Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Practices to extend the competative life of a rubber tire on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Default Practices to extend the competative life of a rubber tire on carpet

At the carpet track (low-med traction) I run at we are running Take-Off 22's or RP24's in the rear and Take-Off 27's/RP30's up front with TQ Orange traction compound. I can run a set of these tires in stock for a good while before they begin to fall off but I've been starting to run 19t this year and I'm going in for more all day practice sessions. I'm just curious what "voo-doo" magic seems to help rubber tires stay competative longer

Things that seem to help:
Integy "Tire Bags" seem to help keep moisture in the tires
Running a front diff (I'm usually faster with one at this track too!)

Things that might help but can't tell:
Rotation from right to left (can't do front to rear, running staggered tire compounds)

Things that don't work:
TQ Blue Tire Conditioner per label instructions (makes the car corner like crap for two runs then tires go back to feeling worn-out)

Things I'm gonna try:
Scuffing (running tires for two to three minutes then putting them away for a week...Now should I do this with traction compound or without?)

Questions:
Now are there an other setup tweaks I can make to give me some more tire life?

How are the life of ING Racing tires? I tried some once and the car pushed like a dump truck but I bet I could fix that (different inserts, setup)

Tamiya rubber any good?

Would running for 5 minutes, letting the tires cool down & then running the rest of my pack down help me get more tire life than just running until I dump?

Other general hints to help me maximize the general life of my equipment are welcome

Thanks
-Dan
Old 08-18-2005, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

When we have a carpet race at my area.Most of the drivers will use sorex 20R or Tamiya tpye A tires.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Most people at my track run RP30's or Sorex 28's, people have different opinions about both but the RP30's are my favorite tire for carpet rubber. When you run mod with rubber tires it's equal to about 3 runs of stock, and 1 19t run is about 2 runs in stock. They definetly wear quicker with faster classes, as does all of your equipment. I've been using TQ purple (our track doesn't allow Paragon, good thing too, that stuff reeks ) , not sure if it makes a difference in tire wear though.

A diff should help tires wear better, I've been running a spool when ever I can because it's been working better in my car and with my driving style.

Having less air gap or a thicker insert noticably decreases tire wear, although you loose forward grip and gain sidebite.

Running less camber on your tires I've found helps tires wear better, I like to set the camber so the tires wear evenly.

I never rotate the tires, very important not to do on asphalt, but not as much of a factor on carpet. But I still don't do it. If you do rotate your tires, only do it front to back and not left to right. I mark each tire in a set with LF, LR, RF, and RR so I know where they go.

Setting up your car so it doesn't slide is easier on the tires. I usually find a softer spring to decrease tire wear since less weight from weight transfer is transferred to the tires. This is easier to notice with foam tires.

When your car is pushing the front tires wear harder because they slide, it's much more noticable on asphalt, though.

I hope some of this helps.

edit: That's what I forgot... I clean my tires with WD40 after every run and right before I sauce them if the tires have been sitting for a few days. It helps remoisturize them.

Last edited by mini-dub; 08-18-2005 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Things that seem to help:
Integy "Tire Bags" seem to help keep moisture in the tires
Running a front diff (I'm usually faster with one at this track too!)
Storing tires in a snap seal bag with some WD40 sprayed on them seems to keep them very fresh. Just wipe them off and apply traction compund to them before you race or just the WD40 alone is pretty sticky, especially on new tires.

I have also heard that warming the tires up with tire warmers a few times before running them seems to ease tire wear a bit and some how conditions them, I haven't tried this but I have heard from many sources that it does help.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack2
Storing tires in a snap seal bag with some WD40 sprayed on them seems to keep them very fresh. Just wipe them off and apply traction compund to them before you race or just the WD40 alone is pretty sticky, especially on new tires.

I have also heard that warming the tires up with tire warmers a few times before running them seems to ease tire wear a bit and some how conditions them, I haven't tried this but I have heard from many sources that it does help.
I agree, WD40 does extend the life of the tires for an additional race day.
What I do I just clean the tires with WD40 every run.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default rubber tires

Heating rubber tires then cooling them makes them harder...Rubber has a certain number of heat cycles it can go through before it loses grip...Some due to drying out and some to the rubber getting harder.Try some of the stuff that the local racecar drivers use like track claw ..Dont pay for the undetectable stuff ...its the same just cant be detected by a sniffer..Some of the stuff actually changes the pores in the rubber...
Old 08-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Aaron: YGPM
Old 08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/acc19a.htm

I'm wondering how the Hot Lap Aerosol Tire Treatment stuff would work? They have Track Claw at this place too. It all costs more than R/C traction compound but I'm wondering if it'd be worth it.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mini-dub
I never rotate the tires, very important not to do on asphalt, but not as much of a factor on carpet. But I still don't do it. If you do rotate your tires, only do it front to back and not left to right. I mark each tire in a set with LF, LR, RF, and RR so I know where they go.

Why do you never rotate on asphalt?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It's something I was advised by some big guns not to do, and after more asphalt experiance it's something I stand by also. The tires wear differently on each corner of the car, when you change the location of the tire the wear pattern is different for the new wear on the tire. It's like the tire has to break in a second time. Like I said the wear pattern front to back is less different than the wear pattern right to left.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorex 28 for the front and Sorex 24s for the rear with Sorex A Firms for 19T and Sorex A Med for Stock. Mark them for each corner of the car and bag them between race days.