R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 303
Smile New ESC, what should I choose ?

Hi all.

I need a new esc for my Xray T4 14. I drive indoor carpet with a 17.5T motor with timing and boost.

I allready have an Hobbywing V3.1 and are looking for another brand as a second esc.

I don't need the pc setup option, but if it has that, then is just a benifits. I seeking an esc there are easy to manage, and there might have som pre programed functions for different kind of racing classes.

At the moment I a running a Novak Vulcan stock spec 17.5T motor, so It would be nice if the esc could read internal temp for that motor. And I am looking to mayby buying a ORCA or a Hobbywing V10 motor soon.

What will you surgest as a good esc, and what is good about your choice ?

Looking forward to hear your choice.
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,115
Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
Hi all.

I need a new esc for my Xray T4 14. I drive indoor carpet with a 17.5T motor with timing and boost.

I allready have an Hobbywing V3.1 and are looking for another brand as a second esc.

I don't need the pc setup option, but if it has that, then is just a benifits. I seeking an esc there are easy to manage, and there might have som pre programed functions for different kind of racing classes.

At the moment I a running a Novak Vulcan stock spec 17.5T motor, so It would be nice if the esc could read internal temp for that motor. And I am looking to mayby buying a ORCA or a Hobbywing V10 motor soon.

What will you surgest as a good esc, and what is good about your choice ?

Looking forward to hear your choice.
A couple of guys at my track run the orca esc in blinky 17.5 and love it. I run the speed passion revention 1.1 and I like it better than my tekin. As for the motor you should check out team scream racing( really fast). Orca is also good the tsr motor isnt roar legal yet it is build correctly and sent into roar about 3 weeks ago. I ran orca I am now running a tsr.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

imo you cant go wrong with the team orion r10 pro,very similar to the hobby wing but i find it smoother with a tiny bit more punch than the hw
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,363
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

My orca spark is xtremely smooth . Has preset profiles for boosted application.
And is very small and cheap.
Tho it lacks just a little punch that its big brother has .
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

I've got the ORCA VX1 and VXX and had a VX. They are really smooth and work awesome. We have tons of people locally switch over to them. Some guys even dropped their sponsorships with other companies so they could run them.
__________________
Xray - ORCA - Avid RC - MaxFX Paint
TriCitiesRC.com
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
mkiiina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frisco TX
Posts: 2,337
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Why do you want another esc? I don't think the novak has a temp sensor so no esc will be able to log temps over a run if thats the case. IMHO you have one of the best esc's on the market.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Why do you want another esc? I don't think the novak has a temp sensor so no esc will be able to log temps over a run if thats the case. IMHO you have one of the best esc's on the market.
Just need another esc, and think the HB is very good, but mayby a little to complicated to set up proberly, and to many options. And also because I want to try and feel the different between two esc.
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
I've got the ORCA VX1 and VXX and had a VX. They are really smooth and work awesome. We have tons of people locally switch over to them. Some guys even dropped their sponsorships with other companies so they could run them.
Is it easy to setup for a guy there is no tech expect in esc configuration ?

Which off these ORCA esc that you mentions, should I look at first ?
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
Is it easy to setup for a guy there is no tech expect in esc configuration ?

Which off these ORCA esc that you mentions, should I look at first ?
Vxx
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,702
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

Don't fail to overlook the new Tekin stuff.

RS Gen2 and RS Spec.

The RS Spec is a good choice for price and offers all the features of the Gen2 RS such as Data logging, One touch programming(default profile is blinky), EZ port access for PC/Android programming, on-board diagnostics, etc. The only variance between the RS Spec and RS Gen2 is motor limit and the HV Bec.
__________________
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,115
Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Don't fail to overlook the new Tekin stuff.

RS Gen2 and RS Spec.

The RS Spec is a good choice for price and offers all the features of the Gen2 RS such as Data logging, One touch programming(default profile is blinky), EZ port access for PC/Android programming, on-board diagnostics, etc. The only variance between the RS Spec and RS Gen2 is motor limit and the HV Bec.
Unless the tekins have came a long way since the first gen. Then id suggest an orca if your budget is big enough. If not a slightly cheaper esc that would effective is the speed passion. I would definitely have gotten the orca if I had the money.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
BadPanda818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Camp Pendelton
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingthepack View Post
imo you cant go wrong with the team orion r10 pro,very similar to the hobby wing but i find it smoother with a tiny bit more punch than the hw
+1 I had my r10's for more than two years and neither esc's haven't skipped a beat.
__________________
Capricorn Lab TE-01 Orion R10 Pro, Orion VST2X 17.5, KO RSX One
Capricorn Lab TE-03 Orion R10.1, Fantom Ion V5, KO RSX One
Xray XB4 2017, Orion R10.1, Fantom FR-1 13.5, Protek 160T
Axial RR10 Bomber, MMP, Reline Pro4 4000Kv,Protek 150T
Futaba 4PKS R All sponsored by Visa
BadPanda818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,004
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 is a solid ESC. Comes with a setup box, and you can make finer tuning adjustments by using their PC interface.

LRP FLOW Competition is a decent ESC.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

The HW v3.1 and Orca VXX are basically the top two ESCs on the market.

IMO, get a second HW and a program box. Look into the v3.1 stock Spec.
__________________
Xray | Airtronics | R1Wurks LiPo | Hobbywing
hyujmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Tech Champion
 
nexxus's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 8,093
Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)
Default

Had an LRP Flow, but never liked the feel of the brakes, tried Speed Passion and had 2 let go in a weekend, now using the Orions and am pretty happy with them.

The Orca / V3.1 seem to have a lot of very similar or copies (Yeah racing Hackmoto?) and noone locally uses them, it's all LRP, Orion or Reventons here
__________________
A800 / A800X Awesomatix

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
esc


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net