R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #361
Tech Elite
 
Carranza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 2,079
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I am picking this up from TQRC or my wife is actually for my B-day gift.

FWIW this is going to be my first on-road car and I hear its one of the better starter cars.

I plan on running 17.5 stock touring car (i hope at least not familiar with classes yet)
What type of body do I need? I have seen there are different lengths.

Any hops up that may be required prior to build? not looking for bling factor.
Back up parts for a beginner? I am not new to not RC as I usually race 1/10 off road.

TQRC is where I will run as its only 10 mins from my house does anyone have tire recommendations?

Thanks in advance and sorry to dirty the thread up with already asked questions but search function is not my friend.

Any other tips or advice more than welcomed.
__________________
Pegasus Raceway
IERC Raceway
TLR & Tekin are my main squeeze's!
Yokomo BD7
Carranza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #362
Tech Elite
 
Carranza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 2,079
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Double Post, sorry.
__________________
Pegasus Raceway
IERC Raceway
TLR & Tekin are my main squeeze's!
Yokomo BD7
Carranza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #363
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,596
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderzone77 View Post
Thanks MD !! But are these the stock Sakura XI Sport (I have them..never used..) or are them from any other Sakura model ? (like Ultimate or DH).
On the TQ RC Racing site the XI Sport is listed under compatibility. They will work with a lot of other vehicles. I use them and like them. I run mine in VTA and I had to put a small spacer in the wheel. These stay on the other type of lock nut would work loose.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #364
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,596
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carranza76 View Post
I am picking this up from TQRC or my wife is actually for my B-day gift.

FWIW this is going to be my first on-road car and I hear its one of the better starter cars.

I plan on running 17.5 stock touring car (i hope at least not familiar with classes yet)
What type of body do I need? I have seen there are different lengths.

Any hops up that may be required prior to build? not looking for bling factor.
Back up parts for a beginner? I am not new to not RC as I usually race 1/10 off road.

TQRC is where I will run as its only 10 mins from my house does anyone have tire recommendations?

Thanks in advance and sorry to dirty the thread up with already asked questions but search function is not my friend.

Any other tips or advice more than welcomed.
I would pick up some front arms. That seems to be an issue. Some guys run the Sakura Zero arms. I bought the graphite arms to use as replacements. I don't know if they are any better than the stock. But, the stock arms were out of stock when I placed an order. I would buy some extra "C" hubs and steering uprights/knuckles. I would talk to the guys at the hobby shop about bodies. I made a rigid front bumper out of very thin fiberglass and fit it under the front foam bumper. This weekend I ran my car in VTA and didn't break anything on a rough parking lot track. I think the guys at the hobby shop can also give you a lot of good advice.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #365
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carranza76 View Post
I am picking this up from TQRC or my wife is actually for my B-day gift.

FWIW this is going to be my first on-road car and I hear its one of the better starter cars.

I plan on running 17.5 stock touring car (i hope at least not familiar with classes yet)
What type of body do I need? I have seen there are different lengths.

Any hops up that may be required prior to build? not looking for bling factor.
Back up parts for a beginner? I am not new to not RC as I usually race 1/10 off road.

TQRC is where I will run as its only 10 mins from my house does anyone have tire recommendations?

Thanks in advance and sorry to dirty the thread up with already asked questions but search function is not my friend.

Any other tips or advice more than welcomed.

I'm still kind of a noob to TC too (had my XI Sport about 3 months now) so take my advice FWIW but here's what I think, based on my experience so far:

Body: depends on the rules of the class you want to run, but usually a 190mm race body is what everyone runs (I'm am currently using the Protoform Mazda6 GX)

Parts: Get spare front & rear arms, c-hubs, uprights, and knuckles for sure. Those are what I was breaking most often. The only hopups I've added so far are aluminum wheel hexes and sway bars, but I think a lot of guys have switched to aluminum bulkheads as well because of too much flex in the plastic ones. The SSK driveshafts have also been recommended by some.

