Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is there a touring car ESC w/ hv bec? for HV servo? >

Is there a touring car ESC w/ hv bec? for HV servo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a touring car ESC w/ hv bec? for HV servo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
A HV servo doesn't perform any better at 8.4v than it does at 7.4v. The stated 7.4v numbers are it's peak.

Your argument is invalid.
Care to explain that? Are you trying to say that running a servo at anything over 7.4v doesn't result in different performance (higher torque/faster transit)?

Find that very hard to believe. (does that make your arguement invalid as well?)

I do thing that HV in a TC is overkill but to each their own.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

I don't think its the ESC determines the voltage, more on the RX that distributes the voltage. And don't think its the voltage, 6v/7.4 are onlt the min/max voltage servo can draw. Better to look at amperage the servo takes. RX is more of your voltage regulator. My opinion.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geezatec
I don't think its the ESC determines the voltage, more on the RX that distributes the voltage. And don't think its the voltage, 6v/7.4 are onlt the min/max voltage servo can draw. Better to look at amperage the servo takes. RX is more of your voltage regulator. My opinion.
That is not correct unfortunately. The ESC is what determines the voltage that is passed on to the rest of the systems (when running off the built in BEC). The RX just acts as a command and control module to pass along the input and voltage but doesn't hamper it in any way.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mkiiina
That is not correct unfortunately. The ESC is what determines the voltage that is passed on to the rest of the systems (when running off the built in BEC). The RX just acts as a command and control module to pass along the input and voltage but doesn't hamper it in any way.
Thank for clarification. ESC(electronic speed control) does what suppose to do, motor speed control. I still think the RX controls the servos. Then do away with the RX. Run with ESC only, don't think so!! They don't make a ESC/rx yet, do they!!!???
Old 01-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Thank for clarification. ESC(electronic speed control) does what suppose to do, motor speed control. I still think the RX controls the servos. Then do away with the RX. Run with ESC only, don't think so!! They don't make a ESC/rx yet, do they!!!???
Common in smaller scales (look at the mini-z as a good example) and not as fun as you'd expect. Like futaba radios? Tough, this esc/rx combo only works with spektrum. Like savox servos? Ooops, can't use those as they need to have 4 wires to work with that esc that only works with Airtonics.

The current modular design is actually pretty good. The esc doesn't care what voltage it's fed (up to a point, some are only good up to a certain voltage and some will brown out below a certain point) or really where it's coming from.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

The RX controls the signal to the servo (white wire). I do not believe it limits or controls in any way the voltage (red wire) to the servo however. It is a constant, limited by the BEC. This is why when you add an aftermarket BEC they have you disconnect the red wire from esc to rx.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Umm the ESC puts out the voltage the BEC is set to give the RX. It passes threw the reciever and goes to the Servos. The RX doesn't control the voltage to the servos it just passes on what it gets. My 1/12th scale only passes on 3.7v to the servo cause that is all the battery will deliver (SANWA Super Vortex Zero with 3.7v Sanwa Servo) . My older 1/12th scale the ESC bumped up the voltage to 5.5 volts and that is what went the servo. There is no regulator in the RX.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
A HV servo doesn't perform any better at 8.4v than it does at 7.4v. The stated 7.4v numbers are it's peak.

Your argument is invalid.
physics says its not invalid.

Some servos can't handle more than 7.4V but those than can will perform better at higher voltages. Its a relatively simple relationship.

Feed a motor higher voltage it will either go faster or die. Simple as that. You can approximate it for the same motor (ideally) as apply double the voltage you'll double the no-load speed, double the torque, and quadruple the power.

Go do some testing of your own with a stop watch and a battery if you don't believe me. Report back the findings.

If the ESC has a BEC then yes, it determine the voltage. The rx just passes it through along with the servo signal. It's not a voltage regulator.

On my 1/5th scale set up, I feed the receiver off the battery pack (to power it up) but pass out signal only. My servos are fed direct from the battery receiving the full 8.4V.

Not all receivers can handle the higher voltage though.

Last edited by cplus; 01-20-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

SkyRc/Toro/Gforce TS120 is able to provide a 7.4V BEC... You also need the connection to a computer to activate it...

Check your RX before doing that...