Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Looks like Spec-R has a new motor mount/layshaft/ARS mount for the '15. Might be a nice option for lower grip or more even chassis flex.

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=739
Looks to me like it stiffens up the chassis at the rear, I'd say that's more of a high-grip option.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Looks like Spec-R has a new motor mount/layshaft/ARS mount for the '15. Might be a nice option for lower grip or more even chassis flex.

http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=739
Would've been nicer if they made it one piece, but it looks like a nice product regardless. I'm sure xray will have an optional motor mount available shortly.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpidarX
I have the same problem using the xray offset spur. Using the standard spur, everything lines up perfectly.
I use the offset spur gears and everything lines up OK and nothing touches or rubs on anything.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

During the weekend I was trying to work out a way of increasing my rear traction out of a corner, whilst not giving away too much steering.

It seemed that as I was coming onto the power from mid corner to corner exit, the back the slide sideways slightly instead of just pushing forwards.
This was running a Mod on carpet with Ride Rex30 tyres on low-medium grip.

Standard chassis and top deck, no layshaft screws but steering brace in.
Due to the rear being a bit loose mid corner I did run long rear wheelbase and 1.2 rear roll bar.
2.5-2.8 F and 2.6R 400 oil

I tried;
2.3-2.6 rear springs but this just seemed to make the car a bit too lazy
Dropping rear upper link to 1mm on the inside which helped with the 'looseness'

I assume that if I wanted more rear traction out of a corner I need to transfer more weight to the rear on power.
I didn't want to put 2.5 rear springs in as I was worried about losing too much steering and 2.7's are too much for the traction we have.
I also didn't try anti-dive and anti squat as I thought these would also prevent the weight transfer I was after.

Anyone have any advice as to what I could change/should have tried, or is it that I need to straighten the car up more before applying power?
I managed to get within 0.4s of Andy Moore's fastest lap despite all this but I wasn't consistent enough to keep putting those laps in.
Thanks
Skiddins
Old 01-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Skiddins: have you tried the 0*/1 hole rear hubs? I've used them to prevent the stepping out of the rear end without sacrificing steering in the past with good success.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Raise the inner rear camber link a tad.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Skiddins: have you tried the 0*/1 hole rear hubs? I've used them to prevent the stepping out of the rear end without sacrificing steering in the past with good success.
Haven't tried them on any of my Xray's for a few years but perhaps something to try (forgot I had them to be honest)
I thought they were mainly to try and gain corner speed?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
Raise the inner rear camber link a tad.
You mean take the upper-inner link to 2mm etc
Old 01-19-2015, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was fighting this just last week. After talking with a fellow racer I added more steering to the car, this made it so I wasn't full lock leaving the corner and as such didn't have such a dramatic impact when getting on throttle.

Easiest way to test is probably take some dual rate out of your radio and see if that cures the problem, then find some way (camber, etc...) to add some steering back.

I've also found that the lower arm plates in the rear make the car more planted exiting the corner.

Another thing I found locked the car in a bit, especially in transitions is the center top deck post.

Finally, sometimes this can happen because the car is dumping too much weight to the rear outside corner on power, you could try standing the rear shock up one, or a smaller change (from a ride stiffness perspective) would be to go to two hole rear arms and use the outside hole.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
I was fighting this just last week. After talking with a fellow racer I added more steering to the car, this made it so I wasn't full lock leaving the corner and as such didn't have such a dramatic impact when getting on throttle.

Easiest way to test is probably take some dual rate out of your radio and see if that cures the problem, then find some way (camber, etc...) to add some steering back.

I've also found that the lower arm plates in the rear make the car more planted exiting the corner.

Another thing I found locked the car in a bit, especially in transitions is the center top deck post.

Finally, sometimes this can happen because the car is dumping too much weight to the rear outside corner on power, you could try standing the rear shock up one, or a smaller change (from a ride stiffness perspective) would be to go to two hole rear arms and use the outside hole.
Interestingly I was running 2.5deg rear toe by the end, just so I could get the same amount of steering without using as much lock, though this was to prevent grip roll which was starting to effect other people.
I wasn't using 100% lock anywhere on track.

I did put the centre post in for the final, but couldn't really tell much difference, is any.
Haven't tried the arm braces so might try that next time.
Though at the last round I was running the graphite arms all round but I think they just reduce the grip a bit too much.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
You mean take the upper-inner link to 2mm etc
Take it up to whatever you've got it right now plus .5mm, then again a bit if things seem to be improving, as long as you don't create another problem.

Are your camber links now parallel with the lower arm? It would be a good idea to have the links point a bit down outwards. I'm thinking a bit of camber gain.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Raising the inner camber link lowers the roll centre - is that right?

....and that reduces the camber gain?

Net effect being the outer tyre is less vertical under cornering?

Last edited by cplus; 01-20-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cplus
Raising the inner camber link lowers the roll centre - is that right?

....and that reduces the camber gain?

Net effect being the outer tyre is less vertical under cornering?
Yes, but how much also depends on how stiff the springs etc are.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

And whether your lower arm is pointing down, horizontal or pointing up at normal ride height.

Raising or lowering the roll centre has nothing to do with camber gain. Any connection is indirect.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default ECS Shafts Causing Odd Handling?

So I installed a set of Reflex racing ECS shafts at the beginning of a normal race day..... I chased the cars poor handling for the entire practice session blaming low grip levels yada yada.... finally i went back to my standard setup which is essentially the kit setup with a few camber link shim changes and a 1mm shim between the steering block and link on the ARS system.

Basically the car felt totally disconnected from the track and would randomly snap over steer sometimes on corner entry sometimes on exit..

I didn't manage to finish a single qualifier as it was to dramatic to drive in close competition and I didn't want to cause more harm to others on the track.

Before the main I removed the ECS shafts and went back to the standard kit shafts and the car was a rocket I manged to bump from dead last in the C main to an overall finish for the day second in the A main.

I doubt others have seen this but does anyone have a clue what I am missing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.