Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRAXXAS ALL NEW 1/16 RALLY CAR

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah i still think its odd that you had isues with your hitec maybe you just got a dud idk thoguh :/
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
Hey guys, been having some servo issues lately. Ran the stock servo for a while, did fine, until about the 2nd week. My car was dead in the water right before we started a heat. The car just completely shut down and wouldn't repsond to anything. Unplugged the traxxas servo and i magically i had throttle again. Servo gears weren't stripped out, so that leads me to believe something went wrong electronically with the servo. Talked to a few guys at my track and they said that is a very common issue with the stock traxxas micro servos. A week later, picked up a hitec 82mg like you guys reccomended. Worked great for about a week and a half, then last night, it did the exact same thing to me as the traxxas servo. Just dead in the water, only this time, i had throttle without unplugging the servo from the reciever, and the wheels were locked at an angle. What's the problem? I drive very clean, set my endpoints conservatively, and somehow these servos keep malfunctioning electronically. I'm now faced to either buy another hitec 82mg, or go with a futaba s3156, which is 2wice as expensive. Do you think i just got a bad hitec 82, was it bad luck, or is something causing these servos to stop working prematurely?
Ditto to all this . Exact same issue with stock traxxas servo. The replacement hitec 82mg and a Hitec 65mg havent worked from the second i put them in. Too glitchy to even attepmt to drive and VERY HOT! Tried them with 2 different Spektrum dx3r/sr3100's and the TQi traxxas tx/rx. Traxxas shows little improvement but still not driveable. All radio gear works perfectly with a spare jr servo. Dont think ill give Hitec a third chance and need another option.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jestrc
Ditto to all this . Exact same issue with stock traxxas servo. The replacement hitec 82mg and a Hitec 65mg havent worked from the second i put them in. Too glitchy to even attepmt to drive and VERY HOT! Tried them with 2 different Spektrum dx3r/sr3100's and the TQi traxxas tx/rx. Traxxas shows little improvement but still not driveable. All radio gear works perfectly with a spare jr servo. Dont think ill give Hitec a third chance and need another option.
Well, i did give hitec a second chance with their 85mg. This time i didn't even get to drive it! Servo was getting hot and twitching exactly like you described above. Sorry hitec, you just lost my business (at least for micro servos). The 85mg i bought was brand new outta the box. I'm beginning to think something else in the system is causing these servo failures electronically. My first assumption would be to blame the vxl3m esc, it's the only variable that hasn't changed. I know it's not my futaba reciever's as they ran great in some of my other vehicles. Something isn't right for all these servos to be going bad. Right now i'm currently using a common sense rc 85mg in my rally. It worked great last weekend, but with my luck that one will go bad too.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I believe the VXL3m is to blame, and more specifically the BEC built into it. Get a Castle 10a external BEC from your local hs and see if your luck doesn't improve. I had a 82MG in one of my Rallys for a long time before upgrading to a digital 5085MG. From the get-go I had to put the BEC on it to get reliable steering.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the info fellas. So does this mean that if i add the bec the hitec servos i have now should work or has the damage been done already by the traxxs esc?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Use only digital servos. Analogue servos do not get along well with some 2.4ghz radios, for example the traxxas tq. The servo cannot cope with the higher frame rate of the 2.4ghz tx.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default datsun 510

Originally Posted by SN33KY
Since the HPI cup racer porsche body fits the rally....

would the AE86 body fit aswell?
So would the Datsun 510 fit
Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

A word of caution.

For the second time the stock servo shorted out (electronics toast), taking out the esc (stock brushed one, xl-2.5). Problem is the bec inside this esc has no protection against short circuits (it's not the usual 7805 regulator, it's done with a simple npn transistor).

A new servo and esc would cost more than half of a new car, so... the esc I'll try to fix (non-trivial task, requires hot air soldering station and advanced soldering skills), the servo will remain for spare gears/motor/case (electronic board took heavy damage from a literally burned mosfet, not sure if it can be revived)

So... better get a decent servo that does not burn and has metal gears (plastic ones strip like crazy). Not sure if there is any drop-in replacement that is also waterproof.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM
BJP
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by danb1974
A word of caution.

For the second time the stock servo shorted out (electronics toast), taking out the esc (stock brushed one, xl-2.5). Problem is the bec inside this esc has no protection against short circuits (it's not the usual 7805 regulator, it's done with a simple npn transistor).

A new servo and esc would cost more than half of a new car, so... the esc I'll try to fix (non-trivial task, requires hot air soldering station and advanced soldering skills), the servo will remain for spare gears/motor/case (electronic board took heavy damage from a literally burned mosfet, not sure if it can be revived)

So... better get a decent servo that does not burn and has metal gears (plastic ones strip like crazy). Not sure if there is any drop-in replacement that is also waterproof.
It doesn't say anything about being waterproof but it has good reviews...http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11627
Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 PM
BJP
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ShortCourseOnly
I changed my set-up and tried it out on the street in front of my house. My changes were:

1) 100K front diff lube
2) 30K rear diff lube
3) 5K diff oil in front and rear shocks
4) Tan springs front and rear
5) removed my rear sway bar

These changes made the car way more controlable and with foam tires it grabbed the road well. With the stock Traxxas Rally tires it was easy to drift. I had so much grip that the 30S Hobby wing ESC was a little hot after 10 minutes. I can't wait for the 10.5t Ballistic motor and Edge 2S speedo.
You really put 5k diff oil in your shocks?! Are you sure you didn't mean 50 weight shock oil?
I'm new to the Rally and I was just looking for some onroad tuning tips...I was just trying to make sure I was reading your post correctly
Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BJP
You really put 5k diff oil in your shocks?! Are you sure you didn't mean 50 weight shock oil?
I'm new to the Rally and I was just looking for some onroad tuning tips...I was just trying to make sure I was reading your post correctly
Yes or 10k, 15K & even 20K.

