Wiki Posts
Search

Static issues with speedos and motors on the new CRC carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Static issues with speedos and motors on the new CRC carpet

Both the Indoor Champs and Snowbirds had issues with static playing havoc with motors and speedos causing some to ground the speedo to the chassis. This is a little concerning to me as I had a fellow racer go through (4) speedos and (3) motors because of this at the Birds. Pretty expensive if you have to pay full retail like myself. Anyone have any insight on this topic?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont have a answer as to the cause of the problem ,but i do have a solution back years ago we had the same problem certain times of the year and to solve it we sprayed our cars with static guard you can buy it at most grocery stores .
we have bolted a small rubber oring cut into off the chassic to touch the carpet and it seemed to help too.
sorry to hear that you are having that problem back then we called novak and they give us some suggestions and tekin helped out also but in todays world its hard to get woohn choong in china to help out so please try to support what we have left .
i know that its hard to beat stuff like hobbywing we run them in the dirt oval world but its because we have too if it was my choise i would have a tekin in my cars , thats all i use for modified .
good luck with this problem and i sure hope that helps out .
spray the whole car too
Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

acuvance. Google them. They make a static discharge device that hooks to the ground of the speedo to dissipate the static built up in the car when running on foam tires. I have had zero issues since using this.

EA
Old 02-09-2017, 04:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My recommendation is a ground wire from ESC negative to a steel flathead screw on the chassis plate. Trip the wire insulation and make into a circle. Secure the wire into screw with a lock nut.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried all of it at Cleveland, only thing that worked for me was letting a bare wire drag on the track under the car that was soldered to the negative post on the esc. I didn't try this until the main, was only time i made 8 minutes all weekend
Old 02-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
acuvance. Google them. They make a static discharge device that hooks to the ground of the speedo to dissipate the static built up in the car when running on foam tires. I have had zero issues since using this.

EA
http://acuvance-usa.com/acutronphotonicstabilizer.aspx
Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is that problem ocurring only on aluminum chassis, or does it also affect carbon fiber and plastic, etc, ????
My tc4.2 plastic chassis does not seem to have this issue...
Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Zero issues for me at both races... Coming on and off the dots seems to be the disscharge causing problems for a few drivers. I can say that while helping a driver who had the issue, two identical cars one would fail one was fine...
I can't say there is anything different today from a year ago. By the way chris I have yet to see a speedo fail, as in not work any more,just shut off and require turning the switch on and off.. Over gearing/timing melting motors down and taking speedos with it are irrelevant to any static shut off.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Both the Indoor Champs and Snowbirds had issues with static playing havoc with motors and speedos causing some to ground the speedo to the chassis. This is a little concerning to me as I had a fellow racer go through (4) speedos and (3) motors because of this at the Birds. Pretty expensive if you have to pay full retail like myself. Anyone have any insight on this topic?
Not enough info in this post.

Was this affecting foam tire or rubber tire classes?
1-cell or 2-cell classes?
On-road or Oval?

----------

I've seen in the past that some tracks had a lot of static build-up in them. The old pan car solution was to hang a wire from the bottom of the rear pod that would drag on the carpet so as to electrically ground the car.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Not enough info in this post.

Was this affecting foam tire or rubber tire classes?
1-cell or 2-cell classes?
On-road or Oval?

----------

I've seen in the past that some tracks had a lot of static build-up in them. The old pan car solution was to hang a wire from the bottom of the rear pod that would drag on the carpet so as to electrically ground the car.
1/12th foam.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Default Snowbirds

Example of a car with ground wire....
Attached Thumbnails Static issues with speedos and motors on the new CRC carpet-img_0346.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Was there issues in tc also
Old 02-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I cannot imagine a rubber tc would have issues as rubber insulates and doesn't conduct.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
I cannot imagine a rubber tc would have issues as rubber insulates and doesn't conduct.
Did you ever do the little experiment is school where you rubbed a piece of plastic against another piece and then it would stick to your hand? Think the plastic bag used to cover dry cleaned clothing. I think it is the same thing. My theory is that the rubber tire is slipping (rubbing) on the carpet to generate the static and it is building up in the chassis including the wires of the electronics.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl
Did you ever do the little experiment is school where you rubbed a piece of plastic against another piece and then it would stick to your hand? Think the plastic bag used to cover dry cleaned clothing. I think it is the same thing. My theory is that the rubber tire is slipping (rubbing) on the carpet to generate the static and it is building up in the chassis including the wires of the electronics.
Also, the chassis itself will brush against the track surface.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.