Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Kraig,
Thanks. I just placed an order online with KT.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Default MVP / P2K / P2K2 / GM3

Hello Everyone.

good conversations on the motors. Like to shed a little light on this if I can.

The MVP is a great motor. There are fast guys on our track using them with the following set-ups. Red spring on Positive and Black/Green on Negative. 4088 Trinity brushes (don't need to break them in the com like them just as is). Must importantly, make sure that the hoods are aligned properly. If you can get your hands on some TRIBO, add 1/2 to 1 drop before each heat. The key to the TRIBO is to make sure your brushes have not been exposed to any other comm drops. It also works better on a freshly cut comm. Also if you use to TRIBO (On any motor) make sure your gear it up 1,2 teeth higher. If you get a big jim MVP and running a TC3 try 72 / 26. The motor will run cooler then a non big jim motor.
Also on the MVP's you want to be in the low to mid 7 FGR.

On the P2K2 - same thing as the MVP but I have to agree with a comment I read here, it's more efficient. From the factory the hoods are way off so you'll need to align them and also check the comm, I hear that it's out of round as well.

GM3 - man, I really didn't have any luck with mine so I wont post anything negative or positive about it, sorry.

P2K - at our last season race I purchased a brand new P2K, didn't open, didn't use it. I sent it straight to Big Jim. Tested it last month for the first time at the track, man this motor was on fire. I gear my TC3 at 6.69 (72/27), used 1 drop of TRIBO and went up to a 29 (6.23), the TC3 was on fast. My own opinion on these motors is that the P2K is still the motor that sets the bar as far as motors are concerned, again just my .02 cents.

Reedy is coming out with a new motor design, it's call the CO (Cobalt) and from what I hear it will raise the bar. Wont be out until May I believe but be on the look out.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi!
How fast is a stockmotor?? I mean in comparison to other winds. We currently run Touring Cars with 15 turns motors in them. My experience is that the difference in cost between 15 turns and 12 or 10 is minimal. The comm wear as fast, the motor is dependent on good batteries etc. We crank a lot of power from the 15 as well, on our small track a good 15 is almost as fast as the 10-12's.
Is it less expensive to run stock motors??

/TeeJay
Old 03-11-2002, 07:04 AM
Regional Moderator

If your wearing out the comms faster than a regular stock motor, yes it would be cheaper. What type of brushes are you using on that 15T (High silver I bet), that may be wearing your comm out quicker, but keep in mind that's normally the case with MOD motors.

On the Stock motors. If tweaked right, good set of batts, and gear correctly you can get a stock motor to gitty up.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

coolrcdad, yes I saw it. I sent it priority mail, you should see it in a couple of days. Let me/us know how they work. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2002, 09:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Mike F:
The brushes are high silver indeed... and I'm aware of that 15T is mod, hence a lot of wear on the comm......
How often do you true your comms on stock motors??
Is there anyone who have done a comparison between a 15T and stock(27T?) correctly geared etc... Is there a LOT of difference in punch and top speed or is it marginal??? The reason for asking is that we are thinking of changing to stock but we are used to 15T and the speed that comes with it.
What's the trick with stock?? Brushes??Springs?Gearing??
/TeeJay
Old 03-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Regional Moderator

No one at our track has tested this out but we don't run 15T either so it would be unfair for me to comment. On cutting the comm on the Stock motors, I have it cut ONLY when necessary. I have a P2K that i sent to bigjim motors to tweak for me. He polished the shaft on the ARM, polished the end bell, added some shims to the arm, tweaked the springs, aligned the hoods, zapped the magnets in the can, switched the brushes from 4499 to 767's, lubed it lightly with TRIBO. All this for only $22.00 (included shipping). you get a before and after print out of the motor. My RPM's where up slightly but my torques was up more. I probably have one of the fastest motors out there but you wont hear that from anyone else. The key to bigjim motors more power, more efficiency. Before every run I place half to 1 drop of TRIBO on the com. After the race I clean it out with motor spray, repeat the process before and after each race. If you use the TRIBO increase your pinion size by 1-2 T more and you'll be set. TRIBO is a synthetic oil that WONT hurt your comm or brushes. You WONT have to cut your comm as much either. There's a testimonial on bigjim's website and the guy states that he used TRIBO before every race, NEVER cleaned the motor, and ran it for about 19 races before he cut the comm. He did not notice any lost ing RPM or Torque.

