Search

cheapo esc vs expensive esc

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:14 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by No9
I bought a ford and it does everything my mates BMW does,the BMW is built better,has higher quality parts and performs better.
I have been in the electronics industry for over 20yrs and have repaired many esc's of all different brands.
What stands out the most between cheap and not so cheap is pcb material and component quality.
I can tell you first hand that a speed passion board is no where near the quality of an Lrp/Viper etc.
Trackstar/toro and most cheap brands use reinforced paper pcb boards instead of fiber glass and over time they expand and become soft.
Cheap esc's are great they help keep cost down and for the most part do a great job but there is a big gap between cheap and more expensive brands,it's not always visible but it is there.
So argue all you want about it but at the end of the day quality beats price always.
Really need a Facebook Like Button when someone talks this much sense, doesn't happen too often on here though lol!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar
Really need a Facebook Like Button when someone talks this much sense, doesn't happen too often on here though lol!
+1. It does make sense.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by No9
I bought a ford and it does everything my mates BMW does,the BMW is built better,has higher quality parts and performs better.
I have been in the electronics industry for over 20yrs and have repaired many esc's of all different brands.
What stands out the most between cheap and not so cheap is pcb material and component quality.
I can tell you first hand that a speed passion board is no where near the quality of an Lrp/Viper etc.
Trackstar/toro and most cheap brands use reinforced paper pcb boards instead of fiber glass and over time they expand and become soft.
Cheap esc's are great they help keep cost down and for the most part do a great job but there is a big gap between cheap and more expensive brands,it's not always visible but it is there.
So argue all you want about it but at the end of the day quality beats price always.
Yes but when your mates battery goes out he's going to pay three times as much as you would to replace it. Same goes for an esc. I can replace a $60 esc every year with a brand new one if I wanted but when your $200 esc let's out the magic smoke that's going to be a real stinger.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Oh come on.. If you need to ask this question you obviously have not started pushing things.

(Regarding software, "feel" and placebo. An esc software takes alot of work/time/testing to write. Some are now years old and are still being improved upon. Because it's software dosen't mean it's cheap
Old 05-30-2015, 02:15 PM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
Yes but when your mates battery goes out he's going to pay three times as much as you would to replace it. Same goes for an esc. I can replace a $60 esc every year with a brand new one if I wanted but when your $200 esc let's out the magic smoke that's going to be a real stinger.
That may be True but he will have less visits for warranty issues and 5yrs from his battery instead of the 2yrs i got for mine.
I have 3 LRP sphere esc's and i use a futaba 3pk and ko servos all over 8yrs old and used every weekend,my radio has over 200hrs on it and is like new.
90% Of the time esc failure is due to incorrect use 10% unit fault.
I don't have a big budget i have patience,i save and buy good quality.
Originally Posted by radek
Oh come on.. If you need to ask this question you obviously have not started pushing things.

(Regarding software, "feel" and placebo. An esc software takes alot of work/time/testing to write. Some are now years old and are still being improved upon. Because it's software dosen't mean it's cheap
Your right on here mate it is extremely difficult process and very time consuming.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2uzferunner03
That depends. For some people going to a big race, if your $60 ESC dies on you and you're in the lead, it would suck big time.

Not to say high end ESCs are always the best. I've had Tekins go bad and seen so many RX8 go up in flames. In my opinion, Tekin is overpriced crap. Not as smooth and unreliable.

I've ran cheap ESCs and more expensive ones. I run Hobbywing and Orcas primarily now based on the programming "feel" and overall quality. No9 is right about components. I've been in electronics assembly and in the printed circuit board manufacturing industry (working as a quality engineer). You can outfit anything you build with the cheapest of components with higher rates of failure, or spend more for quality components that are more robust and hold tolerance better.

Sometimes you pay extra for better support or you're paying for their sponsored drivers. Hobbywing used to be fairly inexpensive until they started expanding and sponsoring more major drivers.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You guys speaking of how cheap this ESC is built vs the others obviously have not seen the 1S Trackstar 120amp ESC I have. It is on par with any "top" quality ESC I have seen. And I am also an electrical engineer. I heard the older ones were not up to par but these newer ones are built quite well. I can tell you this ESC is not some cardboard crap I have seen in the past. If you look at the electric aircraft stuff, you'll see cheap crap for sure.

