Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTB help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Novak GTB help needed

I just switched all my electronics from one car to the next. Left servo, motor, esc, and receiver all hooked up and just transfered them. Everything was working fine last time I used car. Now I turn it on and the fan turns on and the servo works fine but the esc won't do anything. None of the lights come on. Any ideas what is happening?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

I would first try to redo the one touch programming. Its step 5 in the little setup booklet they give you.

1. Turn on the transmitter's power
2. Press and hold the ESC's one-touch/programming button (its next to the on/off switch)
3. Turn on the speed control's power (while holding the programming button)
4. Continue holding until red LED comes on
5. Release one-touch button as soon as LED turns RED
6. Pull transmitter throttle to full-on position (hold it there until green status LED turns solid green)
7. Push transmitter throttle to full-brakes (hold it there until green status LED blinks green)
8. Return transmitter throttle to neutral (red status LED will turn solid red, indicating that speed control is at neutral and that proper programming has been completed)
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

also if your running a Spektrum .. make sure to Bind them .. had a simular problem ..
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

shouldn't it be fine when the servo is working?

Originally Posted by mb racer
also if your running a Spektrum .. make sure to Bind them .. had a simular problem ..
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

I thought that too but I get no lights.

I did notice that when I have it on the motor is getting power. Feels kinda like the brakes are on...

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
I would first try to redo the one touch programming. Its step 5 in the little setup booklet they give you.

1. Turn on the transmitter's power
2. Press and hold the ESC's one-touch/programming button (its next to the on/off switch)
3. Turn on the speed control's power (while holding the programming button)
4. Continue holding until red LED comes on
5. Release one-touch button as soon as LED turns RED
6. Pull transmitter throttle to full-on position (hold it there until green status LED turns solid green)
7. Push transmitter throttle to full-brakes (hold it there until green status LED blinks green)
8. Return transmitter throttle to neutral (red status LED will turn solid red, indicating that speed control is at neutral and that proper programming has been completed)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

reverse the throttle setting on the TX?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Had the same problem 3 weeks ago...
At full speed on the straight my motor quit on me, luckily went to brakes and the car came to a dead stop, servo and fan still working fine but no LEDs on the ESC lighting up.
Let it cool off, tried it again, same thing, tried to reprogram, nothing, tried to setup, nothing.

Let the car rest for 4 hours and thought, lets try that again, bad idea:
Hooked up the battery, no problem... threw on the switch, heard a ticking sound and about 6 seconds later the gold contacts from my battery wires desoldered themselves and the 2.5qmm cable was f*cking hot. ESC heatsink was warm.

Opened the ESC and guess what, nothing to see but there was a definate burning smell from in between the 2 PCBs in the ESC (which you cant look between.

Has been sent in for repairs...
(but I must say, I've been driving it hard for a year and I've seen more sphere's smoke then GTB's)
Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

I can't imagine mine is damaged though. It worked perfect last time I used it. All I did was transfer my electronics to a new car and plug it in to test if it works. hmmmm

Originally Posted by Quante
Had the same problem 3 weeks ago...
At full speed on the straight my motor quit on me, luckily went to brakes and the car came to a dead stop, servo and fan still working fine but no LEDs on the ESC lighting up.
Let it cool off, tried it again, same thing, tried to reprogram, nothing, tried to setup, nothing.

Let the car rest for 4 hours and thought, lets try that again, bad idea:
Hooked up the battery, no problem... threw on the switch, heard a ticking sound and about 6 seconds later the gold contacts from my battery wires desoldered themselves and the 2.5qmm cable was f*cking hot. ESC heatsink was warm.

Opened the ESC and guess what, nothing to see but there was a definate burning smell from in between the 2 PCBs in the ESC (which you cant look between.

Has been sent in for repairs...
(but I must say, I've been driving it hard for a year and I've seen more sphere's smoke then GTB's)
Old 06-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

ok, maybe a dumb thing, but is the esc plugged into the correct channel???

Switch the servo and the esc connectors and see if the servo works with throttle / esc with steering...

If the esc works it was plugged in wrong/ receiver broke
If the servo works, esc not responding to an input signal...

But when going into setup mode, your GTB must show the lights!!

(Mine was fine as well, untill it went on the brakes!!! never noticed a thing and there was nothing to see on it)
I hope you havent got the same prob as me but it will prolly be a connector mixup or so...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

I'll double check them again when I get home but everything should be hooked up right. Car ran fine before and when I transfered everything to the new car I left it all plugged in.

Originally Posted by Quante
ok, maybe a dumb thing, but is the esc plugged into the correct channel???

Switch the servo and the esc connectors and see if the servo works with throttle / esc with steering...

If the esc works it was plugged in wrong/ receiver broke
If the servo works, esc not responding to an input signal...

But when going into setup mode, your GTB must show the lights!!

(Mine was fine as well, untill it went on the brakes!!! never noticed a thing and there was nothing to see on it)
I hope you havent got the same prob as me but it will prolly be a connector mixup or so...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Even if you think you have checked everything mentioned I would slowly and carefully go through the process again. Make sure the servo in plugged into channel 1 correctly and the speedo into channel 2. Bind the spektrum to the radio, then set all your radio settings to their max and set the speedo. Make sure that the throtle and the steering are both set to work properly (normal/reverse) Hopefully after a recheck everything works properly.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Ya I was sorta hoping I was just there was just some easy fix I was forgetting. But I guess after I do all that it will have to go back to Novak if it won't work. I've only used the darn thing once. I emailed Novak at [email protected] and it got returned...

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Even if you think you have checked everything mentioned I would slowly and carefully go through the process again. Make sure the servo in plugged into channel 1 correctly and the speedo into channel 2. Bind the spektrum to the radio, then set all your radio settings to their max and set the speedo. Make sure that the throtle and the steering are both set to work properly (normal/reverse) Hopefully after a recheck everything works properly.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
The Evicerator

Porche,

We have been having some on again, off again problems with our email filters here.

Try giving customer service a call at (949) 833-8873 and see if they can help you get pointed in the right direction.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by porschejim911
Ya I was sorta hoping I was just there was just some easy fix I was forgetting. But I guess after I do all that it will have to go back to Novak if it won't work. I've only used the darn thing once. I emailed Novak at [email protected] and it got returned...
Jim,

Don't let the filter thing bother you, yes it's a pain and yes they need to fix it but they give excellent and fast tech support.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Oh I am sure it will get fixed or whatever. Just sorta discouraging. I went to brushless to eliminate all the maintenance of brushed. Now the darn thing don't work after practicing only one day with it. I've had tons of brushed esc's and never had one break. Guess I should just be glad I still have my KO VFS-1. Thanks everyone for your help.

Originally Posted by swopemike
Jim,

Don't let the filter thing bother you, yes it's a pain and yes they need to fix it but they give excellent and fast tech support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.