Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt) >

Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Stock Sedan Under Siege? (Shaft vs Belt)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

All this "it's about the driver" doesn't really apply when you've got guys that have made the A main at large events with other cars immediately go significantly faster with the new car. It completely removes that from the equation.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Slighty off topic

17.5 stock is much more popular in the US than it is here in the UK, the most popular class here is 13.5 boosted. In the old days "stock" was a class of racing was to level the field while keeping the cost down. The Awseomatix has tilted that field somewhat and running 17.5 blinky is anying but cheap, you guys use batteries with huge capacities, not because you need it but becuase you need punch to remain constant thought the 5 mins, motors have the timings cranked way up and are geared even higher so motors life expectancy is not great.
The other end of the scale there is mod but there is only a finite speed that a car will travel around a track, in most cases the power availablity of a mod motor is more than you can use and batteries (even cheap ones) can deliver all you need, motors run cooler, last longer.

At one of the clubs I race the drivers elected to run 10.5 boosted instead of 13.5 boosted, not because they wanted to go faster but to keep motor costs down, I have not seen a motor smoke or a ESC thermal since the change while lap times remain broadly the same. I will concede that the drive train gets more abuse with a hotter motor and tyres get more wear but would argue that the overall racing cost is less.

So

Bb
Old 01-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys. Yes the Awsomatix is a great car but in the end remember "It is not
the arrow it's the Indian" Regards
Norman2
PS: This may not work if the Indian has a modern Compound Bow.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
All this "it's about the driver" doesn't really apply when you've got guys that have made the A main at large events with other cars immediately go significantly faster with the new car. It completely removes that from the equation.
Yes newer cars can make you quicker, as can cars that are easier to set-up. The thing is that its rare that its one specific car that comes out and dominates in all cases.

From what I've seen the Awesomatix is an excellent car, but on my limited experience from seeing it, it has not dominated in any way like the TC3 or TRF415 did in their day. But that may be because, unlike the other kits mentioned they cost twice as much so less people are racing them.

However, yes it will be a coup if a manufacturer really aims to make the ultimate stock chassis and creates a car that dominates.

I wonder what % of onroad TC drivers actually run mod?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by artwork
Ouch that hurts...are you saying that I suck?

I have been putting in time at the track you know!
Yikes, not what I meant at all

Based on Syn's post, was wondering if everyone up there, is on the shaft now, as apparently it is unlikely that a belt car can keep up ?

fwiw
Have not seen any one car outshine another in SoCal
Always comes down to driver/setup here
Having said that, Expert is mostly 13.5 not 17.5
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been waiting for a thread like this.

Car came out in 08 and was faster out of the box than everything but most racers couldn't get passed the stigma of shaft drive.

IMO modern day 2 belt cars are very efficient and the difference between shaft and belt is not going to make the difference.

The suspension is exceptional not only in performance but strenght and adjustability. So much better than C hubs.... But IMO the main advantage of this car has yet to be exploited.

If only the car was cheaper....
Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norman2
"It is not the arrow it's the Indian"

Old 01-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Awesomatix is pretty impressive to me. I have seen some very good improvement out of racers who switched. One guy went from an Evo5 shaft car to the Awesomatix, so it's not just the shaft.

I just wonder if the price point holds back it's popularity.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Norman2
Hi guys. Yes the Awsomatix is a great car but in the end remember "It is not the arrow it's the Indian"
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

I am lucky enough to see some of the East coasts fastest drivers battle it out every weekend.. Last weeks Roar race allowed me to watch three of the best, running the top three cars in 17.5 (Ae Xray and the Mig). It became scary apparent to me where the Amx has a good advantage (mid corner to exit speed). Any advantage gained by the Xray was gained immediately back on these sections of the track. It's not often you can actually see a car suck up one or two car lengths like that...but it was clearly happening.Do I think for the average racer it trumps solid driving and a good setup..no. Do I think if you have two compairable drivers that know how to wrench...its an advantange...um yea I think it just might be.

I am also lucky enough to have "Mr.Awsomatix usa" at the track..so I get to see all latest and greatest bits and pieces. I really love this car...but the pricing is keeping me away for now. Honestly, I am afraid of wrenching on the thing too. I am told it's easy to work on by my peers "once you get the hang of it"...but anyone that has been by my pit knows I am a bit of a mess and the car seems like it needs much more organization than I am accustomed to.

I would like to see a modern shaft car with more conventional suspension ( with todays advancements in suspension geometry and cg). Obviously at a price that is more reasonable. It would be fun to see if it's just the shaft or the other suspension dynamics that is making this this car work so well in 17.5.
Looking Fwd to seeing how it fairs at Snowbirds this year.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any vids on the race you just spoke of? What were the results?
I have to say.... Ive ordered one and looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
I am lucky enough to see some of the East coasts fastest drivers battle it out every weekend.. Last weeks Roar race allowed me to watch three of the best, running the top three cars in 17.5 (Ae Xray and the Mig). It became scary apparent to me where the Amx has a good advantage (mid corner to exit speed). Any advantage gained by the Xray was gained immediately back on these sections of the track. It's not often you can actually see a car suck up one or two car lengths like that...but it was clearly happening.Do I think for the average racer it trumps solid driving and a good setup..no. Do I think if you have two compairable drivers that know how to wrench...its an advantange...um yea I think it just might be.

I am also lucky enough to have "Mr.Awsomatix usa" at the track..so I get to see all latest and greatest bits and pieces. I really love this car...but the pricing is keeping me away for now. Honestly, I am afraid of wrenching on the thing too. I am told it's easy to work on by my peers "once you get the hang of it"...but anyone that has been by my pit knows I am a bit of a mess and the car seems like it needs much more organization than I am accustomed to.

I would like to see a modern shaft car with more conventional suspension ( with todays advancements in suspension geometry and cg). Obviously at a price that is more reasonable. It would be fun to see if it's just the shaft or the other suspension dynamics that is making this this car work so well in 17.5.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost

Didn't a Belt car TQ that event...
Old 01-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Tag
Didn't a Belt car TQ that event...
Yep.

*Edit...sorry for the short answer John (was putting kid to bed).
In fact it was the "old" T4 not the 2014.

In the end it came down to a tap.
It was a great race with guys who just have insane skill...lap times were super close.
The momentum gain was not just some off shoot comment...it was noticed by quite a few people (some who I consider great drivers).

I would love to have my hands on one for a few weekends "just to see" if the car can actually improve my results. I consider myself a slow fast guy...Sometimes making the A
or better yet finishing mid pack in the A ( I actually missed the show that weekend by less then a tenth). A tenth or two is all the difference in the world to me...where it's not so disastrous to a super fast guy (they can usually make it up).

Last edited by j.d.roost; 01-24-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So what makes the shaft car so much greater in the mid corner/exit than a belt driven car?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm still not convinced it's the car. It may not even be the driver. I think it might be the teamwork.

Of course, denial is not just a river in Egypt.

-Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.