I used to be a Novak guy back in the early 90s. I had T1, T4 and I still have a Cyclone. Tekin always seemed very On/off to me although they always had the best brakes. I loved their chargers though. When I got back into this hobby last year. I was shocked to know that Novak just wasn't a top performer these days.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by No9
What stands out the most between cheap and not so cheap is pcb material and component quality.most cheap brands use reinforced paper pcb boards instead of fiber glass and over time they expand and become soft.
Regarding the PCB material the reinforced paper PCBs. They come in 3 different ratings the higher quality use the same resin as FR-4 but wood fibers instead of fiberglass.

Not ideal but they will outlast most RC users life expectancy.

Re LRP I still have my LRP sphere too, purchased in 2007 great ESC.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Now I got curious... Where can you buy Hobbyking ESCs? Does anybody have a link? Hobbyking will not take my PayPal. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check out turnigy trackstar..........me and my brother have them......just run blinky but for 35$........im very impressed.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by what brakes
Check out turnigy trackstar..........me and my brother have them......just run blinky but for 35$........im very impressed.
I have had quite a bit of success with this speedy over the last 6 months. However it has not developed a nasty little habit. Does not seem to be able to keep power to the receiver. As such I have been dropping laps. I tried swapping out the caps and even the receiver itself. The only workaround i found was to run a receiver pack. Running a 3.5t does put quite some load on electronics so I guess it has degraded over time. I will be switching to a Hobbywing.
Nothing against the HK esc, I still suggest it as a cheap option for people who want to run stock 12th or are just getting started.

Cheers,

BD
Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It list that 3.5 turn as the limit, however, there may be other issues. Some motors can pull more current than others, You could have the low voltage cutout too low or the motor could be dropping the voltage on the battery under hard load. We have seen this with a lot of speedos, not just this one. A guy running WGT at the track was having this issue with his LRP and I have seen the same on HW speedos.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Anyone had experienced with Muchmore Fleta? I just bought one and had trouble setting up the brakes on my TC. Problem is that the brake is not responsive or powerful enough that I often overshoot corners and turns. Set at 100% braking power and 16khz with +50% EXP setting on my TX just to get a decent brake power. Had a cheaper Speed Passion Pro V1.1 on the same car setup and it brakes to a screech. So what does that say about cheaper vs expensive ESC?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know I have all three ESC's ...speed passions are my fav' ...price is about a 3rd of the other brands and they just work. My Viper is so dang finicky, it seems to go into a safe mode after any hard jump. I have to walk out to the track turn off and turn on the esc to get it to go again. The quality of parts may be better, but my Speed Passion just works and I honestly don't worry about it.

I get the BMW vs Ford analogy, I own a 1:1 Porsche, and my wife has a BMW. There is nothing like their quality. There ergonomics, fit and finish, feel of materials, and solid perfomance. There is a tangible and noticeable difference between a Porsche and any American or Japanese car, it's night and day. But w/ ESC's .... all I personally care about is price and performance. I could care less what its made of, if it performs that is all that matters to me.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:07 PM
No9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
I don't know I have all three ESC's ...speed passions are my fav' ...price is about a 3rd of the other brands and they just work. My Viper is so dang finicky, it seems to go into a safe mode after any hard jump. I have to walk out to the track turn off and turn on the esc to get it to go again. The quality of parts may be better, but my Speed Passion just works and I honestly don't worry about it.

I get the BMW vs Ford analogy, I own a 1:1 Porsche, and my wife has a BMW. There is nothing like their quality. There ergonomics, fit and finish, feel of materials, and solid perfomance. There is a tangible and noticeable difference between a Porsche and any American or Japanese car, it's night and day. But w/ ESC's .... all I personally care about is price and performance. I could care less what its made of, if it performs that is all that matters to me.
Viper esc's are very sensitive and i have come across this issue before,re solder all your wires with fresh solder and that should sort it.
Speed passion work fine i have nothing against them at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.