Wiki Posts
Search

belt tips & methods

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default belt tips & methods

hi

i was just wondering if there is some belt tips for letting them last longer and stay new as long as possible?

and let them be REAL ONES PLEASE... not anything that will waste a belt and then you have to buy a new one because of some stupid jerk who told you a lie

so does anybody have any input???
Old 12-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

If you've got to store your car for a long time, keep them soaking in WD40 before you put the car up. Also, never bend/crease them.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

does that work???... thats only if im gonna store my car away for a while RIGHT

and oh ya this thread s for ANY kind of tips & tricks for belts
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by anthony390
does that work???... thats only if im gonna store my car away for a while RIGHT

and oh ya this thread s for ANY kind of tips & tricks for belts

Actually that softens the belt so that there's 'less' resistence....

Another extreme way to reduce the resistence is to clip away alternate teeth... This tip from Japanese Magazine.

How to prolong belt life is proper belt tensioning.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

how do i know if i am tensioning it properly???
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

how do i know if i am tensioning it properly???
Just tight enough that it doesn't skip. That's what I do, but I may be doing it all wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ben.C

Another extreme way to reduce the resistence is to clip away alternate teeth... This tip from Japanese Magazine.

when you say "less resistence" you mean like a smother drivetrain or freed up drivetrain? right?

but that doesnt mean that the life of the belt is prolonged... Right
Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ben.C

Actually the WD40 trick does not necessarly offer less resistance but it does make the belts more flexable. If you notive the current trend is stiffer belts. The Tamiya "Low Friction" white bets are much stiffer than the stock bets. Schumacher is now back to the stiffer belt (at least when I ran the Mi2, people were not using the softer belt. Corally belts are pretty stiff as well.

I think the idea is that softer, more flexable belts hold onto the pulley more, they wrap around the pulley more causing more friction. A Stiffer belt has a tendancy to not want to grab onto the belt (not sure if I am saying this correctly) so you only need to make sure the belts are tight enough to not skip and you will have a car with a much more free drivetrain.

To make a belt last long is just common sense. Do not bend or crimp. Do not let the belt flip on the pulley or roll over on itself. Do not run them overly tight and make sure they do not skip. That's about it. Do put dressing on the belt or put WD40 on it. Leave it dry. WD40 and other stuff makes the belts softer because it breaks down the rubber causing the belt to fail prematurely. Some may say the if you don't put a dressing on the belt, it will dry rot. Well that is true but it will take a belt longer to dry rot than it will take WD40 to destroy the belt.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by koabich
Actually the WD40 trick does not necessarly offer less resistance but it does make the belts more flexable. If you notive the current trend is stiffer belts. The Tamiya "Low Friction" white bets are much stiffer than the stock bets. Schumacher is now back to the stiffer belt (at least when I ran the Mi2, people were not using the softer belt. Corally belts are pretty stiff as well.

I think the idea is that softer, more flexable belts hold onto the pulley more, they wrap around the pulley more causing more friction. A Stiffer belt has a tendancy to not want to grab onto the belt (not sure if I am saying this correctly) so you only need to make sure the belts are tight enough to not skip and you will have a car with a much more free drivetrain.

To make a belt last long is just common sense. Do not bend or crimp. Do not let the belt flip on the pulley or roll over on itself. Do not run them overly tight and make sure they do not skip. That's about it. Do put dressing on the belt or put WD40 on it. Leave it dry. WD40 and other stuff makes the belts softer because it breaks down the rubber causing the belt to fail prematurely. Some may say the if you don't put a dressing on the belt, it will dry rot. Well that is true but it will take a belt longer to dry rot than it will take WD40 to destroy the belt.

thanks for the input

its a good thing that i wasnt gonna do that nor i am gonna do it now

i wasnt gonna do it because i alrady have a free drivetrian and well with your 2 cents i have even more the reason not do do it

so also what you are saying is that i shouldnt do anything to my belt...
just leave it alone and properly tension it

and oh ya any tip or tricks i can do so i can tension my belt it just right?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the input

its a good thing that i wasnt gonna do that nor i am gonna do it now

i wasnt gonna do it because i alrady have a free drivetrian and well with your 2 cents i have even more the reason not do do it

so also what you are saying is that i shouldnt do anything to my belt...
just leave it alone and properly tension it

and oh ya any tip or tricks i can do so i can tension my belt it just right?
i usually tighten it per instructions for the specific vehicle...if i run stock motor i will normally leave a touch looser then the manual says
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

my manual doesnt say anything about the belt except for the installation
Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

The belt should have slack in it. It should not be tight. The tighter the belt the more friction it adds to the drivetrain.

The general rule around my track is run the belts as loose as you can without them skipping.

My personal advise is to play with them and see what you like. If you want better throttle response, tighten them up a bit. If you want longer runtime and more top end, try loosening them.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

so to get in the ball park you should try to get the belt as loose as possibe without it skiping and that should be the best way to prolong the belts life also?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes anthony...it isnt REAL technical like some people make it out to be...just run them loose enough where they dont skip under acceleration...u can make them a touch tighter but dont make it so tight it has serious drag on the whole drivetrain
Old 12-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

so to get in the ball park you should try to get the belt as loose as possibe without it skiping and that should be the best way to prolong the belts life also?
Also, keep in mind that new belts will stretch so you will be adjusting the belt tension after almost every run when the belt are new. Don't worry, once the belts are broken in, they will stop stretching!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.