Search

Orion GP 4300 cells!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frans H
why do you cycle the packs ?
Cycling packs is useful to monitor the packs performance and see how they are holding up. It's the equivalent of a motor dyno telling which motor has more torque and rpm.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The very early batches of IB3800s had a higher percentage of venting cells but this has long been resolved. We still see some cells vent on our matching equipment but it's a very low percentage. We have also retested the cells that have vented and the numbers on the matching equipment stay about the same. A few US companys who have matched some of the latest GP cells tell me that they also see some cells vent on the matching equipment.

It has been our experience that if you treat your IB packs the proper way they will hold up as well if not better than any other pack currently on the market. We have some of our racers reporting that their packs are showing the same if not better numbers after being used since the start of the indoor season which is in the fall.

In the end racers should welcome competition in the battery market as this will lead to better cells and will make for lower prices or atleast keep them from increasing. As a former customer of GP the price of the GP3300 went up 25% in 18 months due to the 3300 being the only cell available worth racing. The retails from Peak/Orion on GP3300 use to be 120.00 for the top packs now on the GP4300 it's 100.00 retail which is exactly the retail we established for the IB4200s. So this proves that competition will benefit the racer.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Cycling packs is useful to monitor the packs performance and see how they are holding up. It's the equivalent of a motor dyno telling which motor has more torque and rpm.
In my experiences I never use a GP battery 2 times a day because I allways felt the GP performed a little less the second time. That's why I use the (GP) packs only once.
The IB cells on other hand performed better the second time used on 1 day.

I never checked these "experiences" by discharge nrs so.........

Thats why I asked.....

Frans

Last edited by Frans H; 04-16-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:27 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frans H
In my experiences I never use a GP battery 2 times a day because I allways felt the GP performed a little less the second time. That's why I use the (GP) packs only once.
The IB cells on other hand performed better the second time used on 1 day.

I never checked these "experiences" by discharge nrs so.........

Thats why I asked.....

Frans
Maybe it depends what you define as "performed a little less the second time".
Using a pack two times a day, yes you may loose a little runtime. But I always had more punch the second time. This was with my GP3300 and this is the same now with my IB4200.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

Well this is my experience from last week end. Built 3 brand new IB 4200s, and one GP3700. Different matchers but both good matchers.

Out of the 3 IBs, only one would take its first charge well. The other two kept on false peaking. They had been trayed before hand on a Tekin battery doctor tray. After the run, trayed again, waited 4 hours and charged them again. Same story, only one worked (luckily, the one in my car, lol). The other two showed venting on at least one cell.

Now for the GP, zero false peak for both charges, no venting either.

On the track, the GP was as quick as the IB (racing mod), and the only limiting factor I could see was if I had a lower wind motor, I might not have been able to push for a whole run. Saying that my mate dumped his 4200s with an 8T (I used a 9T) because he pushed to get back behind me.

I know what I'll be getting, since I race 19T duration ain't a problem for me.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Can someone recomend a maximum mAh setting for charging GP 4300's with the Orion Advantage charger?

I used to charge the GP 3700's with a maximum setting of 4200 as that was what Orion recommended - I haven't seen their recomended mAh for th3 4300's yet.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Jack – What is it with you Americans that anytime that someone doesn’t agree with you that there has to be some form of hidden agenda! I call it as I see it – if an IB or a GP vents (the last one was a IB 4200 btw) then I will say so and not bow down before you or anyone else. I you don’t like the truth then that is just tough! As to venting, offering to replace cells is of no help to those of us not in the US.
As all the manufacturers are on the limit, it isn’t surprising that it takes a while for matchers to get their ‘zapping’ technique sorted for the new cells. That is almost certainly what happened at the DHI cup but whether they would admit that is another matter. I will question their useful life, as in my experience they haven’t been as good as previous cells and I look after my cells as the cost good money over here.

I’m all for competition but for the marketing bull that goes with it. The numbers game for starters is all a bit ‘my dad is richer than your dad’. What is it with everyone having cells put in their own heatshrink anyway, never mind the SP and SP2 stickers that are stuck on some cells.
Bringing out a 3600 then a 3800 and then a 4200 it a short period of time has been of little help to the shops and distributors who are stuck with stocks that hard-core racers don’t want. They have sell them cheaper which is a boon to the club racers just looking for a decent pack for stock and don’t need the latest kit. That is only real gain we have seen. IB may have been winning in the US and so they should, given that GP have dropped the ball, but have yet to win anything major over here.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

What is it with you Americans that anytime that someone doesn’t agree with you that there has to be some form of hidden agenda! I call it as I see it – if an IB or a GP vents (the last one was a IB 4200 btw) then I will say so and not bow down before you or anyone else. I you don’t like the truth then that is just tough

i`m afriad there are quite a few UK racers that see BRCA in this frame as well
IB`s are better (for now) then some thing else , then some thing else
roll on li-po
Old 04-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Sorry Colin but I disagree with you on that point, IBs aren't any better. Matter of fact, I couldn't feel any difference between GP and IB on the track. And GPs are cheaper
Old 04-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Frank N. Furter- bow down now to my hidden agenda or be banished to America!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Oh, VERY BIG DEAL
Old 04-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Sorry Colin but I disagree with you on that point, IBs aren't any better. Matter of fact, I couldn't feel any difference between GP and IB on the track. And GPs are cheaper
crap only 1 point (not bad )
Old 04-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer

what is your hidden agenda Jack ??
does furter know some thing we don`t
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think my agenda is so well "hidden" that even I don't know what it is. Perhaps that is how we Americans are looked at on planet Transexual Transylvania. (Once again, I hope somebody picks up on the Rocky Horror references so I don't look like a douchebag).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.