Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Lipo

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newracer
That will not balance all the cells, if it were only a 2 cell pack it would but since it is 4 cells you need to connect to each cell individually not just the the cells in parallel.
It will balance the cells. Two pairs of cells are in parallel. By the nature of their parallel connection they will ALWAYS stay balanced with each other. Current will flow from the high cell to the low cell so they are constantly in a state of equilibrium. You only have to balance the parallel pairs not the individual cells.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

nimo

my HPI 10g pan car does not have any t bar but i am quite concern on whether the shock absorber will be high enough that it will provide ample clearance to battery. another thing, will the battery strap good enough to prevent the battery from going sideway?

anyhow, if you have a chance, post the picture of your F103. I am sure that I can learn a lot from it.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This idea has been considered. But we have an even better idea we hope to implement some time in the near future
Hopefully a scalloped plastic bottom on the pack that fits down in battery slots....!?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

I finally got to run my brushless/orion lipo combination tonight. I had a sphere comp burn up on me last week so I didn't get to run it. After what felt like a very lengthy run with motor temps around 130, I decided to top off the battery and see how long it would run at race speed. After 31 or 32 minutes I got tired of driving and went back to the pits and topped off the battery again. It only took 3560mah to fully charge it. I then decided to take a gamble and run all three of my qualifiers and my main on the same charge. Turns out it wasn't a gamble at all. I made it no problem, although I'm not quite sure how much is left. I'll know in a little while. The car was only slightly slower at the end of my main, but nothing to complain about. Still had plenty of power to make the big triple and big double with ease. I ran the sphere comp and a novak 6.5 in a ZX-5. Tq'd and won. I love this stuff. I never even took the body off after practice. I don't know why I didn't buy this stuff earlier.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
Hopefully a scalloped plastic bottom on the pack that fits down in battery slots....!?
That would be my guess.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarbonWorks
I finally got to run my brushless/orion lipo combination tonight. I had a sphere comp burn up on me last week so I didn't get to run it. After what felt like a very lengthy run with motor temps around 130, I decided to top off the battery and see how long it would run at race speed. After 31 or 32 minutes I got tired of driving and went back to the pits and topped off the battery again. It only took 3560mah to fully charge it. I then decided to take a gamble and run all three of my qualifiers and my main on the same charge. Turns out it wasn't a gamble at all. I made it no problem, although I'm not quite sure how much is left. I'll know in a little while. The car was only slightly slower at the end of my main, but nothing to complain about. Still had plenty of power to make the big triple and big double with ease. I ran the sphere comp and a novak 6.5 in a ZX-5. Tq'd and won. I love this stuff. I never even took the body off after practice. I don't know why I didn't buy this stuff earlier.
It is amazing isn't it. Now you have to fgure out what to do with all the time you save?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

The thought occured to me this morning that if I buy another pack I can charge them at home and not even bring my charging stuff to the track. No more lathe, no more charger, no brush box, no big heavy battery box, no power supply. Nothing but a good time.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by newracer
That will not balance all the cells, if it were only a 2 cell pack it would but since it is 4 cells you need to connect to each cell individually not just the the cells in parrallel.
With Li-Po's you go by tyhe configuration not by the physical cells ( or packets as some call them)

The Platinumn Packs are 2 cell configurations therfore they charge and balance like a 2 cell.

Also on a side note I would stay away from the (MRC 977 charger for those who asked I have heard a lot of people blowing up other Li-Po's with those and when I called Orion they did not recommend it.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by corvin12xu
With Li-Po's you go by tyhe configuration not by the physical cells ( or packets as some call them)

The Platinumn Packs are 2 cell configurations therfore they charge and balance like a 2 cell.

Also on a side note I would stay away from the (MRC 977 charger for those who asked I have heard a lot of people blowing up other Li-Po's with those and when I called Orion they did not recommend it.
Corvin, thanks for the heads-up about the MRC 977 charger.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Ha s anybody had a problem with these batteries with a low turn mod? Does anybody make a pack to fit the 415msx?

Thx
Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Charles
Ha s anybody had a problem with these batteries with a low turn mod? Does anybody make a pack to fit the 415msx?

Thx
There are no Orion Lipo packs that fit the 415MSX and I do not know if I would have the same confidence in using other manufactures lipo packs from a safety stand point.
I am toying with the idea of ordering an extra right-side rear bulkhead for my 415MSX to modify for the Orion lipo packs I have. If anyone has done this type of modification to their 415MSX I would appreciate to hear about how you went about it, if you would do anything different and how well your modifications have worked.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default balancing

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Use a 2mm plug to plug into the balancing port.
http://teamorion-avionics.com/Access...onnectorsPlugs

Then you will connect the negative charge lead to the negative battery lead/socket and the positive charger lead to the balancing port, and charge.

Once charged, you then will hook the positive charger lead to the positive battery lead/socket and the negative charger lead to the balancing port, and charge.

Once that is done, you are balanced.
Now, my guess is the charger should be set for one cell, not two, correct?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just wanted to confim somthing if possible.
Am i able to run a race let it sit for 5-6m while i am marshalling then go back to my pit and just top it up strait away? Is there any time i need to wait before recharging eg cooling down ? So i would only really need 1 pack for one night

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corvin12xu

Maybe I've been lucky.......been charging my lipos with a MRC 977 for several months with no issues.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gordonmoney
Now, my guess is the charger should be set for one cell, not two, correct?
Yes. 1 cell, 3.7 volts, 4800 mah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.