Wiki Posts
Search

Roar Legal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Roar Legal

Maybe a stupid question, but are all trinty D4's motors roar legal for spec racing.
Some are not on the list. Eample the big blue certified is not on the list even though trinity lists them as spec motors.
Thanks trying not to be too confusing.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

It can still be spec but not roar legal. Example 21.5 outlaw spec motor from hobbywing.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Big blue are Trinity's version of a blatant cheater motor. Hobbywing has the Bandit and Novak has the Vulcan Outlaw. I'm sure there are others as well.

All have much heavier wire in the stator. Built specifically for clubs that just say "Any 17.5 motor" as opposed to "Any ROAR approved 17.5 motor"

Definitely not built to ROAR specs.

These motors shouldn't exist at all IMO and the companies who sell them and the people who buy them should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Agreed. It just confuses honest buyers and gives cheaters at club races an advantage.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Yup. I dont think anyone at my local track is run in these types of motors, but the only thing that really gets teched is weight. The RD walks the pits during practice and between rounds to eyeball peoples gear, but you cant tell one motor from another with wires and fans all over them.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There is a thread on the Off-Road forum about the Trinity Short Stack rotors being too big.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64
There is a thread on the Off-Road forum about the Trinity Short Stack rotors being too big.
Actually they found some of the stators too short.

You do need to check your rotors too. I have seen a couple ROAR approved 12.5 rotors come in slightly too big or too long. That's not just for D4s but any motor. I have a too long Reedy right now.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys...I am a honest guy that was confused....lol
I don't think you should label a motor as spec if its not roar legal.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Spec just denotes that it is a spec turn for a spec class. Not that its ROAR legal hence why they dont say its ROAR legal.

I agree its not good for the average racer that doesnt know what all the differences are and confuses people.

The D4 and the D4 1S are ROAR legal. There have been some manufacturing tolerances with all motors that can cause them to be too short. If you get one like that that wont pass tech or your not comfortable with I suggest contacting the manufacture and they will make it right for you by sending a replacement in most cases.

EA
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Spec just denotes that it is a spec turn for a spec class. Not that its ROAR legal hence why they dont say its ROAR legal.

I agree its not good for the average racer that doesnt know what all the differences are and confuses people.

The D4 and the D4 1S are ROAR legal. There have been some manufacturing tolerances with all motors that can cause them to be too short. If you get one like that that wont pass tech or your not comfortable with I suggest contacting the manufacture and they will make it right for you by sending a replacement in most cases.

EA
It's nice to hear that manufactures will help, but it doesn't help a racer that shows up to a race and has an illegal motor. He/She will have to scramble to get a legal motor, possibly incurring added costs they were not expecting.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's nice to hear that manufactures will help, but it doesn't help a racer that shows up to a race and has an illegal motor. He/She will have to scramble to get a legal motor, possibly incurring added costs they were not expecting.
You need to check your own gear before attending a race.

Very easy to measure with calipers.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DamianW
You need to check your own gear before attending a race.

Very easy to measure with calipers.
My point is that a "ROAR Legal" motor, should be "Legal", right out of the box. I should not have to check. I paid for "ROAR Legal", not close to legal.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My point is that a "ROAR Legal" motor, should be "Legal", right out of the box. I should not have to check. I paid for "ROAR Legal", not close to legal.
It should be yes but mistakes happen in mass production. Check your stuff. You do not get to take advantage of a manufacturing defect.