Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mikel33
I'll be honest, after watching the race this weekend with Rick and the others I think the foams are the way to go, at least on carpet. Perhaps outlaw truing them down past some meaningful diameter.
X2 That's why I bought one.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I can't believe I have not seen this thread since it started. I have an older Tamiya with a Castrol Jag GTP mounted and gold / chrome basket weave wheels with rubber tires .. Not that it will ever leave the display case.

But, I'm looking at doing a 200mm Darkside WGT car. Would the old ProtoForm GT1 body that was re-issued as the Mulsane be acceptable? I think I still have a few if these.

Howard / Rick pm me with what you are thinking for wheels / tires for foam and rubber. Still have many Road Wizards and parts.

Mark
Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
IBut, I'm looking at doing a 200mm Darkside WGT car. Would the old ProtoForm GT1 body that was re-issued as the Mulsane be acceptable? I think I still have a few if these.

Howard / Rick pm me with what you are thinking for wheels / tires for foam and rubber. Still have many Road Wizards and parts.

Mark
We should add the Mulsanne to the list. It's not currently in production, but Protoform might be tempted to do another run if it were. It's very pretty!

The tires might be a tight fit under it, as it seemed to be designed for cut-down foams on the front, and narrow rears (narrower than WGT, anyway).

There's an unpainted Mulsanne buried in my closet if you need/want it.

Originally Posted by mikel33
I'll be honest, after watching the race this weekend with Rick and the others I think the foams are the way to go, at least on carpet. Perhaps outlaw truing them down past some meaningful diameter.
I also would prefer foam tires, and the Speed Passion tires would be a good choice for spec at $30 for a pair. As far as I know, proper (read belted) rubber tires don't currently exist. But the decision is Rick's, and I'll support whatever that is.

We had talked about minimum foam tire diameters in the previous threads, but that still doesn't prevent someone from cutting a new set down to whatever the minimum is. I wouldn't do that myself, as I won't be running for the win. But I understand Rick's reasoning to try and prevent it. FYI, LMP2 cars have tires of about 23" O.D., so 2.3" minimum might be a good number.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just don't permit cutting the tires at all.
The one thing you may do them is rounding off the side walls and apply tire saucing.
If some one has to true the tires because of damage to them, then let some one of the tech inspectors overview it so no one will cut them to a minimum.

Regards Roy
Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Just don't permit cutting the tires at all.
The one thing you may do them is rounding off the side walls and apply tire saucing.
If some one has to true the tires because of damage to them, then let some one of the tech inspectors overview it so no one will cut them to a minimum.

Regards Roy
If no truing is permitted, then it won't be possible to correct any coning that occurs. But I can live with that (mostly because I'm lazy!).

Or one could flip the front tires/rims to prevent coning, but I haven't yet received the SP fronts to verify that it's possible.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Set camber to the right amount and coning is gone for the most part.
I am running 2.5 degrees camber when running outside on the big nitro tracks with my 200MM or 235MM Pro10.

Regards Roy

Originally Posted by howardcano
If no truing is permitted, then it won't be possible to correct any coning that occurs. But I can live with that (mostly because I'm lazy!).

Or one could flip the front tires/rims to prevent coning, but I haven't yet received the SP fronts to verify that it's possible.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here are my personal thoughts, take them for what they are, an opinion as a DRIVER.

Someone/body had to take the lead as an emerging class. Rick and Rob have done that and come up with a base set of rules or guidelines. The class overall has the potential for massive and rapid growth as folks switch from the super fast hard to handle sedans to more realistic, recognizable toy cars.

I would prefer the SP LM1 stay on foam for a number of reasons, ease of the drive being #1. Low maintenance after the initial "shake down" runs and durability.

Where else can someone buy a complete kit with body, chassis and tires for $200? (not including an M-Chassis).

Run the ride height at 4mm to discourage massive and needles tire truing and keep the scale looks.

Has anyone tried a WGT, on spec foams, in 1s 13.5, with a Lemans style body yet? That may be a better option for WGT owner's who would like to play in a Lemans type class.

Where right now, is the largest concentration of these cars?

I am willing to do this, and gamble much like I did some other classes, some worked and some didn't. 1 Saturday a month, will be "Lemans Day". Free for LMP drivers to gather, test, tune and share ideas and thoughts, much like when VTA was a fledgling upstart.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Has anyone tried a WGT, on spec foams, in 1s 13.5, with a Lemans style body yet? That may be a better option for WGT owner's who would like to play in a Lemans type class.
Yup! Loads of fun, looks cool, cheap as heck. SpeedMerchant WGT with RJ Speed Porsche 962, BMI DB10 with Protoform Mulsanne.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Went with a WGT chassis(10R5 with lipokit), Porsche 962 body, 40sh front,35sh rear 10.5 boosted 2S(2x 1S) on a asfalt track.
Now theres some fun
Forgot also i have run the Rivall body on same car.
It is a lot trickier tho.
This due to the lesser downforce on the rear or me not using softer tires

Regards Roy
Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by howardcano
If you have adjustable camber, adjust it so the tyre wears flat. If the tyre is coning the camber isn't set correctly.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Lol Terry....2 minds alike

Regards Roy

Originally Posted by terry.sc
If you have adjustable camber, adjust it so the tyre wears flat. If the tyre is coning the camber isn't set correctly.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by terry.sc
I have driven on some tracks where the traction is so high that that isn't possible. The coning occurs no matter the camber setting, as the inside wheel will lift off the track. In this case, the car handles better if I just re-true the tire.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm building one of my WGT cars like the guys have above. I understand the thinking for the rubber tires... I disagree it will solve the tire cost. I see TC guys going to fresh tires every other run at big races to get that 0.2 sec a lap they lose after three runs. Add to that the hassle of glueing and re-glueing the tires (even pre-mounts) . I can get a weekend out of a set at the Indoor Champs and 3 weeks from a set at normal club races and practice days by rotation and starting them at 2.08"... When those get to 2.02" ...I put them in a bag to use at big races.

I do hope the class takes off and turns into something cool. I believe it would be fun to watch.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

@Howard.....Correct me if i am wrong but isn't the side to side dampening(springs also) to soft if you keep lifting the inside wheel??
When running the 235MM pro10 cars, we don't get it.
Not even the mod guys from what i have seen and those cars are beasts with there 4.5 motors

Regards Roy
Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
...I would prefer the SP LM1 stay on foam for a number of reasons, ease of the drive being #1. Low maintenance after the initial "shake down" runs and durability...

...Has anyone tried a WGT, on spec foams, in 1s 13.5, with a Lemans style body yet? That may be a better option for WGT owner's who would like to play in a Lemans type class...
In my opinion the only problem with foam tires is if there is a drastic speed/handling difference between a fresh set and a set that has been run down close to the rim. I know the rules mandate a minimum but with a local club respect that? Probably not, I've never seen my local club tech/inspect anything. So in that respect I would welcome in rubber tires.

Sure I am honorable but I wouldn't trust anyone else!

As for the WGT comment; I think the new body from Team Muso LM-P is pretty great for those guys that want to convert. The question being; can they run the Speed Passion tires under that body? If not, how different is a car running the Speed Passion tires vs running the Spec WGT tires (with color band)?

I think the best thing for this class is the rules of USLMP and having a spec rubber tire. I think a rubber tire evens out the chassis way more then a spec foam tire does due to the lower grip levels.

If there becomes too much disparity in speeds between a converted WGT and LM-1's whether due to allowing 1S 13.5 vs 2S 21.5 or tire choice then run it as a break out class at a time that is attainable by both cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.