Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

just got my kits. haven't cracked the bags yet but pretty impressed with the visual quality of the parts so far. the aluminum bits look stunning and the cf is top notch. excited to build one of them. wont build the second one for a little bit as i wont likely get to run mod until march, assuming im allowed to go to wcics/hanger30 for the race.
hobbywing/reedy mach2 system is going to look pretty evil in this car
Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
just got my kits. haven't cracked the bags yet but pretty impressed with the visual quality of the parts so far. the aluminum bits look stunning and the cf is top notch. excited to build one of them. wont build the second one for a little bit as i wont likely get to run mod until march, assuming im allowed to go to wcics/hanger30 for the race.
hobbywing/reedy mach2 system is going to look pretty evil in this car
This is similar to our setup, except we have the Hobbywing ESC and motor. It's definitely a great looking setup.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

my only complaint so far is those gawd awful m1.5 eclips in the shock. otherwise car goes together nice and smooth. i know the chassis is cut for allowing battery on the other side, but the top plate is countersunk to only install one way.. not sure if that was considered or not. not that ill be using the other battery location ever, just saying.

sure is a nice looking car.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

looks so good naked i almost dont wanna put my crap in it lol...

the associated thrust seemed to work just fine, sits nearly flush to the end of the axle thread. probably not ideal but couldnt be any worse than the stock plastic thrust nut. I did find the front upper arms to fit a little tight with the shims. if i care enough and it doesnt loosten up after being run, i might shave a tiny bit off the arms to free it up. might change the ballcups to tamiya .these ones seem like they might pop off quite easily.
otherwise cant really complain. $50 less than an associated, all the benefits and from what i can tell so far, none of the drawbacks. except for maybe the proprietary center shock spring size.
I might look at keeping my associated car and swapping the guts of this to the pan of that for outdoor use.

now i really want a d06.. but have to investigate priorities. i need to rebuild a bunch of my NT1 and its to the degree im considering replacing it with something else. come on vbc, nitro onroad please!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

I should be able to run mine for the 1st time tomorrow. Fingers crossed the roads are not iced up in the am.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, I have just started my build, first 12th scale. Valk, is that a savox servo you are using? If so which one, if not which servo do people recommend.
Alan
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

its a sh1250mg which isnt specifically specified for 12th scale but ive been using it for three years now. it doesnt actually fit any of the servo hardpoints. i have it in with shoegoo and one of the outermost servo mounts.
but with the shoegoo it isnt going anywhere.

common servo choices include jr 3650 futaba 9650 and there is a tiny airtronics people use in crc cars. i have an airtronics 94145 going into the second car which is kind of old by todays standards but performs great. not sure the updates to it.

working on my second car as i write this. built the front end and shock/dif last night. all the fiddly shit out of the way as i had to pick up ca today. just about to start screwing bits to the cf bits. both cars will get their maidens tommorrow night in 13.5 and modified. hopefully the crc 7000 90c i just picked up will be enough for mod.. maybe i just drive it way too hot.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

well the first night out wasnt a total disaster but the car definitely behaved somewhat different than i was expecting coming from the associated lol. i bent every camber link turnbuckled in both kits and ended up sniping the titanium ones from both my associated cars i was trying to sell lol...
once i got that sorted out though the cars were pretty good for the rest of the night. had an easier time with mod than stock but ive been fighting the 13.5 blinky thing for a while now. just not much tracktime to get it sorted.
now that ive replaced turnbuckles though, the car seems pretty good. ill prob delete those red shims on the caster blocks though and go associated. just not convenient to change those around and i have already lost one of them. had to use kingpin shims to sort it out.

will have to order the rest of the tuning bits and check out some online setups. kit settings didnt really work for me.. got lots of heckling from my crc dominant club for sure about the china ripoff, but im sure in a few weeks it will be onpace with my old car and hopefully better.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hope ya get it sorted out, I'm running one at the moment too and me and wes are thinking about hitting up overgeared on feb 2, my first night out with mine was on par with wes and bodine, and it was a lot more twitchy than I cared for. I should have it sorted out by the time we get up there
Old 01-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

its unlikely ill go to overgeared that day. irocc has a club race im pretty sure. car was quite twitchy but i like that to a degree. Im not quite close to competing with bodine and company but i have been able to compete with craig on occasion. blake is still out of reach but thats 20+ years against 3 lol.
next weekend ill try out the iic setup. unless dave wants to share where he was for speed weekend.
everyone was kinda bitten by the track though. i wasnt the only one having difficulties. when we vaccumed the track after the trophy race, allllll the tracion got sucked up. was like running on green carpet again lol.

stock main i was in second place for a long time but met some trouble and lost quite a lot of time. apparently the sidelink popped off but after getting home later i found the top place hanging on by like one thread of one screw and all the side link balls backed off.
I had already lost one screw from the sidelink in mod earlier in the night. the mod car had both camber links bent back giving the car like 10degrees of camber and an absolute messton of caster. add the hanging side link and its remarkable i even finished that race lol.

learned my lesson, shit is loctited now and shouldn't give me any more troubles. its actually kinda funny. but i guess the stock car was kind of a rush job on thursday/friday night. nothign else really went wrong with the mod car, though there was a ton of rubber residue on the chassis edges so i guess the car is too soft or im just chucking it into corners way aggressive lol.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

1st outing with my car went great. I found the car to be very stable and consistant. I did not make any chassis changes threw out the day other than gearing. I was able to qualify 2nd and at the start of the main someone ran under me and flipped me over (roll over antenna will be on the car next race for sure.

I just need to find some more punch in the infield compared to the other cars i was running aginst my car was just too soft and they were pulling me big time.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

is there an alternative to the stock shock oring? mine seem to be deformed and the cap leaks pretty good.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

will have to order the rest of the tuning bits and check out some online setups. kit settings didnt really work for me..
Here is what I have been running in 13.5 blinky and it seems to be pretty fast:

10-deg reactive
Big shim forward (less static caster)
.5 degree camber
.020 front springs
AE black sides, on the outside position
Kyosho 5k tube lube
upper shock position on battery brace, 2mm shim under top shock ball stud
65wt oil, softest center spring (although any of them should work fine)
green rears, tp fronts. blue rears will work well too, but might give a little less steering.
amr-12 body

nothign else really went wrong with the mod car, though there was a ton of rubber residue on the chassis edges so i guess the car is too soft or im just chucking it into corners way aggressive lol.
Don't worry about the rubbing unless it is on the front edge of the chassis. It is pretty normal to see rubbing on the edges and at the back underneath the center pivot.

is there an alternative to the stock shock oring? mine seem to be deformed and the cap leaks pretty good.
Are you referring to the little o-ring that goes inside the shock top cap? I believe this o-ring swells a little bit, so the key is to make sure it is fully seated before you place the top cap on and then make sure the shock shaft is perfectly in-line with that o-ring when you assembly everything so that the o-ring isn't nudged out of place. This typically takes me a couple tries to get right, but it should work just fine.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default lightning 12

My lightning 12 with a Much More fleta....
Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning 12-20140127_185238.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

here is a video from the 2nd round from this past weekend. I won this on due less mistakes. I still need to figure out the rollout/fdr thing so im not getting pulled so much in the infield.

http://youtu.be/G1jl5IjNpTg

am the yellow and white car (Rob Jensen)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.