R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #1606
Tech Elite
 
R Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioImmagina View Post
Well, i thougth that, with the 2016 model incoming, I could buy the 2015 for a good price 😌
For the time being, I don't intend to compete, just to have fun!
I see, then the '15 will do just fine.
__________________
★RCAmerica •Xray •Hudy •Motiv •PROTOform •Gravity •Avid •TQ Wire •Sanwa •BSR •ProLevelRC •2mmDesigns •Timmy •5Nines★
R Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #1607
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
I see, then the '15 will do just fine.
Is there any parts that need to be bought together with the kit? Some unavoidable spares?
What kind of wheels? Foam?
RioImmagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #1608
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,034
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I would get the same stuff.. mainly i would get a set of arms.. steering knuckles.. and castor blocks. maybe a spare spur gear.. couple pinion gears..
__________________
Daniel Grobe
----------------------
Sponsors:
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #1609
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioImmagina View Post
Hello,
I'm happily running offroad outdoor with my Xb8e. Now that the season is about to end, i would like to keep driving indoor. The only nearby indoor club available runs 1:10 touring e-cars.
I'm highly satisfied with my buggy hence I would stick to xray.
After some investigation, looks like that the T4 is a most valid platform. But, compared to offroad, I had the impression of extreme complication, especially in terms of choice of electronics, rules, range of performance and tires...
My question is, would be the T4 suitable for casual driving? I mean, I would like to keep the wrenching time down to minimum and avoid to look all over for a bunch of hop ups part needed to drive straight...
You can see the track at www.arcb.ch
Ha! You're across the lake from Neuchatel. Can't see the track itself though, resolution not good enough. Been around there, didn't find the hobby shops, but I know a very good Xray shop near Zurich (well, about 1/2 hour on the train). Shouldn't be a problem with spares for you. Much better than here where the closest shop is in HK.

The thing with TC is the grip. There's much more of it than in offroad. Hence a lot of problems. A motor makes a lot of difference, setup makes a lot of difference, a tyre makes a lot of difference and so on. Hence the many rules and constraints. Much more fun I would say. When things work, that is. Not so much when they don't.

You'll be fine with the T4. Not much spannering to do if you don't hit things much, and even then, Xray is perhaps the toughest car on the market. Most of the spannering is going to be setup (if you care). Not if you don't.

Have fun.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #1610
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,057
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4PJO View Post
#1. Yes to 2s
#2. Depends on your track size and such, I start around 3.80-3.90 FDR
#3. Hold on to your hat, they have lots of torque.
Ok, I just ordered the 1s. I am just stupid when it comes to gearing. What is the formula to use to determine the FDR? The car currently has 64P - 96T Spur on it.
Also what brand pinions do most of you use for 64P? Going off a recommendation of another member I was going to start with a 45T pinion. But I would like to know how to determine the actual ratio I am running too.
Thanks
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #1611
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Ha! You're across the lake from Neuchatel. Can't see the track itself though, resolution not good enough. Been around there, didn't find the hobby shops, but I know a very good Xray shop near Zurich (well, about 1/2 hour on the train). Shouldn't be a problem with spares for you. Much better than here where the closest shop is in HK.

The thing with TC is the grip. There's much more of it than in offroad. Hence a lot of problems. A motor makes a lot of difference, setup makes a lot of difference, a tyre makes a lot of difference and so on. Hence the many rules and constraints. Much more fun I would say. When things work, that is. Not so much when they don't.

You'll be fine with the T4. Not much spannering to do if you don't hit things much, and even then, Xray is perhaps the toughest car on the market. Most of the spannering is going to be setup (if you care). Not if you don't.

Have fun.
Thank you niznai, I didnt think to the traction as cause of such diversity. Now I see.
Indeed in offroad I still spend a lot of time in tuning and wrenching (I love the stuff, yet it's very time consuming) but finally differences are limited. I see good drivers rocking with old and cheap equipment and bad drivers with state of the art stuff still very slow.
No real problems for xray parts availability in CH. And sometimes it worth to buy even oversea. Which xray shop close to zurich you're talking about?
Btw you can see the track in the promo video of the club in the welcome page. Looks small but nice. I'd love an asphalt 1/8 track, but there isn't...
RioImmagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #1612
Tech Addict
 
KE4PJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Columbia,Tn.
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Ok, I just ordered the 1s. I am just stupid when it comes to gearing. What is the formula to use to determine the FDR? The car currently has 64P - 96T Spur on it.
Also what brand pinions do most of you use for 64P? Going off a recommendation of another member I was going to start with a 45T pinion. But I would like to know how to determine the actual ratio I am running too.
Thanks
Spur/pinion X drive ratio(1.9 for T4) = FDR
96/45=2.133 X 1.9= 4.0533
__________________
"If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you" Unknown
"A bad day racing is still better than a good day at work" Me
KE4PJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #1613
Tech Elite
 
R Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioImmagina View Post
Is there any parts that need to be bought together with the kit? Some unavoidable spares?
What kind of wheels? Foam?
So Daniel hit on some things that you should look into. Arms don't really break much. C-hubs and steering blocks are usually the only thing that break and that is generally not a common issue. The c-hubs come in the kit as medium, though you may want to consider getting hards as they are a little more durable. The steering blocks are already hard in the kit but some extras of those are good to have.

