lrp brushless esc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lrp brushless esc

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

I just installed a new Sphere ESC and the Neo 1 motor and can not figure out how to change the mode.

I can make the leds flash like they mode is changing but I can not find a way to "Set / lock in" the mode that is indicated by the flashing lights. It seems that the instructions left off a step in stating how to make the mode selected "stick". I do not want Mode 1 but either mode 3 or 4.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Keith
Old 10-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Tech Legend

Frog , Check your PM....

Let me know if you need more help...
Old 10-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedmunkey
1.) You need to chill, yer acting like a complete dickhead. Is it actually an act?

Speedmunkey - Again, if you want to resort to name calling, go right ahead. You seem to have an affinity for it. It's a typical response from those who possess a feeble mind and can't debate their way out of a paper-bag. As for your "IO" term... it has it's insinuations which you made quite clear... so please, don't try to back out from it now. The thing is a few here seem to like belittleing the fact that others are truly having serious problems with their Sphere and Neo-One combo and because they are not experiencing any issues with theirs... then the assumption is it must be user error. I will dispute that ervery time as some others already have because the product was sold to a number of us defective. Period. LRP or Associated have not announced what these issues are but if EddieO's post is accurate, then at least that is one explanation which I think most of us would appreciate knowing especially since it could potentially affect our "investment" when subjected to certain conditions (most likely in Touring and 4WD Off-Road).

Originally Posted by Katana Man
It seems like your current goal is to continue to bash the Sphere. Maybe it makes you feel better, I don't know.

Katana Man - I am a huge proponent of Brushless Motors... (specifically sensored Brushless technology). It's all I have been running for over two years now. It is fantastic to see LRP join the market but it's too bad Orion dropped out of it early on (but something tells me they will be back ). Right now the best thing is for both Novak and LRP to succeed in-order for the technology to spread and get more acceptance. In my opinion (mainly because of my experience with it and reading about others)... LRP needs to address these issues and they should be open about it. Novak did this with their SS5800 early on as did Spektrum. AE even did it when reports started coming in that the B4 chassis was cracking under normal racing conditions. Anyone who sent their chassis with the original tub molding would get a more durable chassis in exchange... for free... no questions asked. They also did it with a recall of the Reedy Quasar Pro charger. Again, I am glad that there are many who are not having problems but some obviously are and maybe certain conditions cause these problems to arise. Some have argued that in a few situations the Spektrum system if used in tandem is to be blamed. I am on a bit of a quest to find out what the problems really are and I even have been in close contact with John Adams from Sprektrum to see if there was any basis to the Spektrum user arguement. Here is what he had to say:

John Adams - "If our Spektrum system sees a momentary power loss of even a few milliseconds it shuts off and must re-boot (computer micro chip)*which takes seconds. When a short duration power loss occurs with an FM system the systems recovers immediately when the power comes back on so no problem is detected. The problem is the Spektrum system must have a constant power source of above 3.2 volts and the LRP controllers don't provide this in some instances. The problem only occurs with the LRP controllers and some GM controllers. SO who is at fault?"

LRP seem to have a history of having a low BEC circuit among some or most of their controllers... but from what I was told the one for the Sphere was increased and improved which technically should help eliminate Spektrum issues. At least from all this info... it doesn't seem like the Spektrum System should then be blamed.... just a thought.

Originally Posted by EddieO
Like any new product, there will be issues.

According to a few, the thermal shutdown thing is not always due to gearing, its a flaw in the design that they are updating, so new units should not have the problem....

It's taken novak a while to get theirs right and they still have issues.....so LRP can't expect it to be perfect right away.......

And the Sphere/Neo are in the AE price list, have been for a while....

Later EddieO

EddiO - Thank you for sharing that news. A flaw in the design huh?! Do you mind letting us know if your source is by chance somehow directly or indirectly involved with AE or LRP? Maybe a Factory Driver, Distributor, or Company Rep? Just curious...

By the way when I mentioned that about the AE price list I was referring to the "Cooling Set" LRP is apparently making available (Part # 82500). It's recommended on their User Guide but to date I can't find it on any of the large online shops or even AE for that matter?!

Many Thanks once again!

Last edited by STEALTH; 10-23-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Legend

Yeah ! EDDIE !!!
Please tell the Stealth how my "FLAWED" Neo performed on your track last week-end....
Old 10-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Frog , Check your PM....

Let me know if you need more help...

This info you supplied in the PM was perfect.

Thank you,
K
Old 10-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

No Stealth, I can debate till you are blue in the face, and have done so many times on many other forums. However, I do think you have an agenda here, and I think you are bing a dickhead about the entire thing.

For the record, I hate AE and most everything associated (pun not intended, but there it is anyway..) with them. The Sphere and Neo had to be top notch shiznit or I would have hated it. So far, I love mine. You may disagree, and that's the beauty of a free society. You can disagree and I cannot have you executed no matter how annoying you become..
Old 10-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Tech Legend

Well this "thermal shut down" issue Eddio is talking bout is new to me...

I`v run my Sphere on a hot asphalt track , gear it untill it was hot enought to burn my finger`s.....

Even the heat tape holding the heat sink on the ESC came loose...

Still , even with a 36 pinion on a 94 spur on a TC-3 and untill the pack waz dead !

No fade, no problems....

No Thermal shut down.....

Now....
Don`t go and gear to moon , I got lucky ....
Even with a brush motor if you gear way to tall you can melt a ESC and toast the motor....

Still even under the tuffest condition`s I could create. My Sphere never has reach this so call "thermal shutdown"...

