Wiki Posts
Search

Better 1/18th Touring Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
If you get a current kit the pro chassis has 6 slots not 5.

I would disagree w/ other's comments on the m18 pro. If you look at the Micro Nats results all the podium finishers were Exotek chassis, and all of them ran GPM adjustable shocks.

I run an Exotek chassis and GPM shocks, just about everyone at my track runs an aftermarket chassis (Penguin or Exotek/Motek) and part of the reason for that are shortcomings in the stock chasis in steering geometry and other areas.
I believe first was a Xray Driver whom ran the regular Pro (Robbie Dodge? sp?) in mod. Could be wrong. Also, I also think most people were using the atomic shocks. Not the GPM. The atomic along with their lowering springs allow greater tunability since the spring rides more in its travel versus at its top. The GPM I have heard too many complaints about poor manufacturing.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
I believe first was a Xray Driver whom ran the regular Pro (Robbie Dodge? sp?) in mod. Could be wrong. Also, I also think most people were using the atomic shocks. Not the GPM. The atomic along with their lowering springs allow greater tunability since the spring rides more in its travel versus at its top. The GPM I have heard too many complaints about poor manufacturing.
Robbie ran an R3. highest regular pro chassis was Zack Barry (3rd). Most people use the atomic shocks. you can use atomic springs on GPM shocks, but not too many people run GPM's in the 1st place.

As it sits, the raptor will be eaten alive by Exotek/M18's. The belt drive is cool, but its a step backwards chassis wise, and will suffer consequently. but the potential is there.

Ive heard of people who claim to have dialed MRS4's, but I have yet to see one, and until I do that will remain a myth to me, as ive seen plenty that are ill handling piles.

cheezburger - the stock M18 will fit 150mm MRS4 bodies (and any other 150 bodies)

The M18 is defiantely the best out there right now. and the cool thing is, all you need is the pro kit, and a $10 spring set, and youll be competitive.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Robbie ran an R3. highest regular pro chassis was Zack Barry (3rd).

Opps! My mistake. I wasn't sure though.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Interesting... so how well can the stock m18 drivetrain handle brushless and lipo? I'm guessing i'd use either the Castle Creations brushless system or the Associated Reedy Micro brushless system. And for the battery i'd use the FlightPower 7.4v battery packs.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cheezburger
Interesting... so how well can the stock m18 drivetrain handle brushless and lipo? I'm guessing i'd use either the Castle Creations brushless system or the Associated Reedy Micro brushless system. And for the battery i'd use the FlightPower 7.4v battery packs.
Not a problem.......XRay put a lot of thought in the plastics used in there drivetrain. I've been using a 8000kv Castle brushless motor with a 7.4 lipo in my M18 for 2 years now without a problem.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Ive heard of people who claim to have dialed MRS4's, but I have yet to see one, and until I do that will remain a myth to me, as ive seen plenty that are ill handling piles.
same here...never saw an hpi at any big event LOL

it probably an URBAN LEGEND !!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hide
How about this one? I know its hard for you US guys to get, but it looks like a winner.

I have one of those and will run it in the mrl next year. we will see.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maximebeauvais
same here...never saw an hpi at any big event LOL

it probably an URBAN LEGEND !!!!
you will in 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont sleep on hpi were back!
Attached Thumbnails Better 1/18th Touring Car?-picture-100.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Default M18=carpet

The M18 can not handle a parking lot. Unless the asphalt is an extremely smooth dedicated track surface the M18 will be too effected by imperfections and bumps in the surface.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Suspended

LOL
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigb11
you will in 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont sleep on hpi were back!
It would be interesting to see how a "new" type of HPI belt drive platform will perform, especially with the "new" belt drive version on an XRay style platform soon to be available. IMO, I still think the "original style" shaft drive XRay platform is the most efficent in the Micro Touring class. With that said, IMO, I still think XRay shaft drive is King. Next season should bring us some interesting Micro Touring competition. Looking forward seeing all the variety of new stuff coming out for us all to ponder over and compete with. It's great to see all the effort going into a true 1/18th Micro Touring class. It will make this class continue to grow strong in popularity, which is great for this hobby. Best of luck to all with there "new" versions coming out. It's also nice to see some new blood in this class.
Dave
Old 03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Robbie ran an R3. highest regular pro chassis was Zack Barry (3rd). Most people use the atomic shocks. you can use atomic springs on GPM shocks, but not too many people run GPM's in the 1st place.

As it sits, the raptor will be eaten alive by Exotek/M18's. The belt drive is cool, but its a step backwards chassis wise, and will suffer consequently. but the potential is there.

cheezburger - the stock M18 will fit 150mm MRS4 bodies (and any other 150 bodies)

The M18 is defiantely the best out there right now. and the cool thing is, all you need is the pro kit, and a $10 spring set, and youll be competitive.
Dunno why I said GPM . I must have h ad GPM on my mind when I tapped this out, it is Atomic that makes the Micro Adjustable shocks we all use for the M18. My mistake.

I'm excited to see some competition in the micro scales too. Competition is good for the class!