Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Converting MR-03 EVO to 102mm lm, help pls. >

Converting MR-03 EVO to 102mm lm, help pls.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By orcadigital

Converting MR-03 EVO to 102mm lm, help pls.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Converting MR-03 EVO to 102mm lm, help pls.

Hi, Im new to mini-z modifications, I have just been using the stock cars for a few months. I really enjoy driving the 102mm / lm stock car I have and want to build out a higher performing car now that I am driving a little better. I have ordered the following:
  1. MR-03 EVO W/MM 12000kv
  2. Kyosho Mini-Z EVO Receiver Unit KT18 EX6 EX6R
  3. R246-1222 R246 Roll Damper / Oil Shock for MM 98mm / LM 102mm
  4. PN Mini-Z LM Light Weight 64P Ceramic Ball Diff Set
  5. PN Racing Mini-Z MR02/03 93-102mm Multi Motor Mount
  6. MR2395DB PN Racing Mini-Z LM Differential Carrier for Multi Mount
  7. Atomic Mini-Z MR-03 LM Fiber Glass T-Plate Set - 5.5mm/6.5mm/7.5mm
I can't seem to find the LM wheel set anywhere, seems to be discontinued. I also cant find the pn racing 5500kv brushless motor, which seems like it will be back in stock at some point soon.

Anyone have any advice on setting this up? Can i just solder the pn motor to the existing EVO board, once i find one in stock? Will this R246 damper and shock install okay?

Any advice on any other parts I may need to complete the build?
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by acidreign
Hi, Im new to mini-z modifications, I have just been using the stock cars for a few months. I really enjoy driving the 102mm / lm stock car I have and want to build out a higher performing car now that I am driving a little better. I have ordered the following:
  1. MR-03 EVO W/MM 12000kv
  2. Kyosho Mini-Z EVO Receiver Unit KT18 EX6 EX6R
  3. R246-1222 R246 Roll Damper / Oil Shock for MM 98mm / LM 102mm
  4. PN Mini-Z LM Light Weight 64P Ceramic Ball Diff Set
  5. PN Racing Mini-Z MR02/03 93-102mm Multi Motor Mount
  6. MR2395DB PN Racing Mini-Z LM Differential Carrier for Multi Mount
  7. Atomic Mini-Z MR-03 LM Fiber Glass T-Plate Set - 5.5mm/6.5mm/7.5mm
I can't seem to find the LM wheel set anywhere, seems to be discontinued. I also cant find the pn racing 5500kv brushless motor, which seems like it will be back in stock at some point soon.

Anyone have any advice on setting this up? Can i just solder the pn motor to the existing EVO board, once i find one in stock? Will this R246 damper and shock install okay?

Any advice on any other parts I may need to complete the build?
Good looking setup. The pn motor has been hard to come by. Hopefully they will have some stock soon, I need one for an upcoming race too. The motors come without wires, but the evo boards come with tons of extra wire on them so you can solder directly to the motor.
LM wheels Here is a set of aluminum ones. Looks like they have a silver set of 2.5 offset in stock also. I did a search for 17mm to find them.
Other than wheels the only other thing I don't see listed that you will need to run are tires.
Looks like a fun build.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:40 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I will preface this response saying that I do not have the 93-102 motormount.

When adjusting wheelbase to my understanding, the mount body remains static and the axle carrier will move tto the appropriate wheelbase. The damper position remains in the same position which would be at the 94mm position.

the LM carrier has adjustability for 98-102mm wheelbase at the forward most t-plate position. Meaning that you could set the mount at 98mm, not move the t-plate rearward 4mm to meet 102mm wheelbase. However, I believe that even with this configuration, the r246-1222 damper would need to be used in the 98mm MM configuration with the damper plate above the chassis adapter plate. This should also require a shim under the damper post to center it on the damper plate for even preload of the discs.

depending what your tire preferences are, you might want to use standard tiles and wheels with more power from a 5500kv motor. The atomic 5500kv or GL 5250KV motors are available and have similar power. Unless you are restricted to pn motors only, you have options.

You can solder the motor leads to the pcb. This is how I run all of my motors including the one kyosho that I have used

I find that the kyosho LM tires can work ok for stock classes, but putting more pwr through them requires more high performance rubber. The kyosho rubber just doesn't seem to have enough grip when pushing more than stock power on RCP. I would just look for wheels of similar offset and you should be ok.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MTseo
Good looking setup. The pn motor has been hard to come by. Hopefully they will have some stock soon, I need one for an upcoming race too. The motors come without wires, but the evo boards come with tons of extra wire on them so you can solder directly to the motor.
LM wheels is a set of aluminum ones. Looks like they have a silver set of 2.5 offset in stock also. I did a search for 17mm to find them.
Other than wheels the only other thing I don't see listed that you will need to run are tires.
Looks like a fun build.

Thanks, so any 17mm wheel will fit in the rear?
Old 03-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by EMU

the LM carrier has adjustability for 98-102mm wheelbase at the forward most t-plate position. Meaning that you could set the mount at 98mm, not move the t-plate rearward 4mm to meet 102mm wheelbase. However, I believe that even with this configuration, the r246-1222 damper would need to be used in the 98mm MM configuration with the damper plate above the chassis adapter plate. This should also require a shim under the damper post to center it on the damper plate for even preload of the discs.

depending what your tire preferences are, you might want to use standard tiles and wheels with more power from a 5500kv motor. The atomic 5500kv or GL 5250KV motors are available and have similar power. Unless you are restricted to pn motors only, you have options.

You can solder the motor leads to the pcb. This is how I run all of my motors including the one kyosho that I have used

I find that the kyosho LM tires can work ok for stock classes, but putting more pwr through them requires more high performance rubber. The kyosho rubber just doesn't seem to have enough grip when pushing more than stock power on RCP. I would just look for wheels of similar offset and you should be ok.
Thanks!! Much appreciated. So would you use a different damper for this setup? If i do stick with this damper, what sort of shim should i get in order to set it up? Just any piece of thin plastic?

Also, what tires do you recommend?
Old 03-30-2019, 12:46 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What surface will you be running the car on? Different tires work best on different surfaces. In general, I have been liking the PN KS Super Soft wide rear with firm or medium front tires.

Try assembling the damper without a shim, and see how much gap you need to fill. A small M2 nut is often what I use for a 2mm shim.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

On RCP Track, I have run the Kyosho LM high grip tires with great success. This is with everything from a PN70T to a Kyosho XSpeed motor. The tires are very round and take some time to wear in but I have had no issues getting the power to the ground. As far as wheels, it will depend on what body you are running. The Mazda runs one size, while the C9 and Porsche's run another. Kyosho America was stocking options for both at last check, but you have to search by part number. Both are currently showing unavailable. MZH301KR is the nicer Porsche set and MZH302RE is the Mazda set. The new C9 white body set does come with wheels as well as high and low downforce wings.

The other option, is that you can run standard wheels. You have to be careful on clearances, and possibly do some grinding of the body to make sure everything clears correctly. My EVO is currently setup as a 102LM with a C9 body, but I am using a standard diff, the V4LCG 98-
102 pod with +3 offset rear wheels with +2 offset fronts from GL

EMU likes this.