the HS servo with another ESC (hobbywing) and no issues with the servo.

its just when using the DYN with HS servo things go crazy.

Any ideas on how i can fix this.

Video of the issue on below url...need to remove the space after https://

https:// youtu.be/5XihzPwBUJ8
Old 06-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by v1ks
Hi guys,

hoping you can shed some light on my issue.

my setup:
dyn4840wp ESC
Dynamite Fuze, 4500kV Mini Brushless Motor - DYN4830
SR201 2-Ch DSM Sport Surface Rx - Radio

Recently i replaced the stock Servo with HS-5245MG as the stock one broke.

Since replacement, when i turn on the car and steering just doesn't work properly, basically when i make a turn it would turn but then it would not come back to center or it would just stop turning all together, the green light on the receiver would flash green at times and sometimes its bright and other times its not so bright.

I tried my ESC with another servo and all worked fine.
Tried the HS servo with another ESC (hobbywing) and no issues with the servo.

its just when using the DYN with HS servo things go crazy.

Any ideas on how i can fix this.

Video of the issue on below url...need to remove the space after https://

https:// youtu.be/5XihzPwBUJ8

I haven't ever seen anything that bad, but i have a sneaking suspicion its the BEC in the Dynamite ESC not being able to handle the voltage demands of the servo. Try a common glitch buster cap placed in one of the receiver ports, or it might be time for a beefier ESC. This is what I use.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-27-2018, 11:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your response. Yes it looks like I will upgrade to a new esc, perhaps the HS servo is helll alot better from what I read so make senses thst it may draw more voltage and as you say esc can't meet the demand.

Any suggestion on esc upgrade? When I checked the specs of the motor it said 30A is recommended which what the esc in question is. So i guess I need something bigger? But would thst harm the Fuze motor.?

Thanks for the link I'll check it out
Old 06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by v1ks
Thanks for your response. Yes it looks like I will upgrade to a new esc, perhaps the HS servo is helll alot better from what I read so make senses thst it may draw more voltage and as you say esc can't meet the demand.

Any suggestion on esc upgrade? When I checked the specs of the motor it said 30A is recommended which what the esc in question is. So i guess I need something bigger? But would thst harm the Fuze motor.?

Thanks for the link I'll check it out

No harm at all. IT's just a larger capacity. You basically can never have too much amperage or BEC voltage in an ESC. Better to go big here than get something just at the limit of the amperage you'll run through it. Its also not necessarily the amperage capability of the ESC, its also the BEC which can vary in voltage and amps it's able to pass along to the servo. I know there are a couple Hobbywing 60 amp ESC's that should work in the $50 range. Namely the censored 10BL60 and the Xerun Justock, but you also need something low profile as well since real estate is at a premium on the buggy and the best place to mount the ESC is on the chassis brace. I've also seen a lot of buggy owners run the Castle Mamba Micro X. Avoid the mistake I see a lot of people make though and don't mount it on top of the servo. Horrible idea.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by racknpinion
No harm at all. IT's just a larger capacity. You basically can never have too much amperage or BEC voltage in an ESC. Better to go big here than get something just at the limit of the amperage you'll run through it. Its also not necessarily the amperage capability of the ESC, its also the BEC which can vary in voltage and amps it's able to pass along to the servo. I know there are a couple Hobbywing 60 amp ESC's that should work in the $50 range. Namely the censored 10BL60 and the Xerun Justock, but you also need something low profile as well since real estate is at a premium on the buggy and the best place to mount the ESC is on the chassis brace. I've also seen a lot of buggy owners run the Castle Mamba Micro X. Avoid the mistake I see a lot of people make though and don't mount it on top of the servo. Horrible idea.
Thanks for the detailed info above mate. I most likely go for the Hobbywing QUICRUN-WP 10BL60 Brushless ESC 60A. I tend to mount it on the top of the chassis as its best place (as you say).

Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wheels/Tires for Mini 8ight

Does anyone know if the stock M8 tires are a direct fit on the Carisma GT14B wheels?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

If the Carisma uses a standard 12mm hex the M8 tires should work fine.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just checked, they're 12mm. I came across a nice looking set of shocks while on the Carisma site. I'm assuming they would work on the M8 but would hate to buy them only to find out... https://www.carisma-shop.com/en/prod...ail.php?id=591 Think they'll work?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by underwater
Just checked, they're 12mm. I came across a nice looking set of shocks while on the Carisma site. I'm assuming they would work on the M8 but would hate to buy them only to find out... https://www.carisma-shop.com/en/prod...ail.php?id=591 Think they'll work?

I've heard they work very well on the Losi, but email Carisma and ask for the lengths. They're very responsive to inquiries. Also, shop around. I've seen the silver version of those shocks for sale in the UK for quite bit less. Another alternative is the LC Racing shocks. Much much better than the Losi shocks. The bleeder hole makes all the difference in building an at least somewhat consistent bladder shock.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody used LC shocks on a M8 buggy? If so, can you tell a difference in performance? Or are they both just about the same?
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

SAVE THE DATE – April 4th & 5th 2020 – Mini Off Road and On Road Nationals

Tentative Classes

Off Road

1/14 Buggy Open

1/14 Truggy Open

Mini T 2.0 Spec Class (TBD)

1/18 2wd Truck stock (motor tbd)

1/18 2wd truck open

1/18 4wd truck stock (motor tbd)

1/18 4wd truck open

1/18 4wd Buggy Open

1/18 Mini Monster Open

On Road

LaTrax Rally Open

1/14 Rally Open

1/18 Rally Open

1/18 Pan Car Open

1/18 4wd Truck Open

1/18 2wd Truck

Held At

R/C Madness

101 North St

Enfield, CT 06082
Cain likes this.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Everyone - Because the next shipment of the Mini-T 2.0 has been pushed back we felt it necessary to also push the date on the Mini Nationals back. The new date will be April 18 & 19 2020. Thank you all for understanding. Updated rules will be posted in about a week too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/564037174448740/