Wiki Posts
Search

TB03R - TA05 verII Pro - TA06 Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default TB03R - TA05 verII Pro - TA06 Pro

I would like to get a Tamiya tub chassis for TCS GT2 class and also to use for USVTA. I have experience with the TA05 verI and IFS but not with the ones in the title. I can get any of these from my LHS but not sure which one.

TB03R - I've had one before and it was pretty good. Never got it as good as my TA05's but close. I'd rather have a belt car but the shaft wasn't too big a deal.

TA05 verII Pro - Never been a big fan... but also never had one. Just haven't seen the success at our track that the previous TA05's had.

TA06 Pro - Couple of them around but limited success with them at our track. From following the threads seems like a lot are being sold.

Mostly running on low to medium grip carpet. On a few occasions I will run on high grip carpet and also asphault.

So if you have some experience with these cars could you give me some insight.

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think all three are good choices but in terms of race readiness, I suggest ta05v2r or tb03r. Both Just need a racing steering set, swap the rear diff for a aluminum unit and a front spool will get you race ready. I had success with both platforms and torque steer from tb03r is not a issue with 17.5 (actually torque brake is a more significant issue). Ta06 pro I don't have personal experience with but I can say the included gear diff will not be as good as ball diffs in low traction condition. Also it doesn't come with aluminum toe blocks like the others. As for Usvta, tb03r should have slight advantage in drive efficiency. Ta06 should be easier to chase the weight limit with left right balance. If you get ta05v2r, I suggest the carbon reinforced chassis to avoid chassis banana boating
Old 12-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi padailey. I can give you my experience locally. I have had several Tamiya cars, all except the first version ta05. I am currently running a TA06 and can sau ti is fast. I was running a 416X with Exotec chassis and the TA06 is faster for me. In fact, last weekends race I had the fastest lap times. I am competing agianst all double deck carbon cars. Tamiya 417's, Xray 2012's, tc 6.1's and more. Two of the locals travel the TCS series and they both switched to the TA06 this year as well. I does take a smoother driving style than other cars, but can be fast. Thy TB03R is great too. Fast for low power motor spec classes. Parts seem to be getting harder to find though. Also I feel it is not as consistent as the other choices. You have to shim everything what I consider loose on the suspension to get it to handle. I would recommend the TA06 currently as I can only see it getting faster in the future.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

FYI a few of us locals east of you will be at the plex for round 1 of the TCS. We will see you there.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Stig US
Hi padailey. I can give you my experience locally. I have had several Tamiya cars, all except the first version ta05. I am currently running a TA06 and can sau ti is fast. I was running a 416X with Exotec chassis and the TA06 is faster for me. In fact, last weekends race I had the fastest lap times. I am competing agianst all double deck carbon cars. Tamiya 417's, Xray 2012's, tc 6.1's and more. Two of the locals travel the TCS series and they both switched to the TA06 this year as well. I does take a smoother driving style than other cars, but can be fast. Thy TB03R is great too. Fast for low power motor spec classes. Parts seem to be getting harder to find though. Also I feel it is not as consistent as the other choices. You have to shim everything what I consider loose on the suspension to get it to handle. I would recommend the TA06 currently as I can only see it getting faster in the future.
I'm also curious why people allow massive amount of play on the suspension arm on TB03, I got mine recently from a local fast guy and his setup have like .4 mm of play on the arms. Is the play there for a purpose or should I shim it down. I've always shim my car to the least amount of play and still bind free.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would definately recommend the TA06 PRO, the car has more flex (provides better grip on low traction or asphault tracks then a TB03R or a TA05verII) en drives very well balanced.
Last year i got my TA06 PRO on a friday night (they delivered the car arround 08:00 PM) and tested the car on sunday at a parking lot race and the car was faster then double deck carbon chassis cars.
And i didn't had any setup changes done to get the car go even faster.
This chassis has more potential then most of the double deck chassis drivers will admit.
I'm also being faster with the TA06 PRO then with my TRF416X with lipo chassis.
The changes i've done to the chassis are alu suspension mounts and a carbon reinforced chassis (carbon reinforced chassis is only used for indoor tracks) and added recently all the carbon parts and the car is even better.
At some races i'm the only one that drives a plastic chassis and i finished 1st and the other race 2nd, i think that proves that this chassis has a lot more to offer then most of the pilots think.
Plus there is a better support for parts then the other types of chassis you mentioned above.
On the internet you can find some intresting tips to have some more weight saving to enhance grip and acceleration.
Hope this helps
Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

I have a 417x, my friend went from a ta05 to the ta06 pro, he was always quite a ways behind the rest of us, but now with the new ta06 pro, is usually first or second, which made most of the other guys get a ta06 pro, so they could be ahead again and they are.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

that's what i mean, the TA06 PRO drives much easier then a TRF417 or any other TRf chassis and it's more forgiving when you make mistakes.
Just my opinion on this chassis.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

I'm a novice so take my word with a grain of salt. I've owned TB03 and TA05V2 and driven a couple TA06.

The TB03 was what I started with for almost 2 years. The drivetrain was very durable. I enjoyed it while I was using the Black cans. When I switched to brushless 17.5T, I didn't quite like it as much.

I'm currently driven a TA05V2 with Exotek. I really like it. I felt much more comfortable to driving the car with 17.5T compare to the TB03.

I drove a local racer's TA06. To me, it almost felt like it was between a TA05 and a TB03.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys... you've given me some food for thought! Probably will eventually come down to price but it was good to see some good arguements for all the cars I listed.

Stig we will see you in Omaha! What classes you gonna run? Have you run TCS in Omaha in past years?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

I will be running GT2 and GT1 at the plex. First year for me in TCS racing, but my friends Bruce and Kelvin have raced there in TCS series. They got me hooked on the Tamiya deal and they are both fast and smooth. By the way, I will running TA06's in GT2 and GT1 there. The 416 and 417 will be bench warmers.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Stig US
I will be running GT2 and GT1 at the plex. First year for me in TCS racing, but my friends Bruce and Kelvin have raced there in TCS series. They got me hooked on the Tamiya deal and they are both fast and smooth. By the way, I will running TA06's in GT2 and GT1 there. The 416 and 417 will be bench warmers.
I've raced against both Bruce and Kelvin at TCS and the Scale Nats in Ill. I'll be running GT1 with my 417x and either GT2 (if I get a car for it) or F1. Last year we only had 3 in GT1 but this year should be better. I'm pretty sure there will be about 3 from here and if the same as last year run plus you we should have at least 6... hopefully more. GT2 should be double that number if not more.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
that's what i mean, the TA06 PRO drives much easier then a TRF417 or any other TRf chassis and it's more forgiving when you make mistakes.
Just my opinion on this chassis.
Must be becuase the motor and the batteries are in the middle !