Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I feel the only upgrade this car needs now is an aluminum steering upright set. Even the carbon ones are pretty horrible as far as that plastic nut threading into it.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
I feel the only upgrade this car needs now is an aluminum steering upright set. Even the carbon ones are pretty horrible as far as that plastic nut threading into it.
My complaint about the uprights is that they split right at the top, so the top of the hole that you screw the pillow ball retainer into. I've had 3 crack there, and unless you notice it, the ball will pull out on the next hit.

The only thing I don't know is if was the original plastic or the carbon plastic that did this. I have both and I mixed them up in my box. I think it may have been the regular plastic, but I would think that the carbon would crack easier?

I'd probably buy an aluminum set.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
My complaint about the uprights is that they split right at the top, so the top of the hole that you screw the pillow ball retainer into. I've had 3 crack there, and unless you notice it, the ball will pull out on the next hit.

The only thing I don't know is if was the original plastic or the carbon plastic that did this. I have both and I mixed them up in my box. I think it may have been the regular plastic, but I would think that the carbon would crack easier?

I'd probably buy an aluminum set.
Is that where it crack...? please confirm....

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Aluminum upright does not work because there is a king pin screw in into the upright. To keep that pin tight you might need to use lock tight for that pin and using lock tight in that pin is NOT a good idea because it has the suspension travel on it.

I am re-doing the solid work of the block and beef it up to about 0.2mm around the whole ball cup area...but I would like to see exactly where others are cracking it at....I need the actual spot that where it crack, at least from those who cracked the block I want to know mainly from which spot....
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Is that where it crack...? please confirm....

Yes! That is precisely the spot!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That is the spot..please please fix it!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Rookie

I've had 3 right-hand ones crack like that
Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Fragile...

car is good except for those pillow-ball spindles. I have been cracking them like they are made of glass. Just about any tap with the wheels turned nets a broken front-end. I'm at the Snowbirds now and am on my last one. If it breaks, then the SP-1 will be retired...
Old 01-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How soon could we see new uprights?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

I had one of the original plastic ones pull the ball right through the upright. After I replaced that I haven't had a problem since. I'm still running the older plastic ones. With all these new stiffer and stronger aluminum parts I figure the front end needs a little give somewhere or it will keep breaking.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrp
car is good except for those pillow-ball spindles. I have been cracking them like they are made of glass. Just about any tap with the wheels turned nets a broken front-end. I'm at the Snowbirds now and am on my last one. If it breaks, then the SP-1 will be retired...
Jimmy,
When are they running the mains?
I can express you a Tamiya front end down there that will bolt on to the SP1 until we get this problem resolved
Let me know
Old 01-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Solara you could use aluminium for the steering blocks. If you are worried about the king pin backing out, use a grub screw through the threaded portion of the axle insert to pinch the king pin.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ryeman
Solara you could use aluminium for the steering blocks. If you are worried about the king pin backing out, use a grub screw through the threaded portion of the axle insert to pinch the king pin.
hmmmm, that is possible....good idea.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryeman
Originally Posted by Solara
hmmmm, that is possible....good idea.
I would think then you would want/need an insert of some type, on the backside, for the pivot ball to rotate against to prevent galling/sticking as the chrome plated pivot ball rotates against the softer aluminum.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Congratulation to Fernando Gordinho and Jim Piersol to bring the SPEED PASSION SP1 F1 to the A-main of Snowbird....well done guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.