Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet Nats Location (Wish List)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Not sure about that - sometimes they can barely run a race when all they have to do is run a race.
+1,
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Id love to see an event at the Mall of America. then you could perhaps get some legit TV coverage (mayhaps on NBCSN
Old 08-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

now tv coverage would be cool. maybe have leigh diffey, steve matchett and david hobbs do the announcing. that would be priceless.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i think a hotel event or mall event for nats would be very hard to pull off. unfortunately there isnt a 'huge' take away for the hosting track/club. with all of that risk... it is hard to do.

i for one just want to see a "big" event turnout again. maybe the racers or regional directors should be able to vote for the venues that bid for the race.

since we have people talking --- what is the best format? 4 day (thur-sun) or 3 day (fri-sun). i think the aggressive stock motor tech really throws a wrench into the entire program causing lines (until the magic handout ticket was invented by andrew) and just a bunch of fear/agony/heartace for racers.

i think a 3 day race + pre-sealed handout motors for stock would be ideal!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'd go back to Horsham for sure. Mostly for Wawa.
Tiny T's in Media......best hoagie ever!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

oh btw-- the reason for asking about # days is to help finish a bid
Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Xpress
Minnreg
+1
Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd love to have an excuse to go to Seattle! (Preferably during baseball season too) And I agree with Hanulec: 3 days is the perfect length for a "big" race.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Red Mosquito is a super nice place too! Mod cars on there may not be too fun to marshal though!!

When are you opening back up for the season Monti?

EA
Back at it Sept 1!

Monti
Old 08-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Default big loud public venue

One of the most memorable RC races that I ever had the pleasure to participate in was held at the Franklin Institute Science Museum, Philadelphia Pa. That race took place so many years ago that I don't recall which RC club organized the event, but somehow they sold the Institute's management on the idea that hosting a live RC car race at the science museum would provide a unique live exhibit experience. So a temporaty carpet track was set up in the middle of the Institute's large marble atrium area. The atrium was surrounded by large open marble stairways and a balcony above. The stairs and balcony provided excellent vantage points for the museum's visitors (mostly groups of young school kids) to observe the racing action. During the qualifiers and especially the mains, the kids would cheer enthusiasticly for their favorite car(s) and the accoustics of the atrium area only amplified their cheers. The excitement for both the racers and also for the crowd of kids watching was just electric. It was super fun to be a race participant because the usual rush of driving excitement was only heightened by all of the hooting and hollering from a hundred or more screaming kids. In my 25+ years of racing RC, that one race weekend at the Franklin Institute still ranks as one of my all time favorite events. I imagine that a mall could perhaps offer a similar type of intense RC experience......not to mention some good exposure......putting our hobby/sport on full display for folks who would otherwise probably never know that RC racing even existed.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vafactor
One of the most memorable RC races that I ever had the pleasure to participate in was held at the Franklin Institute Science Museum, Philadelphia Pa. That race took place so many years ago that I don't recall which RC club organized the event, but somehow they sold the Institute's management on the idea that hosting a live RC car race at the science museum would provide a unique live exhibit experience. So a temporaty carpet track was set up in the middle of the Institute's large marble atrium area. The atrium was surrounded by large open marble stairways and a balcony above. The stairs and balcony provided excellent vantage points for the museum's visitors (mostly groups of young school kids) to observe the racing action. During the qualifiers and especially the mains, the kids would cheer enthusiasticly for their favorite car(s) and the accoustics of the atrium area only amplified their cheers. The excitement for both the racers and also for the crowd of kids watching was just electric. It was super fun to be a race participant because the usual rush of driving excitement was only heightened by all of the hooting and hollering from a hundred or more screaming kids. In my 25+ years of racing RC, that one race weekend at the Franklin Institute still ranks as one of my all time favorite events. I imagine that a mall could perhaps offer a similar type of intense RC experience......not to mention some good exposure......putting our hobby/sport on full display for folks who would otherwise probably never know that RC racing even existed.
That sounds wicked awesome
Science, Tech, and RC go hand in hand
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Regional Moderator

In the past, NORCAR held carpet races at the Cleveland Auto Show in Feb/March. They draw over 100,000 people for the week. People were lined up 5 deep to watch the races.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
In the past, NORCAR held carpet races at the Cleveland Auto Show in Feb/March. They draw over 100,000 people for the week. People were lined up 5 deep to watch the races.
yeah, In the Washing DC area, there were a couple of years when one of the local hobby shops organized RC races to be conducted at the annual Rod and Custom Show. Much like the Franklin Institute race, it was great fun and extra thrilling to race in front of a large and enthusiastic audience. And it sure didn't hurt to showcase our model motorsports hobby in front of a gathering of car guys.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
i think a hotel event or mall event for nats would be very hard to pull off. unfortunately there isnt a 'huge' take away for the hosting track/club. with all of that risk... it is hard to do.

i for one just want to see a "big" event turnout again. maybe the racers or regional directors should be able to vote for the venues that bid for the race.

since we have people talking --- what is the best format? 4 day (thur-sun) or 3 day (fri-sun). i think the aggressive stock motor tech really throws a wrench into the entire program causing lines (until the magic handout ticket was invented by andrew) and just a bunch of fear/agony/heartace for racers.

Back in 1987 they had the 1/12th stock and mod ROAR Nationals at the Orlando Marriot. Pretty sure that was a club event and it was 3 days long. Rick H probably remembers better than I do. Those where the days of double letter mains.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec

Another thought I had after that race was assigning everyone a number before the race based on sign up order/paid entry. Gives incentive to get your entry in and there's no drama from lost tickets. The internet remembers for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.