Wiki Posts
Search

3700's or 3800's

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

has anyone here used IB cells for more then 10 charges

I'm not a Pro racer that buys new cells for every meet so im after good cells that have a long life time with a slow drop in power

Ive bought GP3300 that are still taking over 3300mha after 6 months but the 8 packs of iB3600 only 1 pack is taking over 3600 and most ar around 2600 and these are only 4 months old

I found the version of IBs I bought great very punchy for about 4 to 10 charges then they went down hill very fast and 3 of my friends have found the same

my matcher tells me its me im wrecking the cells which is just fking BS I was doing all the right things with them I have a novak smarttray, futaba cdr-5000 a turbo35 and a cdc all 3 chargers have treated me GPs fine

now im only buying GP3700s which im getting faster laptimes and scoring the 18th lap of the pros on my track

the only thing good about IB's is they have made GP drop their pricing

and they make cheap practice packs
Old 09-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the_barbarian
I have both the GP 3700's and the IB 3800's.
My IB's are not that old but I have atleast 10 runs on them and they are performing very well. I believe they have an edge over the 37's and the up front power is awesome. I will be getting more thats for sure.
My matcher has told me that the new batch he's working on is even better.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

My matcher is better than yours!

IB3800's all the way!
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not a Pro racer that buys new cells for every meet so im after good cells that have a long life time with a slow drop in power
Why do people all over this site keep saying that pros are using the great stuff? I know more than a few guys on all levels of sponsorship, and none of them are using the best motors or batteries for club racing or trophy races.

1. Everybody but the Factory Team Pro Modified drivers pay for their cells and motors for weekly racing.

2. Matchers won't sell a guy their top packs just to have them use it to win a bowling trophy. They save those cells for National events.

3. Modified drivers likely use cheaper batteries than the club level stock racer. Why? Because modified doesn't need 1.18's, they need 440 second packs. And those packs don't cost big bucks like the 1.18s do.

4. Your not going to get beat by guys with stuff you can't buy. Only way that would happen is if you are racing at a National event and you arn't getting support from any company. But if that's true, then you probably aren't good enough to beat those guys anyways b/c they practice more, wrench more, and have better coordination than you, so they got noticed by a company that wants to let them run the "good stuff" and put their sticker on the body.

Can anybody back me up on this?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

For what it's worth... Many of my team drivers, as well as myself have ran both GP3700's as well as IB3800's on the track. Unfortunately, we have not tested them in every application.
I can attest to the results we've found in the applications we have tested: In stock and 19 turn Oval,(both 4 and 6 cell) the IB's are absolutely faster than the Gp's.
We'll see in Vegas what happens under extreme amp loads ie: sedan/mod, etc..

As far as being unbiased, I don't have a battery company nor do I match cells...

Regards,
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
518-452-0422
Old 09-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I see that Chris Tosolini is running 3800's at Vegas.... I should have plenty of time between races to see who is running what next week. I have a feeling I will see a lot of 3800's... I know I am running them
Old 09-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Chad alsmost all matchers offer top cells to the public as if they kept them all there would be to many to keep plus the company needs good feedback. I have seen many packs over the counter with great #'s for sale from us ,EA,SMC and many others.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tosolini & 3800s

Originally Posted by ottoman
I see that Chris Tosolini is running 3800's at Vegas.... I should have plenty of time between races to see who is running what next week. I have a feeling I will see a lot of 3800's... I know I am running them
Chris will run the new Infinite Power 3800 mAh cells. We are very impressed with the performance of these new cells and Chris will run them in Vegas next week. He will run in Touring Modified Foam, Touring Mod Rubber and 1/12 Mod.

Please visit www.infinite-power.net if you'de like to get more info about these new cells. These cells will definitely give serious competition to the GP3700s and IB3800s........

