Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Alex Racing Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Well this is my input on this,

- The rack type steering, if we were to copy anything, try the Yokomo BD, very precise, and look durable.

- What's with that solid bulkhead, how do you check the condition of the Bevel Gears? And how many screws do we have to take off to change them?

- Looks like they have kept the Barracuda drivetrain, the little ears on the Bevel Gear, Please, I have wasted so many Bevel gears because of them.

- The shock tower, a wider front and rear would be good. Rear body mounts should be place else where so you can use all the mounting holes on the rear.

- Narrower chassis would be nice, and a battery place that is easy to assess would be great.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Just to Contradict myself~~~

I think I will still get one... I love the Barracude, and I can see this better it still...
Old 05-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default You have to be kidding....

that thing looks like some home built boyscout project. The diff cases are not even milled down. Two bricks? I can't imagine anyone buying it.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, those diff cases look huge!
It looks like getting to those bevel gears is going to be surgery like the Pro4.
The thing looks very wide. With all the new cars like the Losi and Xray getting narrower and narrower its weird to see a car this wide. Unless it is meant for carpet?
Thinking about it, without the top deck, they probably needed to compensate for it by making the chassis wider?
I think they should have just tweaked and perfected the Barracuda. I really liked that design.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Let me just post this question:

Would you buy a Barracuda R3 Collector's Edition, or the Stinger base on these pictures?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

i rate it out of 100 - 70
its looks like a red TT-01 tamiya with a carbon kit
hehehehehehehehehe
Old 05-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by FaiLip

Would you buy a Barracuda R3 Collector's Edition, or the Stinger base on these pictures?
Based on the pics, probably the R3 CE
I hope the production model is different or as they say the PAL version will be better.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Given its not the most beautiful car yet, but you are asking if you would choose a refined production car or a first prototype...

I woudl expect there will be some refining along the lines of what others have said above.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

I guess we shouldn't settle and make a decision on these prototype picture. I am sure Alex Racing will be delivering the same usual workmanship and it will have gone through tons of R&D. I hope those that loved the Barracuda, will continues to love the Stinger (to be honest, I don't really like the name)
Old 05-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

I was kinda hoping they would keep the uncovered Diff idea like the R3.
Maybe make some lexan covers for it like the TBEvo4.
It would make inspection of the diffs a little easier than putting your ear next to the covered diffs to hear for crunching of broken bevel gears.
Also, a thinner chassis. The proto chassis looks like a pan car in width.
We all love to critique don't we!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

The gearbox being totaly sealed isn't a big issue going by the Barracuda's bevel gears. They gears are very strong and I've never managed to break one other than having stones get caught in the teeth, fully sealed they should be virtually bullet proof.

I'd rather see the gearbox halfs joined differently though, a top and bottom rather than left and right, would probably make removing the diffs a bit easier.

I'm very interested to see the PAL version, I hope it's not too much more expensive than the standard Alex Racing version though.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Herminator
I'm very interested to see the PAL version, I hope it's not too much more expensive than the standard Alex Racing version though.
The PAL version wil have Open Difs similar to the Barracuda.. but will also be maint. friendly.. AKA access from the top... some other things.. the chassis will be 3mm like the R2...and it will have several things lowered 1mm... thats all that I know of right now..

and on a side note the STINGER actually comes in pretty light weight.. 1460 and thats fully equiped..3700gp batteries too...
I would have to say the PAL version would come in about 20~30grams lighter
-Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

1460? now that's impressive with those solid bulk head.

So the chassis is made to fit 3700's, good, coz the R3 doesn't.

Will the production Stinger comes with battery mounting plates? It would make not having to strap batteries so much easier.

I am favorable of a top and bottom split bulkhead too, easier to maintain diff and bevel gears. How about easier access to the spur gear, The Xenon conversion make spur change so easy, wish they would take that on board for the production Stinger
Old 05-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

1460? now that's impressive with those solid bulk head.

So the chassis is made to fit 3700's, good, coz the R3 doesn't.

Will the production Stinger comes with battery mounting plates? It would make not having to strap batteries so much easier.

I am favorable of a top and bottom split bulkhead too, easier to maintain diff and bevel gears. How about easier access to the spur gear, The Xenon conversion make spur change so easy, wish they would take that on board for the production Stinger
Not to sure about the battery mount as of yet.. but... the PAL version will have a top access mount similar to the PAL R2 motor mount so with there bulkheads and motor mount I would think that you should be able to access the spur gear in seconds with only 6 ~8 screws..

But I think ALEX will be doing a few minor changes to the Stinger.. before the production run starts..??..
maybe if they are reading this.. "ARD TAKE NOTES"
-Dave
Old 05-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Someone a few threads ago mentioned the similarity between the IRS TC3 and the Stinger? So how did the IRS TC3 handle? Down here at New Zealand, I don't recall ever seeing one, so don't know whether they were just a blink blink or they were seriously a better upgrade of the Factory Team TC3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.