Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Speed Passion F1 car - The SP1

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The F60 wing sort of slides on, but the holes don't line up exactly. I could cut the lower part of the bracket down as it's not needed and that would eliminate the need for spacers all together. The top of the wing lines up with the top of the airbox and it looks right height wise in comparison with the other F1s I have, but a hair too far forward. One quick trip to the hobby store for screws and I'll have it nailed down one way or another. Still waiting to buy and F68 body, I'd really like to try one.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The F60 wing sort of slides on, but the holes don't line up exactly. I could cut the lower part of the bracket down as it's not needed and that would eliminate the need for spacers all together. The top of the wing lines up with the top of the airbox and it looks right height wise in comparison with the other F1s I have, but a hair too far forward. One quick trip to the hobby store for screws and I'll have it nailed down one way or another. Still waiting to buy and F68 body, I'd really like to try one.

I mounted my F60 rear wing with no spacers, and it looks real close to where it should be. My F68 body just arrived last night, they have them in stock on the speed passion website.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Whats the best place in the US to order an SP-1?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samsking
ahahahaha sucker

I ordered mine from f1paintlab. Was nice since Brad also carries a bunch of the other stuff I wanted.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by samsking
F1paintlab, or direct from Speed Passion USA. Unless you like red you can over pay and buy the Tresrey "red" version from Tresrey USA.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I put the 2012 body set on my Sp1 and aside from 2mm of spacers under the body posts it dropped right on rear Wing and all.

Glad to report that despite a dusty pollen filled track the Sp1 was the smoother to drive car compared to the v2. Spent all day tweaking both cars on the same tire and set TQ and would have won the main aside from a ball stud that slipped from the servo arm, new car gremlins...
Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Maybe you didn't assemble the center uprights properly so it doesn't line up? Mine slid on just fine even without spacers...I just added them because the wing looked too far forward to me.

Originally Posted by Difuser
I put the 2012 body set on my Sp1 and aside from 2mm of spacers under the body posts it dropped right on rear Wing and all.

Glad to report that despite a dusty pollen filled track the Sp1 was the smoother to drive car compared to the v2. Spent all day tweaking both cars on the same tire and set TQ and would have won the main aside from a ball stud that slipped from the servo arm, new car gremlins...
2mm seems about right for the rear body posts on the F60 body as well. I've been debating mounting the body lower as with a little trimming I could get it to clear without raising the rear posts...but I'm not sure I want to do that just yet. It would be much easier just to raise the posts.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dan
can you please post a picture of your electronics layout in the SP-1 Please.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

It's a bit of a rats nest due to testing Sunday. We moved a few things around. I can post some up in a bit. I did mount the Reventon on its side behind the servo and the receiver on the right.
I might be flopping the layout and going to rear speedo after I get some scales to weigh a few things for balance.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
It's a bit of a rats nest due to testing Sunday. We moved a few things around. I can post some up in a bit. I did mount the Reventon on its side behind the servo and the receiver on the right.
I might be flopping the layout and going to rear speedo after I get some scales to weigh a few things for balance.
Wow I forgot all about that I sold my scale setup station. I would have kept it all if I knew I would be back into R/C again. This is starting to become one heck of a nut.$$$$$$ ya know.

Marty

Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Unfortunately the TC setup stations don't work so well on pan car style F1 cars due to the different axle size...but they do kinda work. The setup stations for pan cars don't work because they are setup for standard sized bearings and axles. I'd love to get an adapter for my Hudy pan car setup station that takes the metric bearings of the F1 car. It wouldn't be too hard to do because it is basically just a threaded insert that holds the standard bearings...would just need to copy that and size the ID for metric bearings.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

For me not so much the setup station as weighing speedos wings and all the parts to keep as much consistent when changing parts or setups.

It's always good to have a few postal scales around for facts Rather than it feels lighter....
Old 05-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Rear wing issue was assembler ignorance. I settled on a 3 mm spacer. Side by side with the F1R both look exactly the same assembled.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Drove this car for the first time last night. Smaller carpet track, lower traction (although it started to come up later in the evening).

I have only driven a couple different F1 chassis before, but I am very impressed with this SP chassis. The car never felt tippy, even when I doped full fronts with 2 deg of camber. I have driven a couple other F1 cars that would want to traction roll, even in lower traction conditions. I was using Pardus tires, fyi.

Mid to exit steering is lacking, but I still haven't tried many other spring options. The car has a surprising amount of initial cut; I just need to figure out how to get it to follow up and keep turning.

Some random notes:
- looks like tc springs fit the center shock. I tried an xray spring last night and it worked really well.
- AE side springs fit
- didn't notice a huge difference between the 5 and 10 deg caster options, but will test again tonight.
- I hate the front ride height adjustment on this car.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

I and a couple of the guys at the club turned some laps with the SP1 last night. It was just plain hooked up. It was a little doggy when coming off the corners, but I think that might be more to me trying to soften the bottom end to keep rear wheel spin under acceleration down. It didn't matter what front tire I had on it, the steering was there with no real push or understeer. It was nice to have such a neutral car to start making changes to. The only complaint was that for some reason the off power steering felt slow to one of our better drivers. That being said, fast lap of the night was around 13.5 and the SP1 with nothing done but add camber, shock oil, change to a horizontal servo and Associated side links ran a 13.7 fast lap with many 13.9s and 14.0s to back it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.