The Drift Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

does anyone have a good starting point or general idea for a xray t3 cs set up. im just getting into drifting and have no idea where to start. so far i have a swapped the rear ball diff into the front and the solid front end in the rear. if it helps my electronics are a 17.5t but also have the option of a 8.5 or 6.5 if thats a better way to go. any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi, I am new to drifting too, but have several suggestions for you. First you should go visit Matt at NRC. I think he has an Xray and should be able to give you some tips.

So far you have done the right thing. What tires do you plan to run? You could run the car 50/50 or Countersteer. I suggest you try it as 50/50 for a while, you just may like it.

If you go CS then you need to find all sorts of different pulleys for the car or adapt some, which is what a lot of guys do. Check some of the dedicated drift forums, they have tons of info and will give you lots of ideas.

Just in case you are unsure, 50/50 and Countersteer are referring to your drive train. Most touring cars come with a balanced drive train ratio front to back, hence 50/50. Countersteer is almost a slang term. It would be more accurate to call it overdrive as when you add the right pulleys you are actually overdriving the rear of the car, which makes it slide out faster and allows drifting. With this type of setup you end up countersteering more than 50/50.......that's likely why its referred to as cs.

If you run your car 50/50 you basically need to work with your setup. Play with it enough and you will get it. Coming soon just north of you will be a drift track where you will be able to practice. Ask Matt about it.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah i was at nrc yesterday and i asked him a little bit about it. his car is an older xray so im not sure if the set up would be the same since the chassis and pulleys are layed about a bit different. im running some hpi drift wheels and tires. no idea what they are but they came with the kit when i got it. im assuming your talking about the NRC shop thats opening in courtney for the drifting track. definately worth the road trip. a lil excited. but for now im just going to goof around at our usual friday race nights.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok i found what i need as far as a cs gear ratios and gears i need to accomplish numerous amounts of overdrive? if thats the correct way of calling it. if anyone else has a xray tc check out csjunkies forum. theres a good write up on there
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdick
ok i found what i need as far as a cs gear ratios and gears i need to accomplish numerous amounts of overdrive? if thats the correct way of calling it. if anyone else has a xray tc check out csjunkies forum. theres a good write up on there
I'd suggest start with underdriving the front wheels.

40t front
16 front center
22 rear center (custom, I posted it up on csjunkies or one10drift, cant remember)
34 rear

Going with too small a rear pulley is going to make it harder to drive (the race spec xrays all moved to 38t rear pulley for this reason). With this setup you'll still get a nice CS ratio. I'm running HPI belts = cheaper, available from towerhobbies.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kurtz49
Very nice. Do Cup Racers drift well?
Buddy in my club has one. I like it with t-drifts... but hell, I'd drive it with square wheels just for the 510 body. I found a forum where a dude was able to fit in Yokomo gears for mild CS action (action).

Biggest issue is that its a non standard size; so you're very limited with available off the shelf upgrades.

I'm in the market for a used one. Mmmmmmmm..... Datsun 510.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

awesome thanks multi-bash. ill keep that setup in mind. and good idea on the hpi belts.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Tech Adept

Just been working on my new project...
Using an old 09 Xray I had laying around and some older hobbywing electrics I thought I'd build a drifter. Seeing as I have the real thing and normally run touring seemed like a good idea.

Not got into set up just yet but put massive camber on (8 degrees all round),a spool in the front and rear,red springs(hard as) and 1.6 roll bars all round.
Need the camber on the wheels to get them under the arches.

Excuse the cutting out it wasn't me. I bought the shell from a friend..lol
New shell is nearly ready.

And one of the full size ;-)
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey drift peeps..

Wondering what sort of diff setup I should go for for a temporary drift chassis. The car might still be run in VTA or maybe just 540/21.5 Blinky, so I dont want to mess with pulleys and belts... yet. If the drifting scene takes off locally then I will probably re-address that. But for now its just going to be 50/50.

The chassis is a Schumacher Mi1, so I cant just swap in a spool in the rear, I was thinking of rebuilding a very tight diff in the rear and use some AW grease instead of diff lube. Wont be fully locked, but very close. I'm not really sure what to do with the front diff. Tight, loose, in between..?

The car will be running a novak 10.5 sensored.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

If your just starting to drift I would leave the chassis 50/50. I wouldn't worry about the diffs, just throw some drift tires on there and get drifting.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not my first time, just my first time with a dedicated chassis that I can make major weird changes to because I don't need to go back for racing on the weekend... Also the diffs need a rebuild anyway.

So my original question stands, what should I set the diffs to for 50/50 drifting?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Lock the rear diff and leave the front a little loose.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Joining the thread as it looks like I may be acquiring some drift setups.

Losi XXX-S G+
HPI E10
Tamiya TT-01 D

Looking forward to insight on all chassis. Probably gonna make a scale garage build on of them to be a show only car and the other two into drifters and such.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wollow86
Not my first time, just my first time with a dedicated chassis that I can make major weird changes to because I don't need to go back for racing on the weekend... Also the diffs need a rebuild anyway.

So my original question stands, what should I set the diffs to for 50/50 drifting?
A front one-way and a big dose of drag brake will do wonders for changing directions while drifting. Have fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.