Eddio , please take note this fact please...
Old 10-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

I've just read all those comments about the LRP/Reedy combo and it disappointed me: broken esc' s not as fast as a 12turn. I'hjave been running a mamba 25 (8000KV)in my micro for more than a year without any problem and yes it is fast...I even outrun my 1/8 buggy with it. I was planning to buy one for my Yokomo mr4tc SD but no, it might be better until the Mamba Maxx will be released with a touring car motor like 8000KV which I have in my micro.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

The recent RC Car Action magazine rated the Sphere with Neo as equivalent a 9 turn motor.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:08 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Katana Man
The recent RC Car Action magazine rated the Sphere with Neo as equivalent a 9 turn motor.
I would say it is like a 9 turn motor but much more consistant throughout a race (1/12 8 min). I used the Sphere/Neo last weekend to TQ the Roar Reg 9 Onroad Champs, unfortunately I only finished 2nd . There were 3 others using the same system and all I have to say is they had a big smile everytime we went down the long back straight
Old 10-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Speedmunkey - Wow... your more pathetic than I even guessed. Yeah... we'll take your word for it that you can debate. You just proved my point....again! Now go ahead... expound on my "agenda". Give us your theory. Better not strain too hard though... all that thinking may just give you a bad migraine or worse pop a blood-vessel. Since you also hate Associated so much... now we know where all that pent-up aggression is coming from. Thoughts of violence as well... another wonderful trait. I must credit you though... at least you know how to describe yourself with regards to your User Name. Just work on your spelling... as that specific primate your emulating is spelled M-O-N-K-E-Y. Hope that helps!

Frog Racer - Just got your PM. Thanks! Glad all is well!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2
I would say it is like a 9 turn motor but much more consistant throughout a race (1/12 8 min). I used the Sphere/Neo last weekend to TQ the Roar Reg 9 Onroad Champs, unfortunately I only finished 2nd . There were 3 others using the same system and all I have to say is they had a big smile everytime we went down the long back straight

I as well ran with P2 last weekend at the Region 9 regionals with the Sphere/Neo combo. It may seem like a 9 turn but man it seem to have whole lot more power than my 9 turn even than the one I got from DC Motor Sports. I enjoyed the fact that I passed a guy down the straight away that was halfway down it before I got to the straight away. this guy was a guy that I normally fight for third place at our club races.

I have accidently plugged in the battery backwards and thought I had blown it up cause it felt quite hot to touch. but I plgged in the battery in the right way and it worked with no problems. So I have to say that with my little mistake and being worried that it was ruined to find out that it still worked was a sigh of relief after all that was said in this thread about how so many problems with it. Also being this is my first LRP esc, especially since I have always been a Novak user, I am impressed with the quality and simplicity.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm fully aware of how to spell "monkey", you fucktard.. However, my user name is spelled "munkey".. If you can spell "you're" as "your" everytime you open your mouth, then I can spell "munkey" how I like as well.

My theory is that you are a Novak fanboy, and anything but Orange is a target for you. So sorry that Blue is kicking the ass of Orange =)

Also, this makes no sense.....

"Since you also hate Associated so much... now we know where all that pent-up aggression is coming from. "

WTF are you talking about? I dislike AE, and practically everything they make. If I didn't firmly believe in the Sphere, I'd be pointing out every flaw I could find.. Kind of like you are trying to do..

Oh, and I have many violent thoughts.. Be thankful I don't act on them very often and that you aren't local to me..

anyway, back on topic........

Carlos, this is my first LRP ESC as well, and I too was a Novak user for the last 18 years. Never again =) What kind of plugs were you using? I'd get something that won't let you hook it up wrong, like Deans..
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i have to agree with p2 and carlosg. I was the thrid running the lrp/reedy combno and for 1/12 you can't beat the setup. My buddy was at one point a reedy and assoc sponsored guy and he drove the lrp/reedy setup and is not sold on that combo. He said the novak gtb was not as smooth. and for 1/12 smooth is always the ticket.

the guys that beat p2 at region 9 was running a 10 double hand wound. if it were not for setup of the car, p2 would have killed him. p2 was never down on power even when my bud was running a 9 double. but the track cooled more the 20degrees through our a2 and more at the start of a3 and p2 did not have the grip he needed to take the win.

But my bud is already putting in an order for the lrp/reedy setup this week.

I did have problem with my spektrum with the lrp/neo setup. I had a receiver pack installed. I went back to crystalls and all was fixed. but with a stock motor and my keyence, the spektrun works without a hitch. so there may still be something with the lrp/reedy and spektrum combo.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Tech Legend

Please , this is`nt worth making a fuss all about !

Stealth, I`v read for the last couple days most of your posts made on RcTech...

You seem like a racer who loves this sport & works hard at organizing racing for your fellow racer`s in your area...

I give high points for those efforts ....

But now, I too am confused by your efforts to bash the Lrp brushless .....

Just so you know me a bit better....
Notice i have not had to say negitive comments about Novak....

This is because they have done as much as any manufacture in bringing this new technology to us racer`s...

They have to be given credit for all their efforts thus far....

I am pro brushless ....

Not pro Lrp...

Or just pro Novak.....

Brushless is about the best thing to come along sense the electronic speedo...
So I support all brushless concepts....
I honestly believe these new system`s will bring even more racer`s into this Sport..

No way I`m gona diss another brushless company just cus I like another .

Hopefully we can will learn to get along & work together in support of these new Brushless motor`s ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.