Andre
Pole Position Batteries
www.teampoleposition.com
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

IP, GP, IB

Let's start calling them:

Red cells, green cells, and blue cells. A little easier to remember (for those old guys)
Old 09-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Man could you imagin if Sanyo or Panasonic made some good new cells, there would be like 5 cell company's competing. Prices would hit the floor, it would be cheaper to buy 2 new packs a week then to fill your gas tank
Old 09-17-2005, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Danny, do the blue cells like to be deadshorted? How about the green's?

Last edited by ChadCapece; 09-18-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some have had good results with deadshorting the IB and others haven't so it's still up in the air. One thing we did notice is that they lose more runtime than GP when deadshorting. I think the extra upfront voltage and good runtime means they don't need to be deadshorted.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ive bought GP3300 that are still taking over 3300mha after 6 months but the 8 packs of iB3600 only 1 pack is taking over 3600 and most ar around 2600 and these are only 4 months old

I found the version of IBs I bought great very punchy for about 4 to 10 charges then they went down hill very fast and 3 of my friends have found the same

my matcher tells me its me im wrecking the cells which is just fking BS I was doing all the right things with them I have a novak smarttray, futaba cdr-5000 a turbo35 and a cdc all 3 chargers have treated me GPs fine

now im only buying GP3700s which im getting faster laptimes and scoring the 18th lap of the pros on my track

the only thing good about IB's is they have made GP drop their pricing

and they make cheap practice packs
i bought some of the first batch IB3800's that PM was selling back in July for my 12th scale. i bought 3 packs before PM pulled them due to a issue with them venting, losing runtime. etc. (Mostly Mod TC racers charging them at high amps with high threshold cutoffs) and after they pulled them from the website/quit selling them i had to contact PM/Erica direct, explain i wanted them for 12th only and because i go for runtime not voltage would be charging them at 4 amps. i then was sold the remaining 4 (4-cell packs they had). not a shameless plug, but there must be a second version/revised/improved batch of IB3800's because i heard tonight at our track PM is selling them again? if so, i'm sure the other matchers are getting them to, so issues must have been resolved. SMC has probably the best link with IB and would probably know what was fixed/improved, since they pioneered the introduction of IB's into the US before anyone including EPIC/TRINTIY

BTW...the GP3300 wasn't a perfect cell at first, there were 3-4 versions of this cell as it evolved.

back the the IB3800s...i kept 2 the remaining 5 ended up in the hands of fellow 1/12 racers.

my 2 (4-Cell) "first batch" packs each have over 30 charges each...no problems. i drive like a non-power conserving ape in 12th...no drop in R/T. no one else that got them in our split has had any issues. we all run them with mod motors

i never/don't use: after run pack dischargers, bulbs, equalizer trays, dead short trays, systems to crack internal crystals on any of my NIMH batteries for any of my cars including TC...whether GP3300, GP3700 or IB3800. in my opinion...kills runtime, voltage gain is negilible, decreases overall pack life.

i still have the rainbow 2nd gen GP3300's i bought at the end of 2003 that still make 5 Min runtime in a MOD TC with a 10T Orion V2 motor. some of the racers sometimes comment they couldn't get a good 5-min run with a stock motor after 4 months and can't beleive i still run them.

NIMH batteries are not NICADS, it amazes me when i see everyone going thru the NICAD rituals on NIMH cells.

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 09-17-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Post Correct Bob

I meant to say GP 3700s. The test is going on now.
4 - IB3800
4 - GP3800
Same discharge and monitoring conditions.
Findings coming shortly.
Bob, I'm running my old stuff with you. 3300s - Monsters all the way.
TEX
Old 09-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i run the first ib3600 so that makes them 8+months old. they are still good packs and have put me ahead of several guys with new gp3700. i did not DS them, and I use a rayspeed and equalize them and then condition them and then put them on the gfx. I charge at 6A and all six 4 cell packs still take 3800mah+. So I would say that they hold up. I think that my cells have fallen off alittle, but them what cells can take 8 months of use every weekend. and 2 regional races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.