Tires: No idea what is used at TQ. The track I race at requires a spec tire, so you might ask TQ what spec tire they require (IF they require one)

Hopefully that was helpful for you, but the more experienced guys might have some better advice.
__________________
Associated RC8B3e
Tekno SCT410
Associated B5M 17.5
Associated SC5M
JPM398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #366
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
maybe you should ask on the ZERO thread, dont know if they interchange with the XI Sport blocks.
Sorry, I did not relized there is a different thread for Zero.

Is the Sakura XI and Ultimate suspension Blocks interchangeable?
stoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #367
Tech Elite
 
Carranza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 2,079
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys! Is this really a good car for 17.5 TC?
__________________
Pegasus Raceway
IERC Raceway
TLR & Tekin are my main squeeze's!
Yokomo BD7
Carranza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #368
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoto View Post
Sorry, I did not relized there is a different thread for Zero.

Is the Sakura XI and Ultimate suspension Blocks interchangeable?
yes, the suspension blocks are interchangable between the XI Sport and Ultimate ... most parts interchange between these two, but the bulkheads DO NOT.
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #369
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM398 View Post
I'm still kind of a noob to TC too (had my XI Sport about 3 months now) so take my advice FWIW but here's what I think, based on my experience so far:

Body: depends on the rules of the class you want to run, but usually a 190mm race body is what everyone runs (I'm am currently using the Protoform Mazda6 GX)

Parts: Get spare front & rear arms, c-hubs, uprights, and knuckles for sure. Those are what I was breaking most often. The only hopups I've added so far are aluminum wheel hexes and sway bars, but I think a lot of guys have switched to aluminum bulkheads as well because of too much flex in the plastic ones. The SSK driveshafts have also been recommended by some.

Tires: No idea what is used at TQ. The track I race at requires a spec tire, so you might ask TQ what spec tire they require (IF they require one)

Hopefully that was helpful for you, but the more experienced guys might have some better advice.

Oh, I almost forgot...I highly recommend the aluminum floating servo mount as well.
__________________
Associated RC8B3e
Tekno SCT410
Associated B5M 17.5
Associated SC5M
JPM398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #370
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM398 View Post
Oh, I almost forgot...I highly recommend the aluminum floating servo mount as well.
interesting.. why ? more secure ?
And how about aluminium wheel hexes ? 5mm or other size ?
coderzone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #371
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderzone77 View Post
hi, in my XI Sport I just centered the servo arm but... the front wheels are stearing to the right !
Why ? do I need 5 degrees offset like the Sakura Ultimate ? the manual of XI Sport doesn't say it
I quote myself...
I decided to not do the offset. My servo was setup with the arm at 90, perfectly centered. So, I put the linkage longer and now I am discovering that my car has more steering to the left, and less steering to the right.
May could be that the problem caused by not doing the offset ?
coderzone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #372
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderzone77 View Post
interesting.. why ? more secure ?
And how about aluminium wheel hexes ? 5mm or other size ?
I'm not sure if it's any more secure, I just didn't like how much flex there was with the plastic servo mounts.

And for aluminum hexes, I'm just using the stock 5mm size.
__________________
Associated RC8B3e
Tekno SCT410
Associated B5M 17.5
Associated SC5M
JPM398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #373
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Default

what are the correct metal bulkhead parts for the Sakura Xi Sport ?
can someone give me the Part number ? (i only see the "front" one in 3racing official page)
coderzone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #374
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderzone77 View Post
what are the correct metal bulkhead parts for the Sakura Xi Sport ?
can someone give me the Part number ? (i only see the "front" one in 3racing official page)
http://racevta.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=334

fits both front and rear XI Sport
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #375
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Thanks moparSRT, so I have to buy 2 sets, right ?
Do they make a lot of difference from the plastic ones ?
coderzone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:11 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0