Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR Worlds Qualifying

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default IFMAR Worlds Qualifying

OK, so I have some questions about how competitors from North America qualify to participate in the Electric on-road worlds that is due to be hosted by ROAR in 2014. Since 2013 is a qualifying year I wonder if someone can explain what is required to qualify?

As I read the IFMAR rules I can see that 20 slots are open for 1/12th Scale and 32 for TC.

The ROAR rule book states that the allocation is 30 slots with the possibility of more slot for the host country.

IFMAR Rules
http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/rules/ifmar...neral_2011.pdf

ROAR Rules
http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf

So now for the questions:

Where do allocations come from in the North America? Carpet Nationals, Paved Nationals, both or other level 5 races?

If you qualify in one class are you also allowed to run both 1/12th Scale and 1/10th Scale?

It says that the number of people qualified is based on the number of entries...is this based on a number or a percentage of participants? (I mean is it top 10 in each modified division or top 20% in each division?) The rule is not very clear.

If ROAR allocates 30 competitors and IFMAR allows 20 in 1/12th scale and 32 in 1/10th scale...which number is correct?

So since Rick Hohwart was the only ROAR driver to make an A main in the last worlds...that only locks up one slot in ROARs total block of drivers.

I decided to post this here... because the ROAR forums have very low traffic and I am not sure how much response I would get over there.

Anyway if you have some info to share please do...please don't speculate if you don't know the answers that just creates more issues than it solves.

Last edited by artwork; 01-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
OK, so I have some questions about how competitors from North America qualify to participate in the Electric on-road worlds that is due to be hosted by ROAR in 2014. Since 2013 is a qualifying year I wonder if someone can explain what is required to qualify?

As I read the IFMAR rules I can see that 20 slots are open for 1/12th Scale and 32 for TC.

The ROAR rule book states that the allocation is 30 slots with the possibility of more slot for the host country.

IFMAR Rules
http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/rules/ifmar...neral_2011.pdf

ROAR Rules
http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf

So now for the questions:

Where do allocations come from in the North America? Carpet Nationals, Paved Nationals, both or other level 5 races?

If you qualify in one class are you also allowed to run both 1/12th Scale and 1/10th Scale?

It says that the number of people qualified is based on the number of entries...is this based on a number or a percentage of participants? (I mean is it top 10 in each modified division or top 20% in each division?) The rule is not very clear.

If ROAR allocates 30 competitors and IFMAR allows 20 in 1/12th scale and 32 in 1/10th scale...which number is correct?

So since Rick Howart was the only ROAR driver to make an A main in the last worlds...that only locks up one slot in ROARs total block of drivers.

I decided to post this here... because the ROAR forums have very low traffic and I am not sure how much response I would get over there.

Anyway if you have some info to share please do...please don't speculate if you don't know the answers that just creates more issues than it solves.
The IFMAR driver allotment is correct. And based on ROAR rules I am the only driver qualified at this time. However since the races used to determine the qualified drivers are unclear, I have sent and email to ROAR requesting that it be clarified.

You will have to qualify in each class. Because participation at the Worlds by US drivers has dropped. The issue of needing to actually qualify for two separate classes hasn't been addressed.

My feeling is that qualifying for both classes is based on results at the ROAR Asphalt Nats. This is how it has always been and like mentioned before, it has never really mattered to to low participation by US drivers at the Worlds.

Lastly, I am fairly confident the US will get skipped over and the race move to the next bloc in lone (FEMCA). There are none or very few facilities in the US that can host a race of this magnitude. And many of the people capable of running an event like this won't do it for free.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The IFMAR driver allotment is correct. And based on ROAR rules I am the only driver qualified at this time. However since the races used to determine the qualified drivers are unclear, I have sent and email to ROAR requesting that it be clarified.

You will have to qualify in each class. Because participation at the Worlds by US drivers has dropped. The issue of needing to actually qualify for two separate classes hasn't been addressed.

My feeling is that qualifying for both classes is based on results at the ROAR Asphalt Nats. This is how it has always been and like mentioned before, it has never really mattered to to low participation by US drivers at the Worlds.

