Wiki Posts
Search

New ESC, what should I choose ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Smile New ESC, what should I choose ?

Hi all.

I need a new esc for my Xray T4 14. I drive indoor carpet with a 17.5T motor with timing and boost.

I allready have an Hobbywing V3.1 and are looking for another brand as a second esc.

I don't need the pc setup option, but if it has that, then is just a benifits. I seeking an esc there are easy to manage, and there might have som pre programed functions for different kind of racing classes.

At the moment I a running a Novak Vulcan stock spec 17.5T motor, so It would be nice if the esc could read internal temp for that motor. And I am looking to mayby buying a ORCA or a Hobbywing V10 motor soon.

What will you surgest as a good esc, and what is good about your choice ?

Looking forward to hear your choice.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Hi all.

I need a new esc for my Xray T4 14. I drive indoor carpet with a 17.5T motor with timing and boost.

I allready have an Hobbywing V3.1 and are looking for another brand as a second esc.

I don't need the pc setup option, but if it has that, then is just a benifits. I seeking an esc there are easy to manage, and there might have som pre programed functions for different kind of racing classes.

At the moment I a running a Novak Vulcan stock spec 17.5T motor, so It would be nice if the esc could read internal temp for that motor. And I am looking to mayby buying a ORCA or a Hobbywing V10 motor soon.

What will you surgest as a good esc, and what is good about your choice ?

Looking forward to hear your choice.
A couple of guys at my track run the orca esc in blinky 17.5 and love it. I run the speed passion revention 1.1 and I like it better than my tekin. As for the motor you should check out team scream racing( really fast). Orca is also good the tsr motor isnt roar legal yet it is build correctly and sent into roar about 3 weeks ago. I ran orca I am now running a tsr.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

imo you cant go wrong with the team orion r10 pro,very similar to the hobby wing but i find it smoother with a tiny bit more punch than the hw
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

My orca spark is xtremely smooth . Has preset profiles for boosted application.
And is very small and cheap.
Tho it lacks just a little punch that its big brother has .
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I've got the ORCA VX1 and VXX and had a VX. They are really smooth and work awesome. We have tons of people locally switch over to them. Some guys even dropped their sponsorships with other companies so they could run them.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Why do you want another esc? I don't think the novak has a temp sensor so no esc will be able to log temps over a run if thats the case. IMHO you have one of the best esc's on the market.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Why do you want another esc? I don't think the novak has a temp sensor so no esc will be able to log temps over a run if thats the case. IMHO you have one of the best esc's on the market.
Just need another esc, and think the HB is very good, but mayby a little to complicated to set up proberly, and to many options. And also because I want to try and feel the different between two esc.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Odin544
I've got the ORCA VX1 and VXX and had a VX. They are really smooth and work awesome. We have tons of people locally switch over to them. Some guys even dropped their sponsorships with other companies so they could run them.
Is it easy to setup for a guy there is no tech expect in esc configuration ?

Which off these ORCA esc that you mentions, should I look at first ?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
Is it easy to setup for a guy there is no tech expect in esc configuration ?

Which off these ORCA esc that you mentions, should I look at first ?
Vxx
Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't fail to overlook the new Tekin stuff.

RS Gen2 and RS Spec.

The RS Spec is a good choice for price and offers all the features of the Gen2 RS such as Data logging, One touch programming(default profile is blinky), EZ port access for PC/Android programming, on-board diagnostics, etc. The only variance between the RS Spec and RS Gen2 is motor limit and the HV Bec.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Don't fail to overlook the new Tekin stuff.

RS Gen2 and RS Spec.

The RS Spec is a good choice for price and offers all the features of the Gen2 RS such as Data logging, One touch programming(default profile is blinky), EZ port access for PC/Android programming, on-board diagnostics, etc. The only variance between the RS Spec and RS Gen2 is motor limit and the HV Bec.
Unless the tekins have came a long way since the first gen. Then id suggest an orca if your budget is big enough. If not a slightly cheaper esc that would effective is the speed passion. I would definitely have gotten the orca if I had the money.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
imo you cant go wrong with the team orion r10 pro,very similar to the hobby wing but i find it smoother with a tiny bit more punch than the hw
+1 I had my r10's for more than two years and neither esc's haven't skipped a beat.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 is a solid ESC. Comes with a setup box, and you can make finer tuning adjustments by using their PC interface.

LRP FLOW Competition is a decent ESC.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The HW v3.1 and Orca VXX are basically the top two ESCs on the market.

IMO, get a second HW and a program box. Look into the v3.1 stock Spec.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Had an LRP Flow, but never liked the feel of the brakes, tried Speed Passion and had 2 let go in a weekend, now using the Orions and am pretty happy with them.

The Orca / V3.1 seem to have a lot of very similar or copies (Yeah racing Hackmoto?) and noone locally uses them, it's all LRP, Orion or Reventons here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.