Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unwritten Rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Default Unwritten Rules

I think there should be a thread on behavior when racing and practicing on tracks for newbies. Me myslef am no pro, just wondering what rules to follow when racing to have a good time.
What are some unwritten rules to use when in the pits and on the track? Me myself could have been pissing off guys and not knowing it.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Here is a good one:

Dont touch other peoples cars without asking. Yes they will be back to their pits at some time during the day and you could ask them to see their car.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A rule we have in place. If you hit someone, and take them out, you must wait for them to regain their position in front of you before you go again. This is a much more accepted way of saying "your sorry".
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hmmm... good topic.

Personally, I've always tried to behave to others, both on and off the track in a way i would expect someone to behave to me.

I deffiently agree with the other two comments already made.

Always try and be fair, and make sure if there is a quicker car behind in qualyfing, just let them go by. Make sure you do it sensibly, you'll lose suprisingly little time doing it right.... I've even been in the situation myself that i went faster trying to stay with the quicker cars... deffiently helpful to learn the quick lines sometimes.

Otherwise, just try and remember its a hobby, and above all it should be FUN!
If your having a bad day, don't get narked off with it and start taking it out on other racers (ie don't start shouting and screaming at marshals etc). Just put your car down, sit back, take a deep breath and get ready for your next race.
if it's going really bad (and we've all had them) just let it go, and think about how to make it right next time.

Also, and I know this might sound daft, but i'll always try and be willing to answer peoples question. I know for fact I'm nowhere near the top level, but on the odd occasion someone will come up and ask questions. I'll always try and make time for them.

I think it does all just come down to the first thing i said;

treat others how you would expect yourself to be treated, and you can't go far wrong.... plus remember, HAVE FUN!

Regards
Ed
Old 04-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Tech Initiate

hers one

FAST GUYS RULE !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by dsrbltoys
A rule we have in place. If you hit someone, and take them out, you must wait for them to regain their position in front of you before you go again. This is a much more accepted way of saying "your sorry".

When marshalling, cars on the track take precedent to those that are stuck on a board. It's always disheartening to hit a marshal in the ankle while they’re rushing to save someone who is stuck.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by mtc3od
Here is a good one:

Dont touch other peoples cars without asking. Yes they will be back to their pits at some time during the day and you could ask them to see their car.
Yes, I've had this happen to me a couple of times. I only let the people i know and trust mess around in my pit. But when i see other people touching my stuff from a distance i cringe hoping they haven't done anything.

One thing i always do is since i'm not not a great driver when i'm racing i always try and help someones car when their car is stuck when i pass them. That way turn marshalls don't have to run in the middle of the track. And usually i doesn't affect my times that much. Hey this move got me a free custom mazda 6, for good sportsmanship.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

One of my pet-pevs is when people are talking on the driverstand(not race related) or jumping up and down while screaming at the turn marshals.

There should be a book written on driver stand behavor.

just posting my little grip.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

I also hate it when fast snobs pass me and yell at me for being "fast enough"
Old 04-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

-you should never be a angry bastard on the drivers stand
-you should marshall as well as you'd expect others to marshall for you.
-if it is a club where you pay membership, you should help set up the track or maintain it. if it is a private track you don't have to.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

You can always ask the "fast guys" for advice. Just make sure they are not doing something really important.

Unless your racing for position, always let the faster car by.

Don't make sudden movements on the drivers stand. It will distract the other races.

If you have to borrow a motor, make sure you either have it rebuilt by the end of the raceday or give the owner enough money for new brushes.

Don't put the track handout transponder in the side overhanging transponder mount. The trackowners don't like to see that because there is a possibilty of it cracking if you hit a wall or get T-Boned.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Have fun. Good times. Meet new friends. Toy cars.

Meaning don't get pissed off when you get smushed between a board and someone else's car and break a $4.00 part. Did it hurt you when the arm broke?

Treat club races like a get together with your friends. There will always be someone faster and there will always be someone slower.

I have seen it many times where the top 3 fastest guys at the track argue and battle back and forth and the guys that are 10 laps down slapping the boards as hard as they can have a perma-grin on their face as they laugh and have a good time.

My rule is that I always will help anyone who comes and asks a question.

I agree on the borrowed motor rebuild thing. Unless you gave it to a guy that has no idea what to do with a motor besides make sure it turns when he pulls the throttle. Then, it's my fault for letting him borrow it. They will probably want to buy it anyways because they have never had a maintained motor in their car.

Tim
Old 04-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Jeez!!!!...probably already been discussed, but seriously....let the faster guy by. I am not sure what is so hard to grasp, but when you are being lapped for the 1x10^100 time, please just move over a little and let the faster guy by. Now, I know the faster guy can get around you..I mean he is better than you if he is lapping you, BUT if you just let him by, especially in a qualifier, then it will let everyone get better times.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If your car's glitching, take if off the track ASAP. If the glitch occurs on only a particular spot, you may be able to continue running but if the glitch is bad enough to cause you to stall or swerve on the straights, then you better retrieve your car.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For once, I'll play devils advocate...... mind you this is not to be taken seriously.

"The outside pass is grounds for an immediate peeling. If some guy is about to embarass you by going the long way around your sled, you are cleared to dump him. If you feel the need to pass your buddy on the outside just for bragging rights, be preppared to eat board."

I heard that at Snowbirds last year, laughed myself to sleep that night (or maybe I didn't sleep that week? hrm?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.