So if your goal is an on-Road Racer I'd suggest the following upgrades and base line set up. (Keep in mind the order of preference and effectiveness)

1. Wing I prefer the Losi TLR 22 wing just put 2 holes in it and put it on the rear body posts or directly on the body (Camaro, Mustang, etc.)

2. Adjustable Doop links as Matt said. Integey makes them or you can make your own. To replace the solid plastic 45 degree suspension links. This will help tremendously with traction rolling make the overall length 50mm

3. Change the springs to something very stiff. I think the 2 stiffest springs Traxxas makes are #7342 Black GTR front #7341 Tan Rear

4. Change the Shock oil as Matt recommends

5. Tires..... Muchmore rubbers or if you run on a smooth asphalt track I like foams 37 shore rear and 42 shore front for the summer seam to work great

6. Heat sink or cooling fan to keep the motor temps down. The fan does seem to work better than just the heatsink

7. If and when you ever run into a super Hi-Traction Track and you pop an out drive-out (which is usually caused from diff unloading one wheel then when the wheel loads... all that force has to go somewhere... and the out-drive yoke is what says uncle) , I'd suggest getting a set of CVD's or if you want a more inexpensive fix but a piece of 3/8" brass tube and cut 4) 1/4" pieces off and slide it on past the "screw in set pin) on the diff side. Works great too. Center diff will often solve this problem too. This is just less expensive & fixes 90% of the problem.

8. Adjustable toe links for the front and back of car (just a tuning aid) you can cheat the system with the pillow balls but the links make it much easier

If you want to go beyond that on upgrades my secondary list would be:

- Traxxas Center diff with 100K - 500K diff oil. Improves drivability & reliability. (If you have ever popped a driveshaft this will cure it)

-Hitec HS-82 Hi-Speed Servo

-RPM Hub Carriers. They allow you to remove slop from the pillow balls so down the road you might want to invest in these.

-Ball Berings for the Steering bellcranks 5X8X2.5 I beleive

Baseline on road set up.
Front-

-black gtr springs
-10k diff oil in the shocks
-Ofna Diff Lock Lube in the front diff
1 degree toe out
3-4mm ride height
about 1-3mm of droop
1 degrees - camber

Rear-

-Tan GTR springs
-10k diff oil in the shocks
-50k-100K diff fluid in the diff (higher oil for hi-traction tracks)
- 2 degrees of toe in
-3-4mm of ride height
-about 2-3mm of droop
-1 degree of - camber

Other tuning-

-Stock 28T pinion/spur with 3s on Large Fast tracks
-21T Pinion 3S on smaller tracks
-Run a 2nd battery for weight on Hi-Traction Tracks to prevent traction rolling
-Dial your steering dual rate down to between 60%-90% for most tracks (If using the Traxxas radio set your multi knob for steering dual rate)

Below is some video of the cars running with most of these changes and they are easy to drive, tough as nails, & FAST!

Good luck and have fun these little guys are a blast! ! ! !

http://youtu.be/WBAaXaLtiQU
Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So what kind of driving/racing can you do with these? Are people still racing them or are they more for bashing these days?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bosshog64
So what kind of driving/racing can you do with these? Are people still racing them or are they more for bashing these days?
I think like all of the RC cars the answer is Both.

If you have a place to race them and at least 4 or 5 guys than there is usually race.

I know in Houston there are several tracks that race them or would be happy too if enough guys showed up with them to make a class.

Here is a video I shot of them racing at Mikes "Gulf Coast Raceway"
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is the one of the fist video we did of the little 1/16th on the track as we were figuring the set ups out. It is a little long and gets a bit boring but you get the idea
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So depends if you want to race them & have a place & 3 or 4 other guys to race with. If not just bash them and have a ball.

As far as racing goes these little guys really shine on an unprepared track. Which is a plus because your Serpents and pan cars are all over the place the little rallies are planted.

I still think that as far as racing goes these little guys are the best bang for your buck in RC racing you can find. Fast - tough - cheap - tires last forever -etc.

Also did a cheap quick conversion on the 1/10th Rally and it is huge basiclly a 1/8th GT car in fact threw a Protoform GT-8 body on it changed the tires and got a super stable easy to drive on road racer.
Check it out:
+ YouTube Video

Last edited by Darnall; 08-29-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi there,
I am looking for set-up info for carpet racing?
I bought some shock travel limiters to reduce the droop. The rest is about bone stock execpt center diff. What else can i do? To make the 1/16 more stable in turns and less body rolling?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schs2013
Hi there,
I am looking for set-up info for carpet racing?
I bought some shock travel limiters to reduce the droop. The rest is about bone stock execpt center diff. What else can i do? To make the 1/16 more stable in turns and less body rolling?
The Turnbuckles will be the biggest bang for you buck.

Then from there stiffen it up (stiffer springs, Thicker shock oil)

Keep it low and run two batteries to help lower the CG.

Also if you are getting up over 15MPH Put a big wing on the back. The TLR22 is a great easy fit.

Hope that helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.