Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya 1/10 TT02R 3S LiPo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Tamiya 1/10 TT02R 3S LiPo?

Hello! Can the Tamiya TT02R kit fit 3s LiPos without any modifications? I want to buy the kit but I don't think I will if it doesn't.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Yes, but I look for packs that are similar in length to the 2s hard packs that are commonly used,I even run a few 3s airplane soft packs on occasion! most under 4500 mah seem to work fine anything bigger gets tight!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This doesn't sound like a great idea. On 2s, with a 13.5, I've been breaking diffs on my TT02b.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Will it work if I upgrade my diffs? Also, can any kit fit 3s?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Any kit, can fit any battery you feel like throwing in it. Speed is about wattage. You can pump more watts with lower turn motors. Throw a 3.5 turn in most anything, and you'll have a very, very fast car.

Maybe you can upgrade the diffs, but that only handles the ring gears, the pinions frag too.

You're asking a lot of questions that makes me think you should aim a bit lower. What car do you have now?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I don't have a car. I am asking a lot of questions because I don't know that much about rc cars. I wanted this kit to be my first kit and, even though I know that getting a brushless engine (the reason I want a 3s) may be a bit overkill, I can't order parts from my country so I have to order from other countries in Europe. Also, I asked about other kits because I might buy a Turnigy TD10 v2 because it's cheaper.

Thanks for answering!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

So, "most of the world" runs their cars on 2s. That includes people running brushless setups. Don't try to do anything.. silly.. with your first model. A TT series car is a good place to start, the TD10 v2 is not.

Pick a TT02, or TT01e based kit, one of the onest hat comes with a motor and esc, and get building! The tamiya ESC that comes with the kits, will drive a brushless motor too, later.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Any kit, can fit any battery you feel like throwing in it.
That's not usually true, especially with budget Tamiya cars. They still sell a lot of cars that only take rounded batteries unless you modify the chassis.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
That's not usually true, especially with budget Tamiya cars. They still sell a lot of cars that only take rounded batteries unless you modify the chassis.
The TT02 will, the TT01... notsomuch.

OP, buy a roundcase LiPo. :-)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:54 AM
LJH
Tech Master

This doesn't sound like a great idea. On 2s, with a 13.5, I've been breaking diffs on my TT02b.
How many packs are you running before you see issues with the diff gears? I installed a 10.5 (Blinky ESC) and have about 10 full packs through it and no issues. I do run on a somewhat dusty tennis court which does not have a ton of traction so that may be saving me.

BTW, going from an old Novak 17.5 to the 10.5, even with short gearing, made a huge difference in performance and only killed my duration by about a minute. I could gear it much steeper with the gearing but it is pretty perfect right now and the motor only gets to about 100* so I am not pushing it at all.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noslynx
Hello! Can the Tamiya TT02R kit fit 3s LiPos without any modifications? I want to buy the kit but I don't think I will if it doesn't.
Absolutely, but only once.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LJH
How many packs are you running before you see issues with the diff gears? I installed a 10.5 (Blinky ESC) and have about 10 full packs through it and no issues. I do run on a somewhat dusty tennis court which does not have a ton of traction so that may be saving me.

BTW, going from an old Novak 17.5 to the 10.5, even with short gearing, made a huge difference in performance and only killed my duration by about a minute. I could gear it much steeper with the gearing but it is pretty perfect right now and the motor only gets to about 100* so I am not pushing it at all.

Cheers,
Jim
Sometimes more than one set per pack. At best, two or three packs. Mind, I am running green dot bar codes. On carpet, and astro turf, I rarely make it through a complete battery pack before something breaks in the gearboxes. On pavement, I'm ok, until braking. Under breaking is where I tend to break a pinion, or strip a ring gear. On dirt and grass, the car is fine. There's some self torque limiting on acceleration, as the front tires pick up, and then the back tires slip.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:04 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Sometimes more than one set per pack. At best, two or three packs. Mind, I am running green dot bar codes. On carpet, and astro turf, I rarely make it through a complete battery pack before something breaks in the gearboxes. On pavement, I'm ok, until braking. Under breaking is where I tend to break a pinion, or strip a ring gear. On dirt and grass, the car is fine. There's some self torque limiting on acceleration, as the front tires pick up, and then the back tires slip.
Did you shim your diffs?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-04-2018, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LJH
Did you shim your diffs?

Cheers,
Jim
Yup.