The only hop-up I'd really recommend are the ECS. I prefer Xray because they don't force you to use a 3mm wide bearing like some of the aftermarket options do. IMO the 3mm bearing fails too quickly, so I feel the Xray ECS is less maintenance. However, the Xray ECS is generally 2x the cost of aftermarket options which is 1 huge selling point for the aftermarket versions.

You may also consider picking up some of the optional springs (comes with 2.5 front and rear) and the graphite arms. The car can be competitive on any surface with these options.

Regarding tires, I would imagine that would be determined by what your track/club runs. Most likely a rubber tire and they may spec a specific brand & compound.
__________________
★RCAmerica •Xray •Hudy •Motiv •PROTOform •Gravity •Avid •TQ Wire •Sanwa •BSR •ProLevelRC •2mmDesigns •Timmy •5Nines★
R Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #1614
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,034
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

good point dodge.. i completly forgot about the ECS shafts.. that is the first thing i upgraded.. my bad on that..
__________________
Daniel Grobe
----------------------
Sponsors:
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #1615
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,034
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Ok, I just ordered the 1s. I am just stupid when it comes to gearing. What is the formula to use to determine the FDR? The car currently has 64P - 96T Spur on it.
Also what brand pinions do most of you use for 64P? Going off a recommendation of another member I was going to start with a 45T pinion. But I would like to know how to determine the actual ratio I am running too.
Thanks
there is an app on the google play store.. called RC Final GearRatio that i downloaded.. it has the T4 in there.. so all you do.. is put in your spur, and pinion.. and hit calculate.

the thing about finding the right FDR for each track.. usually.. i just see what other guys are running.. and get mine in that ballpark.
__________________
Daniel Grobe
----------------------
Sponsors:
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #1616
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,057
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
there is an app on the google play store.. called RC Final GearRatio that i downloaded.. it has the T4 in there.. so all you do.. is put in your spur, and pinion.. and hit calculate.

the thing about finding the right FDR for each track.. usually.. i just see what other guys are running.. and get mine in that ballpark.
I'll deff check put that app thanks. There was a description I had read for one of the 17.5 short stack motors that said gear ratio should be between 3.2-3.7??
One other question I have. I bought this t4 off a rct member ad I was just looking thru the manual and noticed that there are no C hubs on the car for the ARS... Do those come in the kit or do you have to buy those as option parts?
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #1617
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,034
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Those come in the kit. Little baggy of parts..
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #1618
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,057
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
Those come in the kit. Little baggy of parts..
Yea that's what I figured...
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #1619
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
So Daniel hit on some things that you should look into. Arms don't really break much. C-hubs and steering blocks are usually the only thing that break and that is generally not a common issue. The c-hubs come in the kit as medium, though you may want to consider getting hards as they are a little more durable. The steering blocks are already hard in the kit but some extras of those are good to have.

The only hop-up I'd really recommend are the ECS. I prefer Xray because they don't force you to use a 3mm wide bearing like some of the aftermarket options do. IMO the 3mm bearing fails too quickly, so I feel the Xray ECS is less maintenance. However, the Xray ECS is generally 2x the cost of aftermarket options which is 1 huge selling point for the aftermarket versions.

You may also consider picking up some of the optional springs (comes with 2.5 front and rear) and the graphite arms. The car can be competitive on any surface with these options.

Regarding tires, I would imagine that would be determined by what your track/club runs. Most likely a rubber tire and they may spec a specific brand & compound.
Thank you guys, you're being most helpful.
Question: what is an ECS?
Regarding the wheels... I've read worrysome reports of rubber wheels destroyed in one pack and alchemy treatment to gain some grip. That's why I ask. Foam tires are very cheap...
RioImmagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #1620
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,057
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Tryin to figure out a couple things.
1. What is the purpose of this spec r upper deck pivoting ball system. It was on the car when I got it. But it makes the op deck arched instead of flat. What's the purpose? More flex?
Attached Thumbnails
Xray t4'15-image.jpg  
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:06 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net