Wiki Posts
Search

Big rig wheel question for TC chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Big rig wheel question for TC chassis

Buying one of the Yokomo on road racing truck bodies but looking to see what type of scale wheels are out there that will work with standard TC wheels. Want to find a set of wheels that will keep the truck theme but possibly use the Tamiya wide TC tires. It looks like the typical Big rig wheels will not work with standard TC tires. Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

For a simple option look at the HPI vintage wheels and tyres. The tyre sidewall wraps around the wheel to give the impression of a higher profile tyre.

If you really want a truck style wheel (and if you have a big enough budget) have a look at RC4WD. The 1.9" wheels should fit touring car tyres, the 1.7" wheels will fit truck tyres, and they have adapters to fit them either on hex drives or the drive pin in the axle.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiya night huller
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

So if the knight hauler fronts will work what would work for the rears since I don't think these racing trucks have a duel set up in in the back?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by salvine
So if the knight hauler fronts will work
Knight Hauler fronts are non driven and made to run free on the axle and won't work on a touring car chassis. The rear internal wheels are designed to fit hex drives, and can be used on their own.

Race trucks have always used dual rears, they wouldn't be able to put the power down otherwise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NulK4hZ93Q
Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like the rim sizes are 22 mm wide as weiil so finding a TC tire to fit looks tricky. Might have to widen the truck wheels to fit the tires and then who knows about the offset and If they will fit the body. Might just go with a set of the Tamiya wide BBS mesh wheels like the ones that came on the wide Porsche. Those would look pretty good and easy to get tires. I guess If I can get a set of knight hauler wheels for a good price I can experiment but seems a little spendy to make them work. It would be sweet to have a set of working duels on the rear though with racing slicks.