T.O.P Sabre S4 190mm Touring Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P Sabre S4 190mm Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the quick reply Alex. I'll send Rod an email next week and see how I go. Sold all my serpent stuff and coming over to TOP. Want to buy the rebel F1 as well. All looks like quality stuff.

Regards, Andrew
Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

I must ask is there a reason why the S4 never took off? It seem like a great chassis plus for the price you can't beat it. Also does anyone have a baseline carpet 17.5 set-up
Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all. Finally retired my EX and Moved over to the S4. I'm so impressed with this car. Straight out of the box and it already feels better. I started with the standard setup that came with the manual and went from there. With slightly softer front springs (324) and 274 at the rear the car was really dialled on our high temp and dusty low traction) tracks here in Malaysia. I find it easier to drive than the old EX as it's a lot more forgiving on the track. Setup changes are very noticeable and I think this is finally a TOP car that runs better with softer springs than the old Photon and the EX.

My only complaints about this car - I think the carbon parts are a little fragile as I broke a top deck when I hit a stray car that jumped track. I've never broken a top deck before so this was a first for me. Also when running blinky, the flex motor mount limits the size of pinion you can use. Bummer really. Luckily in the Malaysian nationals we're ow running 13.5'blinky instead of 17.5 as we ran last year, so I don't need ridiculously large pinions.

Plus points - steering rack is just superb. Virtually no slop in it. Loads of steering. Front spool is aluminium and very slick. Quality of parts is just superb despite the price of the kit. Out drives on the gear diff seem to be made of a different material and so far show no signs of wear. Shock towers are incredible thick and sturdy. Split suspension blocks make it easy to change rear toe easily with the optional 0.5 degree offset blocks.

I was completely wrong in thinking that this was a lesser car than the EX just because it was a whole lot cheaper. In fact, this is hands down the best TOP car I've driven to date. Will report more as it happens in the next few weeks...
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone have tips for EX / Sabre S4 gear diff?
mine is always leaking in the right side and little bit in the left.i try many many way to make it stop leaking..no solution.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
mine is always leaking in the right side and little bit in the left.i try many many way to make it stop leaking..no solution.
replace it with a yokomo one from the bd5/bd7 ( direct fit ) just make sure you shim it properly side to side, & you will need the yokomo blades for the drive shafts
Old 09-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Yokomo diff doesn't fit the Sabre due to the different width in diff mounts now.

TOP just released a new o-ring kit for the diffs, part number is PP-GDRS01, these are much better than the black kit ones.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Easiest solution - soak your o-rings in wd40 for a few hours and then install them in the diff. The wd40 causes the o-rings to swell a little. They seal better after that. Give it a shot.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kid TT-01
Yokomo diff doesn't fit the Sabre due to the different width in diff mounts now.

TOP just released a new o-ring kit for the diffs, part number is PP-GDRS01, these are much better than the black kit ones.
ok sorry my bad
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Ok since no one answered my question! I will ask it again how does this chassis compare to a tc6.2 or a Durango?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys.i'll try it this weekend.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer034life
Ok since no one answered my question! I will ask it again how does this chassis compare to a tc6.2 or a Durango?
Sorry..dont have any experience with tc6.2 or durango
Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer034life
What class will you be racing?

I rate it higher than both those. Ive raced it here in Australia and have had great results with it all around Australia.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does the Sabre replace the Photon EX?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

That's a very legitimate question, one I've been asking myself and IMHO if you find yourself asking this, it means the brand has done a terrible job in marketing their line-up. Basically they keep selling the EX kit BUT they release a more modern-looking Sabre S4 BUT it's cheaper BUT you hear people saying it's because the materials are not as expensive BUT people say the car is awesome etc... WTF ?

Similar things could be said about their rebel 12, the car is like 4 years old and still no update BUT you got people telling you it's the bee's knees etc...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

The Sabre S4 works very well

http://www.redrc.net/2014/10/soren-b...d1/#more-87725

http://top-racing.jp/Eng+JP/Index/ne...%20Rd1_jp.html

And some older news:
http://top-racing.jp/Eng+JP/Index/ne...nships_JP.html

A great car for a very low price
Have fun at the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.