Search
Like Tree3Likes

Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glennhl
This is a photo from the TC5/TC4 arm conversion done by WTCC posted earlier in this thread. I copied it pretty closely, however, Sean Cochran just posted in another thread that you must plug and redrill shock holes on the TC5 front arms. Looking at the photos, it looks like WTCC did not do this, he used the stock inside shock mounting hole on the TC5 stock arm. That's what I did. Will I have an issue with this?
No I didn't.
I drilled a hole in the middle between the two original ones
Old 01-16-2016, 05:24 AM
jpx
Tech Adept

First, I always thought when you lay down a shock it's effect it to make the spring softer, but you state that it would make it stiffer. I'm confused, I thought the straighter the shock up and down the stiffer it is. If your spring say yields a force of X pounds when compressed, if the shock is laid down say at a 45 degree angle, then the affect on the suspension piece is only .707X (1 over the square root of 2). If the shock is straight up and down, then the affect on the suspension piece is 1X (full amount).
You're right with this.
But additional to that, the force on the shock depends on where the shock is mounted on the lower arm.
If you use the inner hole, the force acting on the shock is smaller than when using a hole located more outside. This is because the lever arm from the tire to the mounting position is longer and therefore you need a smaller force on the tire to compress the spring compared to using the outer hole.
So as long as you lay down the shock by changing the mounting position on the shock tower, your arguments are absolutely correct!
Changing the mounting position on the arm you have to consider the different lever arm.
Additionally to that, a shock more layed down will have a more progressive behaviour (soft to harder) when beeing compressed.
A shock which stands more upright will have a more linear behaviour.

Last edited by jpx; 01-16-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpx
You're right with this.
But additional to that, the force on the shock depends on where the shock is mounted on the lower arm.
If you use the inner hole, the force acting on the shock is smaller than when using a hole located more outside. This is because the lever arm from the tire to the mounting position is longer and therefore you need a smaller force on the tire to compress the spring compared to using the outer hole.
So as long as you lay down the shock by changing the mounting position on the shock tower, your arguments are absolutely correct!
Changing the mounting position on the arm you have to consider the different lever arm.
Additionally to that, a shock more layed down will have a more progressive behaviour (soft to harder) when beeing compressed.
A shock which stands more upright will have a more linear behaviour.
Oh darn I forgot about the lever. You and Sean are right. Lay it down by moving top mount works the way I described. But moving out the bottom mount does stiffen the car. Thank you guys for explaining this to me. Once more this is why this forum is so good!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

OK, ran my TC6.2 with the TC4/TC5 arm mod. Was it worth it? I'd say yes. I ran the same laps as last week, but there are too many variables in that, what really tells the improvement are your best times. I was consistently quicker and my fast lap was .27 seconds faster than last week. And as a baseline, I run another TC6.2 in a similar class and I ran the same number of laps as last week, but my quick time was actually a tenth slower.

Car seemed to have overall better grip in the sweeper and in fact, all corners. I will modify my other TC6.2 this coming week. Again, thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wtcc
No I didn't.
I drilled a hole in the middle between the two original ones
Excellent idea!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

OK, I went ahead and modified my second TC6.2. Didn't take too long. But I also have two TC6.1 Worlds cars. Can I do the same mod to these cars? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

OK, two questions....

1) How do I adjust the TC6.2 Belt Tensioner that mounts to the top plate (ASC31639). No instructions came with the kit. I just had to assume that the small washers went to the outside of the 2 bearings. And how do you adjust it, do you move it down so it just touches the belt?

2) Can I do the TC4/TC5 arm mod to my older TC6.1 Worlds car? I would think I would use the offset arm mounts in the rear along with some spacers to increase the rear track width. Then in the front, I assume I will use the standard arm mounts (no offset). What do you guys think? Has anyone done this mod to a TC6.1 Worlds?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 01-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

OK, two questions....

1) How do I adjust the TC6.2 Belt Tensioner that mounts to the top plate (ASC31639). No instructions came with the kit. I just had to assume that the small washers went to the outside of the 2 bearings. And how do you adjust it, do you move it down so it just touches the belt?

2) Can I do the TC4/TC5 arm mod to my older TC6.1 Worlds car? I would think I would use the offset arm mounts in the rear along with some spacers to increase the rear track width. Then in the front, I assume I will use the standard arm mounts (no offset). What do you guys think? Has anyone done this mod to a TC6.1 Worlds?

Thanks,
Glenn
Yup... you got it.
It isn't really used as a tensioner. It's more like a stabilizer for the front belt.Just adjust it down till in touches the belt under forward tension.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

I thought I'd share this with you guys in case anyone is interested. Lundsford makes a Titanium hinge pin set for the TC5. It turns out that they are a direct replacement for the stock hinge pins for the TC6 through the TC6.2. They are lighter, stronger and more precise than the stock pins. Unfortunately Lundsford was unaware that they were compatible with the new cars and thus didn't update their packaging and web store description.
I bought the last set however, after contacting them, they are still willing to make these kits if costumers are willing to buy them. I have been using these pins for the last 3 years and I have to say that they are still a great reflection of the Lundsford quality we have grown accustom to. Let them know we still want support for the AE TC lineup.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-img_0497-800x600-.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

YoDog,
How much are the Lunsfords Pins?

Associated guys,
What do you think about doing the TC4/TC5 arm mod on a TC6.1 Worlds car?
Old 01-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

YoDog,
How much are the Lunsfords Pins?

Associated guys,
What do you think about doing the TC4/TC5 arm mod on a TC6.1 Worlds car?
About $15
it remains to be seen if the arm mod will be effective for the 6.1 as the arm hangers are in different locations. the pins are the same though...
Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

here at Thunder RC Raceway we held the THUNDER JAM VIII on the new CRC black carpet. Super high bite and very consistent. I changed a lot on all 3 of my TC6.2's from my normal setup to eliminate traction roll...

I know we are getting ready for the TC7, but Im sure there are plenty of TC6.2's needing a good setup for the new carpet
Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

OK, what do people do under the Lipo battery on the TC6.2. Do you use the electrical tape trick (as shown on petitrc) or do you put body protection film under the battery or do you do nothing?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:09 AM
jpx
Tech Adept

OK, what do people do under the Lipo battery on the TC6.2. Do you use the electrical tape trick (as shown on petitrc) or do you put body protection film under the battery or do you do nothing?
The big Associated sticker!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Jupp, just some stickers or black vinyl to prevent scratches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.