Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traction Rolling - how to solve it

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know you're doing the real race car thing right now but I miss seeing ya at the races bud!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

I agree i believe in your set up workbench for the phone that it goes into explaining very very many things, and it is very helpful and I have learned A LOT of things, and i am very appreciative that you have made this app, i agree with the track with width suggestion, and so does your app somewhere in there it says something along the lines "to reduce traction rolling increase track width"
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
First thing I do on most of my cars is shim out the front / narrow the rear when traction rolling. I guess I should try a different approach! Thanks Martin

When will we finally get to meet you on the West Coast?
I have not been racing RC for the past year and a half as I started to race full sized cars. I have no RC gear anymore, so it is not really feasible to race rc right now. I do miss rc racing however, so I can't say never

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
martin I have your setup workbench on my phone and it is wonderful.
Thank you! It certainly was a lot more work than I expected to put it together, and I really don't make much money off of it, so it is awesome to hear that you get value out of it! Makes it worth while.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
I know you're doing the real race car thing right now but I miss seeing ya at the races bud!
Hey Buddy!! I miss the racing and the people I met over the many years. Also in RC car racing I could race at the top level in the world...never going to happen in full size car racing Also when I crashed during the last race this past season while trying to make an outside pass in corner 2 at mosport, it is not just my pride that gets hurt. I hit the tire barrier at about 150k kms flew up in the air and broke a couple of ribs in the process. Much less pain and cost when you wreck an RC car

Originally Posted by rc car guy
I agree i believe in your set up workbench for the phone that it goes into explaining very very many things, and it is very helpful and I have learned A LOT of things, and i am very appreciative that you have made this app, i agree with the track with width suggestion, and so does your app somewhere in there it says something along the lines "to reduce traction rolling increase track width"
Glad you enjoy the book. I actually have a version for the full size car racing as well.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Martin, good luck with the full scale racing.

I typically increase track width if possible then increase the roll center to reduce the amount of roll and adjust (soften) suspension to suit.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
.... Also when I crashed during the last race this past season while trying to make an outside pass in corner 2 at mosport, it is not just my pride that gets hurt. I hit the tire barrier at about 150k kms flew up in the air and broke a couple of ribs in the process. Much less pain and cost when you wreck an RC car
Ouch. Glad to hear you seem to be ok now and have a sense of humor about it !

....So.... what you are saying is, contrary to belief, traction rolls also occur in 1:1 cars too, its just that the tires involved in producing the traction roll are not the four on the car itself

Jake D.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Hi Martin, good luck with the full scale racing.

I typically increase track width if possible then increase the roll center to reduce the amount of roll and adjust (soften) suspension to suit.
I have tried that high roll center soft spring approach and found it actually made the car traction roll more because it does not allow the car to roll into the carpet enough and tends to jack itself up causing a traction roll. I found that softer springs and lower roll centers tend to work well. But there are so many variables you need to experiment to see what works.

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Ouch. Glad to hear you seem to be ok now and have a sense of humor about it !

....So.... what you are saying is, contrary to belief, traction rolls also occur in 1:1 cars too, its just that the tires involved in producing the traction roll are not the four on the car itself

Jake D.
LMAO LMAO !!! too funny!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a TC5 that really loves to traction roll. That is until I put two 10 gram, chassis weights just beside the front bulkhead. Can anyone explain to me the physics of why that resolved the problem?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Plus, I always hear about how it's best to avoid certain chassis because they flex too much and thus produce too much traction for medium to high grip carpet tracks. How come people don't just opt to run these cars, but go really light on the traction compound? So instead of doping for 10 minutes, why not just dope for 3 minutes and let the car's natural grip compensate for the reduction in rubber-delivered traction?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The physics involved is you dramaticaly lowered the center of gravity and altered the balance of your car. So with a given setup, the suspension had to work more to transfer the additional weight. Also that weight was added as low as possible thus making it harder for one side or the other to lift.

As basic as it can be described you changed the amount of force required to lift a weight on a simple lever with the fulcrum being the wheels.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
The physics involved is you dramaticaly lowered the center of gravity and altered the balance of your car. So with a given setup, the suspension had to work more to transfer the additional weight. Also that weight was added as low as possible thus making it harder for one side or the other to lift.

As basic as it can be described you changed the amount of force required to lift a weight on a simple lever with the fulcrum being the wheels.
Bravo, sir. I guess that's why they call you the professor. I won't hesitate to reach for the chassis weights in the future. My Xrays are just at the minimum weight, so the idea of adding a little more weight isn't too off-putting.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

Sorry to hear about your accident Martin.... Real Car races are too dangerous for my liking, and I drive too many cars anyway(100+ per day for the last 18years).... Rc works way better... Hope you'll Rc race again...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
I have tried that high roll center soft spring approach and found it actually made the car traction roll more because it does not allow the car to roll into the carpet enough and tends to jack itself up causing a traction roll. I found that softer springs and lower roll centers tend to work well. But there are so many variables you need to experiment to see what works.
Fair enough, this was on high grip asphalt perhaps carpet surface responds differently.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How about ca gluing the sidewalls. Never do it off the bat, but once my car starts to feel a little tippy, this is my first fix.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I too have your app on my iPhone. I couldn't find it for a while for some reason but glad its back now!! Brilliant app and for the amount of info within is very cheap... Thanks also for the blog entries which are very helpful reads!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.