Now I run a FTTC3 and before I got my P2K back from BigJim I was running a P2K pro, not tweaked. My gear ratio was around 6.6, 6.4. With my BigJim P2K I'm at 6.23. I'm going to switch out my standard 72T / 48 pitch spur for a 88T / 64 pitch spur and go around 6.29 (88/35). BigJim sells already tweaked motors, P2K and P2K2 for $50.00, MVP's for $38.00. His MVP's run cooler than your ordinary off the shelf MVP. He recomended that you keep the MVP around 6.92 to about 7.2. With one that you get off the shelf, you would have to gear it at about 7.2 - 7.5 to keep it cool and get the power out of it. The same thing with the P2K2 and the GM3.

On the 15T you have the ability to change the timing (I think you can on those motors?) so you can increase your RPM's as well as your Torque depending on the size of your track. Our stock racers are running about 20-22 laps, about 10-11 second laps. Our Open guys are running around 21-24 laps, about .09-.11 second laps so you see there's not that much difference here. We guys running 9x2, 8x3, we also have a lot of cars out there so we have alot of bang bangs going on .

What are you running, what type of car?

Did anything I said make any sense?
Old 03-11-2002, 11:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Mike F:
I'm running a Losi XXX-S. But I'm the only one with that car. The others runs Schumacher, Corally, HPI and AE TC3 of course. In sweden(where I live) we only race electric Touring Cars on carpet indoors. So when everybody chose what to drive this season(september or something) the XXX-S wasn't available here, thats why I'm alone with that car. It has been a lot of work trying to find a good setup all by my self. I hope there will be others with Losi's next year.
Thanks for all the information Mike, and yes it made sense!!!
Do you have to tweak the motor to be competitive??? With the current rules we have there is a lot of differences between motors. And the cost can be as much as a pro mod, but the rules states that you have to be prepared to sell the motor after the race for about $40.
Yes we can change the timing, but I haven't tested much with that, I have been busy testing stuff with the car.....
From your post it seems like the TRIBO stuff is really important. I'm not sure I can get it here, Ill look for it. Does other "comm drops" work???
What kind of run time can you get from a 2400 pack???
/TeeJay
Old 03-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Default MSRA

TeeJay when you get a chance go to the MSRA thread here on R/C tech.net and go to our General Discussion Thread. I'll get someone with a xxx-s to assist you with set-ups. That is a very competive kit out of the box.

You probably wont be able to find that TRIBO where you are. If you can get your hands on some Trinity comm drops, that will work but it wont protect the comm any. TRIBO works really well on a comm not treated with any other comm drops, better on a freshly cut comm (again no other comm drops used).

Do you have to tweak the motor to be competitive - not really, sometimes you get lucky and get a good one. The only change I would do is change the brushes. For the MVP get some 4088, no need to break them in they work great freshly installed. For the P2K, either get the 767's or stay with the 4499, red and green springs on both the MVP and the P2K. BigJim is trying something new with the brush combo, 766 on the Pos and 767 on the neg.

We have that same rule here about your motor being sold bt it's only at national events if I'm not mistaken
Old 03-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

hi mike f

Where could I get TRIBO online or lhs?

Thanks for the info very helpful.

I wanna try it next time I run practice.

Old 03-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Try here:

http://bigjimracing.topcities.com/
Old 03-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by acloco
Try here:

http://bigjimracing.topcities.com/
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

You can also get Tribo at www.kthobbies.com
Old 03-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Can someone explain how you go about aligning brush hoods, what tools are necessary, etc?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Mike F gave me some indication of how fast a stock motor is previosly in this thread. Anyone else that can give me some examples???
What I need is compareable conditions(tires, race lenght etc) exept for the motors that is....
So Mikes example was
Stock: 20-22 laps
Mod(9x2, 8x3): 21-24
about .09 - .11 difference/lap.

This would be very helpfull
Thanks

/TeeJay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.