Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie after over a decade

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie after over a decade

New to RCTech.net...great resources!

My name is Paul. Nice to have friendly advice from a great, knowledgable source!

I had as a hobby-grade r/c a few kits, but the one that stands out more than any, that made me absorb everything I could about the hobby was the Traxxas Blue Eagle I had when I was about 17.

I went on to graduate high-school...then college...then work an family...an here I am again, interested in them once again.

I have TONS for questions, an I've poured over these forums for a vast collection of knowledge, but I'm still lacking about a few things. I am interested in the 1/10 WGT class, but not competing.

So far, I've decided on getting the CRC Gen-X 10 LE kit
Viper R/C VST10.5
Viper R/C Copperhead-R ESC
Savox SH-1250 servo

...an that's about it. I was thinking a 10.5T motor for better run-times with a proper battery, an that's what's confusing me.

I want a good 1s or 2s battery that will allow me about 8 mins with decent speed to play with. Pardon I'm really from the days when LiPo's an Brushless motors just didn't exist, but I'm really excited that the new technologies are out there.

Do I have a good starting point? Any tips or advice? I came here from weeks of research, an this was the best forums that I've come across. Again, I might as well be a total newb, so please, no flames.

Am I going in the right direction with 10.5, or should I go with a hotter motor? I can afford much more than back in the day when I was in high-school, but with family an such, I'm not rich, either. I understand a lot of the "local" tracks around my area are 10.5T, so that's another reason for the motor choice.

Of course, I would be happy to answer any questions from ppl willing to point me in the right direction. I appreciate any an all serious help that you would all have, an look forward to finding a reply to this thread. Again, thank you all for the vast knowledge.

muttb0ne
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muttb0ne
New to RCTech.net...great resources!

My name is Paul. Nice to have friendly advice from a great, knowledgable source!

I had as a hobby-grade r/c a few kits, but the one that stands out more than any, that made me absorb everything I could about the hobby was the Traxxas Blue Eagle I had when I was about 17.

I went on to graduate high-school...then college...then work an family...an here I am again, interested in them once again.

I have TONS for questions, an I've poured over these forums for a vast collection of knowledge, but I'm still lacking about a few things. I am interested in the 1/10 WGT class, but not competing.

So far, I've decided on getting the CRC Gen-X 10 LE kit
Viper R/C VST10.5
Viper R/C Copperhead-R ESC
Savox SH-1250 servo

...an that's about it. I was thinking a 10.5T motor for better run-times with a proper battery, an that's what's confusing me.

I want a good 1s or 2s battery that will allow me about 8 mins with decent speed to play with. Pardon I'm really from the days when LiPo's an Brushless motors just didn't exist, but I'm really excited that the new technologies are out there.

Do I have a good starting point? Any tips or advice? I came here from weeks of research, an this was the best forums that I've come across. Again, I might as well be a total newb, so please, no flames.

Am I going in the right direction with 10.5, or should I go with a hotter motor? I can afford much more than back in the day when I was in high-school, but with family an such, I'm not rich, either. I understand a lot of the "local" tracks around my area are 10.5T, so that's another reason for the motor choice.

Of course, I would be happy to answer any questions from ppl willing to point me in the right direction. I appreciate any an all serious help that you would all have, an look forward to finding a reply to this thread. Again, thank you all for the vast knowledge.

muttb0ne
Go with a 13.5 single and if you decide to race, you'll be set. Outdoor on very large tracks they run 10.5 2S and can get up to 80 mph. Run time on a single cell is around 15 to 20 minutes max. With a 2S, half hour or more as long as you gear right and don't mash the throttle every chance you get.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here are a couple threads that might contain info that you may find useful.

1/10 pan car onroad racing, including 235mm wide chassis (http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-lar...h-pan-car.html)

WGT specific thread (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-pan-spec.html)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey, thanks for the info, guys. It really is appreciated.

I'm sorry if this thread was posted in the wrong place, an I'm sure you all get this type of question all the time. Only downside to having such a vast resource of knowledge: it can be intimidating an HUGELY time-consuming to find specifically what you are looking for. I have literally poured dozens of hours on these forums, an have barely scratched the surface!

Anyway, again, thank you so much. I've checked out those links, Indy, an found quite a bit more. Having come back to the hobby after so much time, I feel stupid I was asking about a measly 8 min runtime, when honestly, when I left the hobby on NiCd, that's about all you could really hope for! Since coming back in, what with the brushless an LiPo setups, I should have expected much longer, stronger run-times. Doh!

I feel like I'm starting brand new all over again. But hey, it's fun, rewarding, an gives me more choices then ever before!