Lastly, I am fairly confident the US will get skipped over and the race move to the next bloc in lone (FEMCA). There are none or very few facilities in the US that can host a race of this magnitude. And many of the people capable of running an event like this won't do it for free.
I truly hope we don't decide to pass it along to the next bloc in line. I have heard of a possible solution if there isn't an established track to host the event.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

Rick, thanks for responding.

I was also under the assumption that qualification came only from paved nationals...but will it be different this year based on the increased number of competitors that hope to qualify for worlds at both nationals?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I think the indoor portion of the Worlds should be held at a Convention Center and every state has a killer one..... With that, picking a outdoor track should not be a problem..... Lots of great permanent tracks out there to compete in......

...... Plus I think 20 to 30 slots is a lot for representation..... But that's just me thinking out loud.....
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Stupid Question. Canada would be grouped in with roar in the us?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by valk
Stupid Question. Canada would be grouped in with roar in the us?
Yes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I can think of some tracks that could pull it off.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I can think of some tracks that could pull it off.
A Jackson/Horsham Worlds would be awesome!

Just have to remember that TC is on Asphalt and 12th is Carpet now. So both places have to be pretty close to each other if not at the same location.

EA
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

I do agree that electric onroad track presence is on the decline. RC tends to ebb and flow and Im sure the tide will ebb back toward onroad soon enough (especially if lower cost options can be had and can be raced)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That would be really disappointing if the US passed on hosting the Worlds. I know around here, the 2014 Worlds have created a bit of a buzz about running Mod 12th and Sedan again...

And given that the last 2 Worlds have had the 12th scale portion run on a temporary track built in some sort of convention center, it would seem that finding a a suitable venue for the Worlds is only as difficult as finding an appropriate asphalt location for TC.... and then settling the logistics with the host city for renting the 12th scale facility.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

According to the rule book you can run TC on carpet as well, so you don't necessarily have to find 2 venues close together. A clever reading of 1.0.4 reveals that technically the surface is only recommended to be indoors on carpet, so maybe there is a possibility of running 12th on asphalt (as has been done many times in the past) as well.

Originally Posted by IFMAR WC Electric Track Rules
1.0.1 The IFMAR Electric On-road World Championships will be a 4 day event for the ISTC class and a 3 day event for the 1/12th class. The events may be run consecutively at the same venue or as consecutive separate events at different venues at the same regional areas
[...]
1.0.3 The track surface for the ISTC class can be either asphalt or needle carpet.
1.0.4 The track surface for 1/12th Class is recommended to be indoors on standardised needle carpet.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
According to the rule book you can run TC on carpet as well, so you don't necessarily have to find 2 venues close together. A clever reading of 1.0.4 reveals that technically the surface is only recommended to be indoors on carpet, so maybe there is a possibility of running 12th on asphalt (as has been done many times in the past) as well.
I thought a couple of years ago they came out and said that 12th scale would be on carpet from there on out. Maybe not. They were trying to eliminate the "secret special" Yokomo tire.

Maybe a TC and 12th worlds on carpet would be awesome! Run one layout for 12th scale then change the layout and run it for Sedan! Would not be that hard to pull off a swap over with the day off between classes.

EA
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Maybe a TC and 12th worlds on carpet would be awesome! Run one layout for 12th scale then change the layout and run it for Sedan! Would not be that hard to pull off a swap over with the day off between classes.

EA
i agree
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I thought a couple of years ago they came out and said that 12th scale would be on carpet from there on out. Maybe not. They were trying to eliminate the "secret special" Yokomo tire.

EA
I don't know what announcements have been made, only what is in the rule book. It is what is written that constitutes the rule, not what has been said.

I believe carpet was the recommended surface for 12th the last time it was run on asphalt as well. The wording I think has changed slightly, but not enough to rule it out.

You could argue that the wording has the "recommendation" only for it being indoors, not the surface type. But any sane person will reject that interpretation outright on the basis that an outdoor carpet race over 3 days is nonsensical. It would make for some interesting rain delays that's for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.